Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    To be clear, it's not the GW2 fans who bring up that comparison, it's the WoW fans who see "omg, something *might* possibly compete with WoW, I have to throw my 2 cents in to turn a positive into a negative!"
    Indeed but the Eurogamer article brought up the comparison in their article, so it's not entirely the fans fault for making the comparison.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Letsbefair View Post
    WoW wasnt launched on China on the first year also.

I just cant find the articles. Ill edit if i find them.
    Yes it was.
    http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...php?story=5989
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    While I agree with this sentiment, it is inevitable that all mmorpgs will be compared to WoW.
    GW2 Player: "Man Game of Thrones is a good show."
    WoW Player: "PFFT NO, IT DOESN'T EVEN COMPETE WITH DEXTER"

according to the eurogamer article, WoW sold 2 million at 9 months, but it ballooned to 5 million after a year. I doubt GW2 will beat that yearly mark

It is not ... check this graph:

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

This is WoW Vanilla.
    From release and 1 Year later WoW has grown up to +6M subs on Eu/Us. They were physical copies .. so in average 6M copies were sold in 1 year.

Lets not forget all the sales records the game had ... GW2 is claiming 3M in over a year ... WOW has seen those numbers in just 24H for their xpacs.
    They're using two very specific factors to determine GW2 being the fastest selling MMO, namely a nine month time span and only using western numbers.

After triangulating against multiple data sources, it’s clear that Guild Wars 2 is the fastest-selling Western MMO of all time based on the first nine months of availability
    Your graph is showing yearly growth and also using eastern numbers and western numbers. Under the very specific factors used in the report linked in OP the claim that is being made for GW2 is actually accurate because apparently they're not counting expansions which is true WoW has beaten them there. It's probably safe to say that WoW is the fastest growing global game of all time, but GW2 is not currently global so they're comparing west numbers vs west numbers and nothing more.

Again, look at the graph YOU FUCKING LINKED. It has 3 lines for WoW: West, East, and Global. You're trying to compare the WoW global (6M) with GW2 West (3M+), rather than WoW West (2M).

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed but the Eurogamer article brought up the comparison in their article, so it's not entirely the fans fault for making the comparison.
    True, but the link the OP provided didn't, and then someone had to go out of their way to find one that did to bring up that comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Is it true that there are no PVE raids at end game? Thats its all based off PVP.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    Is it true that there are no PVE raids at end game? Thats its all based off PVP.
    No "raids", and no gear treadmill (a la WoW), but it's far from just PvP
    Last edited by rhandric; 2013-08-16 at 06:05 PM.

No "raids", and no gear progression, but it's far from just PvP
    There is gear progression

:/

It's just not extreme like WoW is. You won't see your stats shoot from 100-300 in a raid transition like WoW does. It's more like 60-67

Quote Originally Posted by waddlez View Post
    Just because it is temporary doesn't mean it won't be back. WoW has holidays, guess what happens when you don't get a love rocket to drop? You wait till next year. CONCEPTS!
    I didn't realize a random sidegame was actually a valentines day holiday event. The point is there's no reason for them to be temporary. And how about the achievements you miss out on, now that achievement points are suddenly a huge deal?

Please point out what former temporary content has returned thus far. Thanks for trying, better luck next time.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    There is gear progression

:/

It's just not extreme like WoW is. You won't see your stats shoot from 100-300 in a raid transition like WoW does. It's more like 60-67
    Well, yes...I should've said gear treadmill...I'll change that

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Infographic celebrating Guild Wars 2 Year One \o/

http://abload.de/img/gw2yearone6jkfp.png
    What are the 5 new dungeons in that infographic?

I am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

I am confused.
    dungeons is a stretch, they are counting the temp stuff in that

I am confused.
    This was my initial thought.

I didn't realize a random sidegame was actually a valentines day holiday event. The point is there's no reason for them to be temporary. And how about the achievements you miss out on, now that achievement points are suddenly a huge deal?

Please point out what former temporary content has returned thus far. Thanks for trying, better luck next time.
    You ignoring the point doesn't make it not exist.

AP are always being added every 2 weeks, you don't have an excuse besides your personal issue of not being able to play and you don't' need temp content AP to get any of the AP rewards, temp content ap is a small fraction of the entire achievement system.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I don't like repeating myself when people don't get the concept of the updates.

You payed for the game and what's included. The content updates are FREE. You did not pay for them, they were just added. Meaning you do not lose or gain anything in the end if you did not play (and there is always a new update out, one leaves another takes it's place). You don't have time to play in 2 weeks? That's a personal issue, it's plenty of time. Besides gated achievements (which are very few) you can complete everything in a day if you are dedicated.

You not playing the game is not Anet fucking problem.
    Please read my edit, that's a fuckin nonsense argument and has nothing to do with the point. Why don't you check your psuedo-elitism at the door, since clearly your only point is that you're pro because you happen to have more playtime than others.

To be clear, it's not the GW2 fans who bring up that comparison, it's the WoW fans who see "omg, something *might* possibly compete with WoW, I have to throw my 2 cents in to turn a positive into a negative!"
    Insecurity is teh funniez

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    Not sure if serious.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-08-16 at 06:13 PM.

dungeons is a stretch, they are counting the temp stuff in that
    I see. Okay then. Though I think the term dungeon in the context tof the existing GW2 dungeons is more than a little dishonest.

/shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Please read my edit, that's a fuckin nonsense argument and has nothing to do with the point. Why don't you check your psuedo-elitism at the door, since clearly your only point is that you're pro because you happen to have more playtime than others.
    Please re-read my point instead of ignoring it and not be an ass hole for no apparent reason.

Deleted
    Again, look at the graph YOU FUCKING LINKED. It has 3 lines for WoW: West, East, and Global. You're trying to compare the WoW global (6M) with GW2 West (3M+), rather than WoW West (2M).

- - - Updated - - -

True, but the link the OP provided didn't, and then someone had to go out of their way to find one that did to bring up that comparison
    You are right.

http://wowpedia.org/Timeline_(World_of_Warcraft)

2004-
    November 23 - World of Warcraft launches in North America, Australia and New Zealand.

2005-
    February 11 - World of Warcraft launches in Europe

April 26 - World of Warcraft launches in China under licensee The9

I see. Okay then. Though I think the term dungeon in the context tof the existing GW2 dungeons is more than a little dishonest.

/shrug
    well it was a fan who made that info graph, not ArenaNet themselves

Alright, settle down. Getting slightly too hostile toward each other here.

Cool it or take it elsewhere.

-- Fencers