Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    cataclysm is an expansion

diablo 3 is not an mmo
    oh they don't count xpac?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Not surprised. I have rarely seen an MMO with as lively as GW2. The game seems extremely popular.
    It really is a fantastic game for the casual RPG player. It's unfortunate that it offers practically nothing for players that enjoy challenging content.

So to clarify, I'm not complaining that content is releasing too fast, but instead things are being removed too fast.
    That's a personal issue, content last around a month. If you don't play in that month and you are aware of content being there that is your problem.

There is plenty of time to do everything in that span of time, you can do everything in less then 24 hours if your dedicated. Not to mention the updates are free, whether or not they stay it doesn't matter. It's FREE

You didn't lose or gain anything, you payed for the game and what's included, not the content updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    oh they don't count xpac?
    no, just the core game

Deleted
    How is this possible? Cataclysm is the fastest selling pc game of all time not counting Diablo3. It sold 3.3 million in 24 hours...
    It is not ... check this graph:

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

This is WoW Vanilla.
    From release and 1 Year later WoW has grown up to +6M subs on Eu/Us. They were physical copies .. so in average 6M copies were sold in 1 year.

Lets not forget all the sales records the game had ... GW2 is claiming 3M in over a year ... WOW has seen those numbers in just 24H for their xpacs.
    Last edited by mmoc349aaf9315; 2013-08-16 at 05:46 PM.

no, just the core game
    still didn't vanilla WoW reach like 5 million subs in one year?

10+ Year Old Account
    Good, time to get some of my tight cash friends to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    I didn't even get to the super adventure box until a few days before they removed it, looked forward to trying the Sky Pirates dungeon only to find out it had been removed the day before
    Super Adventure Box is supposed to be making a reappearance sometime in the future, maybe even this year, and the Sky Pirates dungeon is becoming a permanent addition to the fractals along with the Molten Facility.

still didn't vanilla WoW reach like 5 million subs in one year?
    what was it at 9 months? the graph posted in this thread is very vague

Deleted
    what was it at 9 months? the graph posted in this thread is very vague

Graph:

( ill find the gaming site news from back then. I have seen a post with those articles that backed up the info on that graph)
    Last edited by mmoc349aaf9315; 2013-08-16 at 05:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Letsbefair View Post
    I find this claim of being the fastest selling MMO EVER not very trustworthy.

For example if u check this graph :

You can see that WoW in a period of 1 year has grown from 0 subs to +6M subs ... and back then all copies were physical.
    That +6m includes China. This report specifically looks at western releases. If you look at WoW in the west only it was 2 million:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...6#.UJEWi4aM-yo

How is this possible? Cataclysm is the fastest selling pc game of all time not counting Diablo3. It sold 3.3 million in 24 hours...
    Cataclysm was an expac sold to a 6 year old game. Comparision is not valid.
    Valar morghulis

I find this claim of being the fastest selling MMO EVER not very trustworthy.

For example if u check this graph :

You can see that WoW in a period of 1 year has grown from 0 subs to +6M subs ... and back then all copies were physical.
    If you read the article, it specifically mentions "Western" because it hasn't been released in China yet. So you have to go by the WoW West line, not WoW global, or you're comparing apples to oranges (of course, with the 8 year gap you already are, but at least leave some parity).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    That's a personal issue, content last around a month. If you don't play in that month and you are aware of content being there that is your problem.

There is plenty of time to do everything in that span of time, you can do everything in less then 24 hours if your dedicated. Not to mention the updates are free, whether or not they stay it doesn't matter. It's FREE

You didn't lose or gain anything, you payed for the game and what's included, not the content updates.
    With the exception of Four Winds, everything is gone in two weeks. I'm fully fucking aware of what/when new content is available, some of us just don't have the kind of time to play that we used to. I'd like to enjoy the content at my own pace when I have the time, not go "oh shit this is all gone come Tuesday, better rush through it today" every other Saturday. Which is what has happened for the past 2 months or so. I won't even touch that stale, hypothetical, idiotic argument of "what did I actually pay for?" with a 10 foot pole.

Holy shit the WoW sub comparison being made in this thread is making my brain hurt it's so goddamn retarded. 8 year separation, box sales vs. subs, different release markets. Just stop. It's not apples to oranges, it's apples to cars.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-08-16 at 06:00 PM.

right, what was it at 9 months, the data points need to be clearer

in addition to the fact that the article is stating for western release only

I honestly don't like the 2 week cycle thing.

inb4 herpderp "lawl ppl will complain about nething! bet u complain about 2 slow release b4!" (bonus hint: I never have for pretty much any game)

So to clarify, I'm not complaining that content is releasing too fast, but instead things are being removed too fast. I've missed entire releases just from lack of time to play over a two week period. That's some bullshit. If they would leave stuff in a bit longer, or hey, maybe have PERMANENT CONTENT instead of goddamn temporary stuff (what a concept). You literally can't take a break because you'll miss stuff. I realize you're not falling behind power-wise, but it's pretty much the same to me. I didn't even get to the super adventure box until a few days before they removed it, looked forward to trying the Sky Pirates dungeon only to find out it had been removed the day before... and for what reason? There fucking isn't one. Pessimism mode answer: they want to keep you playing constantly like other MMOs do with a treadmill, only we have a content treadmill instead of a gear one.

The way they play up the gem shop it makes it no different than a sub fee. Dailies and temporary content keep you playing and result in more gem sales.
    Just because it is temporary doesn't mean it won't be back. WoW has holidays, guess what happens when you don't get a love rocket to drop? You wait till next year. CONCEPTS!

With the exception of Four Winds, everything is gone in two weeks. I'm fully fucking aware of what/when new content is available, some of us just don't have the kind of time to play that we used to. I'd like to enjoy the content at my own pace when I have the time, not go "oh shit this is all gone come Tuesday, better rush through it today" every other Saturday. Which is what has happened for the past 2 months or so.
    I don't like repeating myself when people don't get the concept of the updates.

You payed for the game and what's included. The content updates are FREE. You did not pay for them, they were just added. Meaning you do not lose or gain anything in the end if you did not play (and there is always a new update out, one leaves another takes it's place). You don't have time to play in 2 weeks? That's a personal issue, it's plenty of time. Besides gated achievements (which are very few) you can complete everything in a day if you are dedicated.

You not playing the game is not Anet fucking problem.

Can we not just compare GW2 to WoW at every turn? I realize people want to see something beat WoW, but a B2P game is not the way to do it. Many people will never buy WoW even if they wanted to play it simply because of the subscription fee. GW2 is a cool game and all and I really like some of the stuff they do with it, but its not in the same area as WoW really. They are two different types of RPGS.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Quote Originally Posted by Vongimi View Post
    Can we not just compare GW2 to WoW at every turn? .
    While I agree with this sentiment, it is inevitable that all mmorpgs will be compared to WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Vongimi View Post
    Can we not just compare GW2 to WoW at every turn? I realize people want to see something beat WoW, but a B2P game is not the way to do it. Many people will never buy WoW even if they wanted to play it simply because of the subscription fee. GW2 is a cool game and all and I really like some of the stuff they do with it, but its not in the same area as WoW really. They are two different types of RPGS.
    To be clear, it's not the GW2 fans who bring up that comparison, it's the WoW fans who see "omg, something *might* possibly compete with WoW, I have to throw my 2 cents in to turn a positive into a negative!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    If you read the article, it specifically mentions "Western" because it hasn't been released in China yet. So you have to go by the WoW West line, not WoW global, or you're comparing apples to oranges (of course, with the 8 year gap you already are, but at least leave some parity).
    WoW wasnt launched on China on the first year also.

I just cant find the articles. Ill edit if i find them.