Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Well, first of all, I was under the impression Pourekos meant a drop in the standard price, not sales, many of which (such as in the case of Amazon) are independent to the business handling them.

Second of all, I'm assuming relatively new games, or at least newer. GW1 is over a decade old and rightly so should have had a series of price drops due to age if nothing else. (It's still not cheap enough, IMO. Plus, I already bought the game, I'm not going to re-buy it because 6 months after I purchased it someplace is finally having a sale. :P)

Third of all, I'm also assuming relative success. GW2 seems to be doing okay. However, I don't know anything about TSW. Did they need a strong incentive to get more people to buy/play?

Regardless, this is not interesting enough to me to debate. :P If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. My experiences are anecdotal anyway. Typically unless it's a poorly received game it's a long time before I see drops in price.
    1) Base prices have come down, for both GW1 and GW2

2) GW1 is not over a decade old, it's just over 8 years old (April 28, 2005)...that's like saying WoW's over a decade old, when we're coming up on the 9th anniversary in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    2) GW1 is not over a decade old, it's just over 8 years old (April 28, 2005)...that's like saying WoW's over a decade old, when we're coming up on the 9th anniversary in November.
    o_O I swear GW1 came out while I was still playing D2 and that was a good couple of years before WoW was released.

10+ Year Old Account
    B2P games should always reduce in price when an expansion comes out, that is the expectation. You shouldn't expect a B2P game to drop much within its first year or even first couple of years. GW1 came out in 2005 I think, it just seems longer than WoW because it looks so awful :P.

Apparently my gaming memories between Diablo 2 and WoW are faulty. :P I was so sure I would have bet money it came out before WoW. I remember considering it at one point and since I was playing WoW by February '05 I would not have considered it at all (I was hardcore WoW addicted).

That's just really weird. Even my bf confirms the April '05 date. WTF was I looking at then, the game in beta?

Apparently my gaming memories between Diablo 2 and WoW are faulty. :P I was so sure I would have bet money it came out before WoW. I remember considering it at one point and since I was playing WoW by February '05 I would not have considered it at all (I was hardcore WoW addicted).

That's just really weird. Even my bf confirms the April '05 date. WTF was I looking at then, the game in beta?
    Open betas for GW1 started in Nov 2004, only shortly before WoW's release - there was only 1 beta weekend before WoW's release, with 1 shortly after it, in December, and pretty much 1 a month after that.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Open betas for GW1 started in Nov 2004, only shortly before WoW's release - there was only 1 beta weekend before WoW's release, with 1 shortly after it, in December, and pretty much 1 a month after that.
    That could be a possibility then. I was not initially interested in WoW since it was an MMO and my only experiences with MMOs at that point had been unpleasant.

10+ Year Old Account
    did you play uo, no way could you have found that unpleasant! or actually around 2002 was when it went shit
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-08-27 at 04:10 PM.

Well, first of all, I was under the impression Pourekos meant a drop in the standard price, not sales, many of which (such as in the case of Amazon) are independent to the business handling them.

Second of all, I'm assuming relatively new games, or at least newer. GW1 is over a decade old and rightly so should have had a series of price drops due to age if nothing else.

Third of all, I'm also assuming relative success. GW2 seems to be doing okay. However, I don't know anything about TSW. Did they need a strong incentive to get more people to buy/play?
    Yes. To all of this.

All of this is the case with B2P games and the specific B2P games mentioned. GW1 and 2 have dropped in base price + frequently sold below base. As well as The Secret World. Including non-MMO B2P games, price reductions off of MSRP are frequent.

Price drops are common for B2P games.

That could be a possibility then. I was not initially interested in WoW since it was an MMO and my only experiences with MMOs at that point had been unpleasant.
    I remember my first time in the GW1 beta, you started in Lion's Arch. After doing...something...probably a mission, I ended up in, I think, the Divinity Coast outpost, not sure what was going on, and relatively lost. I ended up porting back to LA, then running around outside killing undead (sound familiar? )...I also remember what I thought was a great system, skill charms, which allowed you to temporarily (necklaces) or permanently (rings) learn an ability, and they could be crafted by players that had (permanently) learned the skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Pourekos View Post
    With that logic WoW should cost the same as a house since it's been adding content for 8 years now :-p
    It hasn't been adding CURRENT content though. Each expansion is basically just an eyeblink of content after the fact that you need to push through to reach the real game.

That said though, WoW costs $100 retail (20base+ 40 cata + 40 mists), plus a sub fee after a month, so not sure we should compare prices there...

Regarding the price to buy, in my opinion (so I am not saying "this is a fact" :-) MMOs should drop their prices to buy the game earlier than other games because they have and depend on other sources of income post-launch (subs/shops). I understand that the first sales help with recouping some of the development costs, if not more, but a year on it's the subs/store that keep bringing the money in. Having such a high entry barrier is detrimental for a potential new-comer, especially with so many cheaper and good alternatives. That's my 2 cents on the subject anyway.
    They have done sales and such, but as with most companies I think price reductions are based on sales slowing down (or expected to), not just some arbitrary timeframe thereafter.

Most console games drop in price is based as much on the used market, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I just told you it is. It's on Amazon right now. Even on Steam.

Standard price is $30 for the GW "battlechest". Cheaper on sale. Compared to original costs of the games, that is a big discount. Also no sub fee required like the WoW battlechest which is only $10 less. Natch, you need a $15 sub with that WoW battlechest 30 days later.

B2P games drop in price just like all other games. It's a reasonable consumer expectation.
    I never did get Factions, and it's amusing that it's still $30 in their ingame store.