Deleted

To build or not to build?

Ok so I hope I can make this reasonably brief. Is it advisable to upgrade now (within 2-3 months) or better to wait. Sadly there are so many things to consider.

My current computer

Processor - I5 2500k
    Video card - GTX 690
    RAM - 8GB 1600ghz(?)
    120hz 24" monitor + 2 60hz 24" ones
    256GB SSD

+fairly expensive case, PSU, keyboard, mouse

If Im going to upgrade, I plan to sell it as a set but wouldnt mind keeping the mouse, keyboard etc. Also if the buyer only wants 1 monitor its fine too.

So my questions are.

Is it better to try and sell it now, and build another one? Im planning to go for Haswell I7, 27" 120hz monitor, 16gb ram and probably 2 GTX 780s.

Or is it better to keep it till Skylake comes out and upgrade then along with a GTX 880-890?

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, wait for Skylake. You are going to get maybe a 20% increase if you upgrade to a Haswell, and the GTX 690 is still a beast card. You aren't going to get much better performance for the $2000+ you are going to spend.

Intel i7 4770k @ 4.79Ghz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte Z87X-OC | Corsair HX1050 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | Asus Strix GTX 1070 | 4 x 2TB WD Green HDD | 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD | Corsair Carbide 500R Black/Orange | Corsair Scimitar Mouse | Logitech G710+ Keyboard

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephStylin View Post
    Honestly, wait for Skylake. You are going to get maybe a 20% increase if you upgrade to a Haswell, and the GTX 690 is still a beast card. You aren't going to get much better performance for the $2000+ you are going to spend.
    Yea I know.. but then my old computer wouldnt probably be worth all that much so have to consider that as well.

Just wait for Skylake+DDR4. While sure, you may not be able to sell that system for a lot, you also won't have spent about 1500$ on a marginal upgrade at best.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    Yeah.. plus I remember how much fun it was when I upgraded from some really old PC with built in video card to HD 6870:P It was much less noticeable when I upgraded that to GTX 690 even though it still was a big leap.

The only problem is the 2 year wait.. and Broadwell got postponed so the next gen might not arrive before 2016.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by catbeef View Post
    what kind of overclock do you have on that cpu, and what price tag did you have in mind for the whole system?
    None.. I dont want to break it:P And no idea yet. I guess if I would decide to sell it, I would have to start looking up the prices of used components and probably take a little off as I would be selling it as a set.

Do overclock, it's pretty much safe now. Get a cheap cooler (Sandy bridge is pretty low on temps) such as the 212 EVO and enjoy your 30% more performance for 30$.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760