View Poll Results: We NEED new character models ASAP!

Voters
382. This poll is closed
  • Yes! I want new vanilla models immediately!

338 88.48%
  • No! We can wait a bit longer. I'd prefer 2 new races instead.

44 11.52%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    If I count correctly, Blizzard has to make 20 new models from scratch. Lots of work

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Nope, he got a reskin. Garrosh got his whole skeleton changed.
    Vol'jin definitely got a new skeleton. It's not a huge a difference as Garrosh's update, but still different

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    If I count correctly, Blizzard has to make 20 new models from scratch. Lots of work

- - - Updated - - -

Vol'jin definitely got a new skeleton. It's not a huge a difference as Garrosh's update, but still different
    What makes you think new models won't need new skeletons?

To add more bones to enable them to wiggle individual fingers or show facial expressions would require an update of the model, the skeleton, and the animations.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post

- - - Updated - - -

You don't MMOC would have posted the different animations that his new skeleton had then? Look at his model again. His fingers are still glued. Garrosh's are not. Besides Vol'jin's model looks crap compared to the Pandaren. While Garrosh's doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    I'd like new character models but lets face it.... when you are actually playing the game how often do you actually see the detail of your characters face ? You spend the whole time you are actually playing the game looking at the back of your characters head and so detail of the face is pretty pointless.

The only time improved character detail is going to be noticed is when you are afking in cities staring at your character or on the login screen,
    New, younger players will not join this game if they see the blocky old models. I tried to create a new char the other day. It struck me as how unrefine the old models were. I don't even want to use the old race as a result.

Stood in the Fire TheRealDavidTwo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Yes, lets not underestimate the laziness that has brought one of the most content-heavy expansions in WoW's history, with several great raids (and Siege is shaping up to be awesome as well) less than a year in.

If you actually had a clue how much work goes into creating, rigging and animating new models, each of which has a unique skeleton/art/animation set (not to mention multiple texture/mesh variations, like hair models and skintones), you would know better than to make ignorant remarks like this.
    Way to disregard my second post on this.

Let me reiterate on what I meant by 'laziness'. Blizzard has promised us new character models since early Cataclysm (if I recall), and then in early Mists of Pandaria (and with all the new models being done by the time MoP goes live, if I recall). They said the dwarf was done, but didn't say if any other race models were done.

I'm not saying Blizzard was /lazy/ this expansion, or any other expansion really. Maybe 'laziness' wasn't the right choice of a word.
    Last edited by TheRealDavidTwo; 2013-08-18 at 11:39 PM.

I'd take new models over new races, but if I had my way we'd have both.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
    I'd take new models over new races, but if I had my way we'd have both.

True. I'd prefer having both the new player models and a class/two races.

I mean, the player models are a requirement for me, but I'd prefer having both. (either a new class or one/two new races)

I see you don't know the difference between models, skins, and skeletons.

Vol'jin got a new model, with a new skin. However, he still uses the old troll skeleton. Garrosh got a new model, with a new skin, along with a brand new skeleton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I hope they update night elves to look more like they should... We all know they need it, garrys model is great for orcs, vol'jins and that female troll boss in ToT are good for trolls, lets see some elven models!

I'm really curious what the updated Undeads will look like. Hopefully they'll show the models at Blizzcon.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftbirdman View Post
    I'm really curious what the updated Undeads will look like. Hopefully they'll show the models at Blizzcon.
    I know. All my characters are Dwarves, but Forsaken are the new models I'm most excited to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Futhark View Post
    I know. All my characters are Dwarves, but Forsaken are the new models I'm most excited to see.
    I doubt it, but I hope they look more similar to the one from the first cinematic.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    There's one question I haven't seen answered yet, so I'd like to pose it to you guys and hopefully get a response. I'm all for seeing the new models & animations coming, but why are so many people thinking that's the ONLY thing involved in making a new race? A new race has to have the proper background, the introduction, the cinematics, the zones with all their art assets, the quests, the items, the racials, the armor designs, the models & animations, and the voices.

If you're choosing just new models & animations over one or two new races, where will all that other development go, and how can Blizzard make it visible to show us they're not simply cutting out all that extra stuff?
    Any answers yet...? -Looks around expectantly- I'm primarily looking for constructive feedback, but I will admit this is slightly addressed towards those who'd gladly see races thrown away for new models & animations.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineluki View Post
    Wrong, they said it was something they wanted to do since wotlk, since cata its be confirmed multiple times that it is a priority and they have been working on them for quite a while.
    Dude, things that are really a priority do not take 4 years. We have had 3 new races added to the game in that time, all with brand new models.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Why compromise?

They've been working on these models since Blizzcon 2011 at least. 2.5 years to make new models is easy, especially if they had 1 race done and 2 more in progress by early last year.

New models are also easy enough to make, they require fewer resources than a new race. I won't be satisfied with an excuse of "the new models meant no time to make races or a class."
    They are like 10 races that need up dates and that would take a while. I could finish a new model in a few hours but fixing clipping and updating animations are what would take up months for me. Animation isn't hard just insanely time consuming and wow models have like 70+ animations. I can't make texture because i am far to lazy to learn so I have no idea how long that takes.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to think Draenei looked awesomely detailed compared to the classic races. It's why I picked Draenei for the majority of my characters as soon as they were available to me. The animations were more fluent, everything was more pleasing to the eye than e.g. your standard human model.

Now, every time I look at Pandaren, the Draenei model doesn't look so amazing anymore. Heck, not even Worgen who aren't all that old yet can hold a candle to the fluidity of movement and posture of a Pandaren model.

I can't wait for them to brush over the old models, and I'm really really excited for when they're done.

We don't need new races. Rather make the ones that we already have evolve to a standard that matches with the surroundings. It's a huge difference to see an old character model jump around in the likes of Duskwood or to see them run through the likes of the Vale or even the Dread Wastes. Old models in old settings blend in well; but old models in new setting just don't quite fit so well.

Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    Dude, things that are really a priority do not take 4 years. We have had 3 new races added to the game in that time, all with brand new models.
    Blizzard never said updated models were a priority until the Blizzcon where they announced Mop. They have also explained why they made better models for new races and why they hadn't updated older models yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    (Warning, insane animation major geek moments below!)

New models will be short lived enjoyment?

Are you all BONKERS?

I LOVE the pandaren models! If I'm on mine, and have to wait for anything, I love watching it look around and move! There is SO much more character to these models than anything else in the game. Seriously, I've never enjoyed the little details like spinning my camera around and giggling as one of them sniffs and makes a face as if he's detected something unsavory with his nose.

Also, aside from the male pandaren dance being hilariously awesome, I love watching them SIT! Other models just kinda sit down with nothing interesting to add, (Hell, the female worgen look like they're about to snap off their own knees!), but the pandaren male kinda leans back and PLOPS down with a jiggle that emphasizes his...well...size!

I could go on, but you all would probably get bored.

Point is, I don't think they will be a short lived enjoyment. MoP has been out for nearly a year and I have yet to get bored with the Pandaren models. I had hoped that SoO would take advantage of showing off some possible new models by updating a few of the racial leaders with some much needed improvement (i.e. Baine, Mekkatorque, Gallywix (more of a get him in the game stab there), rat head Jaina, etc), but unless Blizz is just hiding them until patch release, we probably won't see them anytime soon.

No, updating models shouldn't take away from the addition of new content. I'm very well aware of the kind of time that's required to put into making things like pandaren models look and move as well as they do, but Blizz is a multi-million dollar company, they have the capacity to do both!

Deleted
    I think we've reached a certain point in WoW lore where every race that has the intelligence, physical measures and distinction to be playable, has been made playable.

Ogres are an option imo, but they're kinda too stupid.
    Nagas is just a big no-er for me physically.
    Furbolgs could be, but they don't differ from Pandaren in appearance.

And we should look at affiliation of other races to the Horde/Alliance aswell.
    Example: gimme one good reason why the Arrakoa would even consider joining the Alliance, who live on a world the Arrakoa
    A. Can't reach themselves.
    B. Aren't interested in conquering/visiting.
    C. Have no use for in making a pact with.

I say update vanilla models.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i guess im strange, i think that garrosh model is terrible.

edit : to clarify im talking about his new model, theres just something about it that looks "off"