View Poll Results: We NEED new character models ASAP!

Voters
382. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I want new vanilla models immediately!

    338 88.48%
  • No! We can wait a bit longer. I'd prefer 2 new races instead.

    44 11.52%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
LastLast
  1. #141
    They can update the models all they want, I aint ever playing a gnome!

  2. #142
    Just how many sentient races can the one poxy planet sustain? New models are incoming; as graphical updates go this one is a no-brainer. They have already told us they are working on them, and I just can't find myself getting excited at yet another new race, so if it's either/or then I'll take the new models thank you very much.

  3. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    Lol no, Blizzard has been promising new models since wotlk... still hasn't happened. They always say they are working on it... yet it always vanishes. When you call them out on it you just get the reply "WHAT NEW FEATURE WOULD YOU GIVE UP? HUH? WHICH ONE" To which I reply "LFR"
    Nope. All the way up until the Blizzcon where Mop was announced Blizzard's official stance was they want to update character models but don't want to dedicate the resources to that quite yet as they had other things they wanted to get done first Psuch as Azeroth revamP in Cata among other things). Since then the language used has significantly changed and they flat out came out and said yes they are working on it and yes they have been hiring new artists specifically for that purpose. In fact I recall having to point out to more than a few people at the time the new job postings that went up on Blizzard's career page looking for new artists for Wow. Also care to quote where Blizzard has asked us if we are willing to give up features not even worked on by artists in favor of new character models? Because that NEVER happened. It is only ignorant armchair developers who ask questions like that.

  4. #144
    There's one question I haven't seen answered yet, so I'd like to pose it to you guys and hopefully get a response. I'm all for seeing the new models & animations coming, but why are so many people thinking that's the ONLY thing involved in making a new race? A new race has to have the proper background, the introduction, the cinematics, the zones with all their art assets, the quests, the items, the racials, the armor designs, the models & animations, and the voices.

    If you're choosing just new models & animations over one or two new races, where will all that other development go, and how can Blizzard make it visible to show us they're not simply cutting out all that extra stuff?

    Avatar by Ely
    My deviantART

  5. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineluki View Post
    I disagree, the quality of vanilla and even BC models is terrible. With the competition in the MMO market these days they do NEED new models.
    No I'm sorry but a distinction needs to be made and players need to get this through their thick skulls: claiming something is a "need" when it isn't is a surefire way to make sure Blizzard digs in their heels and ignores feedback. You are only doing yourself and others a disservice by devaluing potential constructive feedback in such a way. It boggles my mind that people still can't grasp this even nearly 9 years later.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    What he said. I really can't see the point in this thread because they are already taking priority.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Mark my word. The new models are already finished they are just holding them back for a selling point for next expansion. Blizzard isn't dumb. They can see the extra expansion sales just from having new race models come with it.
    It won't be a selling point. Updated models are likely to come with 6.0 and the expansion but it won't require purchase of the expansion. Please do keep in mind that prior to Mop's release Blizzard stated from that point on, all races will be available to all players regardless of account level. Why on earth would new models be any different?

  6. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    No I'm sorry but a distinction needs to be made and players need to get this through their thick skulls: claiming something is a "need" when it isn't is a surefire way to make sure Blizzard digs in their heels and ignores feedback. You are only doing yourself and others a disservice by devaluing potential constructive feedback in such a way. It boggles my mind that people still can't grasp this even nearly 9 years later.
    I dont think you get it, Im actually quite happy with both my Belf and Undead. They are both completely armored and you cant see the models anyway. I do feel that for Blizzard to be competitive from a business stand point they need to have models that arent terrible like the vanilla/bc models. Someone coming from one of those other games is going to log in for the first time and be confronted with these really ugly models, and you know what they say about first impressions...

  7. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineluki View Post
    You dont have to dethrone WoW to be competition, with the large number of MMOs on the market, and many of them being decent, that means WoW does have a lot of competition to think about. 400K players playing another MMO is potentially 400K not playing WoW(potentially meaning some could be playing both). You dont stay at the top by ignoring the competition just because they dont destroy your business.

    Edit: In an MMORPG your character is a major part of the game, when everyone else has better looking characters that your game you dont just ignore it because "you are number 1 and dominate the genre" you update them to be competitive so you dont lose the dominating position.
    No mmo has yet to actually compete on the same level as Wow. They have tried, failed spectacularly and gone free to play. Swtor is a prime example of this. The only mmo that has come close is Rift.

  8. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    No I'm sorry but a distinction needs to be made and players need to get this through their thick skulls: claiming something is a "need" when it isn't is a surefire way to make sure Blizzard digs in their heels and ignores feedback. You are only doing yourself and others a disservice by devaluing potential constructive feedback in such a way. It boggles my mind that people still can't grasp this even nearly 9 years later.

    It won't be a selling point. Updated models are likely to come with 6.0 and the expansion but it won't require purchase of the expansion. Please do keep in mind that prior to Mop's release Blizzard stated from that point on, all races will be available to all players regardless of account level. Why on earth would new models be any different?
    Keep in mind that things they introduce in new expansions that are available to everyone are selling points. Not for the expansion, but for people who are simply going to renew their subscriptions. I doubt there are all too many people who don't get the new expansions when they come out, but that's the sort of thing that will help convince people to keep playing.

    Avatar by Ely
    My deviantART

  9. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Nice try, but no.



    Nothing in a video game is inherently NEEDED. The need for things in a game is bred by a "want"/desire. Therefore, players need the models just as much as they need new raids. In other words: they need neither. They want both.



    The "want, not need" argument is really damn incorrect when it comes to something we don't need in the first place.
    There is still an important distinction between want and need and using the correct words can only help convince Blizzard to make changes. Sorry but that is a fact.

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    There is still an important distinction between want and need and using the correct words can only help convince Blizzard to make changes. Sorry but that is a fact.

    Well, explain that distinction for me, please. Maybe I could understand it then.
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    Well it's good to see the keyboard activists in full effect. Doing the laziest, most asinine thing they could think of off the top of their heads and calling it justice while making no difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H20
    Blizzard effectively wants to have its cake and eat it too by pretending to have this groundbreaking war in a faction capital while at the same time being completely unwilling to portray logical consequences of such an event.

  11. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Yes because obviously Blizzard had to strain their budget and every resource for at least two years now, and they will just barely manage to update the models in time for the next expansion marketing to begin.

    No way they could also squeeze in one or two more races in time. We should be thankful to have a game at all.
    Oh give it a fucking a rest. No one from Blizzard has ever implied there are budget issues. What they have said however is they felt other changes in the game warranted a certain allocation of resources over that of updated character models. Again the Azeroth revamp in Cata is a good example of this. Not that it matters anymore since for well over a year now Blizzard's language on the matter has changed significantly from a "eventually" to a "yes we are working on it right now and hiring new artists to get it done". Stop with the intellectual dishonesty already. We get it. People don't like how Blizzard has developed this game. Great. You don't need to lie, manipulate, use hyperbole or anything else to give your opinion more merit.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    No. Your argument just falls to shambles entirely.



    Games are a form of entertainment. Entertainment is not a necessity, but a desire, a quality of life improvement.


    MMOs are that way too, by extension.


    Raids are also NOT a necessity.



    See how you can break -anything- WoW down to "not required" if you start using that argument? So please don't. A large group wanting something is WoW's version of "needing" it. :P
    And yet more intellectual dishonesty. When people bring up the difference between want and need, it is in the context of the game ONLY. Stop trying to side step this, you are failing miserably at it.

  12. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Oh give it a fucking a rest. No one from Blizzard has ever implied there are budget issues. What they have said however is they felt other changes in the game warranted a certain allocation of resources over that of updated character models. Again the Azeroth revamp in Cata is a good example of this. Not that it matters anymore since for well over a year now Blizzard's language on the matter has changed significantly from a "eventually" to a "yes we are working on it right now and hiring new artists to get it done". Stop with the intellectual dishonesty already. We get it. People don't like how Blizzard has developed this game. Great. You don't need to lie, manipulate, use hyperbole or anything else to give your opinion more merit.

    - - - Updated - - -



    And yet more intellectual dishonesty. When people bring up the difference between want and need, it is in the context of the game ONLY. Stop trying to side step this, you are failing miserably at it.

    You keep mentioning these words, but can you add reason to that? Or will you just keep attacking me instead of my argument?
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    Well it's good to see the keyboard activists in full effect. Doing the laziest, most asinine thing they could think of off the top of their heads and calling it justice while making no difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H20
    Blizzard effectively wants to have its cake and eat it too by pretending to have this groundbreaking war in a faction capital while at the same time being completely unwilling to portray logical consequences of such an event.

  13. #153
    The Lightbringer UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,841
    Why would you ever want to settle for just one or the other? Why not new models and new races? Despite the fact you are FAR more likely to get both anyway.

    In no known universe would Blizzard be stupid enough to make new models something to sell you an expansion. It will be new races that do that and the updated models will go to everyone regardless of expansion level anyway, imo, just like the vanilla world update did in Cataclysm.

    Funny thing is, if they hadn't mentioned they were working on them, none of you would be crying as hard for them as you are.
    Last edited by UnifiedDivide; 2013-08-18 at 09:04 PM.

    Rarely updated...

  14. #154
    Imo, Adding updated player models as part of an expansion, or use the function to hype it.
    Would be an insult to their player base, not to mention it would give the impression that we evolved from "valued" customers to Electronic Arts Milk cows ( aka cod players ).

    They should add the update during SoO, we waited for it long enough.

  15. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    if they can do both, and do them well, not half ass one or the other, sure. But their rhetoric when asked about anything has been "what are you willing to sacrifice?" and this poll makes the answer clear, at least from the users here. We are willing to sacrifice a new class and/or two new races to have the old ones updated and brought to a standard ahead of what Pandaren and Worgen/Goblin are at.
    You are full of shit and the only rhetoric I see is coming from you. Blizzard has never ever said any such thing in regards to character models as they understand (unlike the armchair developers) that different people work on different things. Development of new classes has NOTHING to do with graphics. NONE. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Quote me where Blizzard has said this or just shut your trap already. The only time Blizzard has brought up this scenario has been in terms of actual content like raids vs dungeons.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ineluki View Post
    That has nothing to do with what I was talking about. Please try and reread what I said and comprehend it. Its all about the business of selling your game...
    It is the height of arrogance to tell someone they didn't read your post when they disagree with it. If anyone needs to read here it is you.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by gguga12 View Post
    Well if they give us new models they need to update goblins and worgens too, and i think blizz can do new models and new classes
    Goblins and worgen are fine. There is no need to update them. They aren't even remotely that old.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    And so do I. And nothing in a game, nor the game itself is NEEDED. Making a game caters to the wants of people who seek entertainment in itself.
    Needs exist within the context of a game. No one is stating otherwise but you. Not one single person has compared in game needs with real life needs.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ineluki View Post
    You obviously dont get it, its the whole package that makes a game. If you want to stay the best of the best you have the WHOLE package not just bits and pieces. Every little bit that a competitor does better than you is a little bit you lose. When it comes to characters in the an MMORPG it does matter, just look at the number of people that are worried about the new models because they dont want to lose the character they have built up over the years. To be number one you have to look at ALL the details, big or small.
    It's funny how only Wow is required to have the "whole package" yet any old shit mmo that gets released is a-ok because it isn't Wow.

  16. #156
    Moderator Kerdoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,078
    I would take new Dwarf and Human models over any new race or class! Looking forward to that soo much!

  17. #157
    Pit Lord Worgoblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kronos WoW - Vanilla server
    Posts
    2,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Yeah, except there's 8 new models to make. Also we're probably going to get things like sub-races, new expressions, tattoos, and other stuff.
    Sub-races would be amazing. I'm not counting on it though.

  18. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulklas View Post
    New models are long overdue.

    I haven't played the game in over 3 years. And I haven't seriously played it in over 4.

    If they do a good job on the new models I will come back.
    Unless you quit the game over old models I'm not sure how new ones will resolve any of your issues with the game. I think this is the trap a lot of the people who claim new models are "needed". They think for whatever reason new models means a brand new game with none of the issues that existed prior.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Sicc View Post
    While character models are not the core of a game you see them 100% of your game time even when you are not directly watching them. Let me explain why. How much time do you spend looking at your back, your own bottom or your own feet (IRL)? Probably not much. Close to zero. But if they were ugly, disgusting, you would feel bad about it. Its enough to see something once and it will virtually exist in your head. Even if you don't look at your character face or blocky fingers all day, you know how bad they look and while playing with it, it gives a feeling for your game. Some players spend money on payed character modification. Why is that? They recolor their hair even under a helmet! They like 3D belts while it cannot be seen from behind (I like them too). It matter becuse your looks are actually not for your own. It exists to show off to others. Like in the real world, we want others to look at us and think about us as beautiful, cute, badass or whatever you like. The same needs manifest in a game. For most of us playing a badass character feels better than playing with a stick figure. Rough examples, but the same is true for less improvements. As a 3D model feels better than a stick figure, a good 3D model feels even better.

    It does not matter how much time you spent at watching something. The whole intro cinematic is for the show. Ppl spend like 20 minutes watching it over the lifespan of an expansion, but it is important. Helps to hook up players.

    New content comes from a different source than new player models! (well, mostly different sources) Some keep telling they rather want new content than new player models. You know there are seperate teams for different jobs right? Its not like making new models will prevent writers making new stories or designers coming up with exciting boss mechanics. Even if some of the teams are shared, they don't work on new content 100% of their time anyway. And new character models are not just for you to play with. Those are the npc-s around the world too. They are there as bosses, trash, quest givers, guards in cities. Making new models automatically replaces thousands of npc-s too. They will appear in a new raid aswell. If you see trolls inn a raid, they will have new troll models too.

    And if they don't have enough employe to work, get more. They must have enough money.
    Nope. Sorry. NPCs use entirely different models than character models. Again Blizzard has stated this time and again.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by GuniorBinda View Post
    Heading off the anti-reuse faction?

    Fallen protectors. re use
    Norushen. re use
    Sha of Pride. re use
    General Nazgrim. re use
    Spoils of Pandaria. re use
    Paragons of the Klaxxi. re use

    Not a huge improvement from DS.
    Thank you for proving his point. How is the Sha of Pride a rehash of ANYTHING? You do understand Sha are new to the game right?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldNSilence View Post
    If they don't have the models ready for preview by the time Blizzcon comes around then they haven't worked on them at all. That should be their big reveal to coincide with the next expansion trailer.
    So how much is Blizzard paying you? I mean you must work there to know what updating the models entails right? The expansion is a minimum of 6 months off so what does or doesn't happen at Blizzcon has absolutely no bearing on these updated models being released with 6.0. I would be surprised if they aren't shown at Blizzcon but it wouldn't worry me in the slightest bit if they aren't.

  19. #159
    It's been known for quite a while now... They've acknowledged it and have been working on it for a while... What more do you want?

  20. #160
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    I love all these armchair developers and artists in this thread. How do you know it doesn't require a lot of resources? The very fact that Blizzard openly stated they hired new artists specifically for the purpose of updating character models says otherwise.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Again the fact that Blizzard hired new artists specifically to update character models speaks to the fact that it is a priority. While it may or may not be top priority it is way up there way higher than it has ever been before. Let's stop pretending otherwise.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I love the arrogance of some people on these forums who actually think they are giving Blizzard any actual ideas at all when it is all the same tired old rehashed complaints. Blizzard isn't looking to "get away" with anything.

    - - - Updated - - -



    NPC models aren't even remotely the same as character models and again Blizzard has stated this multiple times.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Blizzard has never ever said this. In fact they have gone to great effort to explain to players that NPC models have nothing to do with character models and that we shouldn't expect a change in one to be made in the other.
    Garrosh's is. I'm not talking about his reskin. I'm saying that his is a whole new model with a new skeleton. This is the NPC that has that. Not Jaina nor the the Trolls in ToT have this. Only Garrosh. And he also has new animations. Why the hell would they add /dance and /kiss to an NPC model that look way differently than the ones we have?
    Signature and Avatar by ElyPop

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •