Poll: Should Females (18+) Be Required To Register For Selective Service?

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I'm an all or nothing kind of guy. Either they shouldn't be allowed in combat, or they should have to register. It certainly isn't equal otherwise. My personal belief is that they don't have any business being in combat, and that mixed units aren't a good idea by default. I suppose I don't have a problem with all female units, but I've read too many stories by military personnel about a woman in a mixed unit causing strife among the men. Sometimes it isn't intentional, but they're always the catalyst. But yes, if they're allowed in the military, they should have to register.
    The military is lowering physical fitness requirements for several combat arms MOSs to adjust for women making an entry into these. I think that's a mistake. The physical fitness requirements should remain the same, but women should be allowed to enter those combat arms MOSs as long as they qualify as per the physical fitness requirements, regardless of how tough they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Theupsman View Post
    If you've never served...or are not the spouse of someone who served...then a civilian has no place answering this question.
    Yeah, before you get the option to voice an opinion on the subject, you clearly need to have been forced into a year of basic training and sent overseas to maraud some civilians for "liberty".

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So because someone else has to, you should force others to aswell? That doesn't make any sense. I don't see it as agreeing with me when that person wants to make women have to do it just because men have to do it currently.

I can tell you that not everyone is fit for a war, men or women. Forcing someone who doesn't want to is downright stupid.
    YES actually. Because a man is forced to and feminists want Equal treatment AND they are allowed to serve in the Army. YES because a man has to so does a woman. and untill NOONE has to everyone who can has to. end of story. women want equal treatment you should get it.

you dont get to select when you want equal treatment and when you want to be special.

Deleted
    So because someone else has to, you should force others to aswell? That doesn't make any sense. I don't see it as agreeing with me when that person wants to make women have to do it just because men have to do it currently.
    Because if it isn't changed and men still has to, then that would hardly be equal thus it wouldn't be fair. If, indeed men were to continue to be required to do it, then, and only then, women should be required to do it as well. However, as I said, I would prefer if neither had to do it at all.

10+ Year Old Account

I can tell you that not everyone is fit for a war, men or women. Forcing someone who doesn't want to is downright stupid.
    Not everyone is fit for war, I completely agree. But, the U.S. government has decided that that does not take precedence over selective service for all male members of the population, so in light of feminism and gender equality, especially in light of military infantry MOSs being open to women for the first time ever soon, I think that they should be made to register for it as well as long as men have to.

The law is supposed to serve the people, not the other way around. If we don't expect USA to let up on conscription any time soon (which they won't), then the hassle of having to change a law shouldn't even be a part of the equation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davaeorn View Post
    Yeah, before you get the option to voice an opinion on the subject, you clearly need to have been forced into a year of basic training and sent overseas to maraud some civilians for "liberty".
    Let's not derail the thread by interjecting with volatile opinions regarding the legitimacy of the U.S. military's activities overseas in the past.

Boot camp can fix that. Those that have disabilities won't be drafted. But as long as you have complete motor function and can speak english, during a draft they'll take you.

On-topic: While I myself am registered, as I have to be, I probably will enlist soon voluntarily anyway. They help you get in shape. You learn some discipline. And you reap all the benefits of the GI Bill. You get paid for it. Good insurance for you and your family. Why the hell not?

I concur with many in this thread so far. I don't think it should be mandatory to register, regardless of gender. If the war machine gets going again and for a good reason, then I see no problem with drafting all available and healthy adults for the war effort. Total war is TOTAL War.
    Last edited by Linkedblade; 2013-08-17 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    Let's not derail the thread by interjecting with volatile opinions regarding the legitimacy of the U.S. military's activities overseas in the past.
    But that's basically what he was doing in the first place by arguing that military service (and subsequently the indoctrination that comes with it) should be a requirement for expressing your thought on the matter.

Deleted
    Changing it would require the congress to change the law. Why shouldn't they just make men not have to if they have to change the law anyways?
    Learn to fucking read, we all have said we rather have it nobody else has to do it...but if it stays right as it is now, woman should have to as well. If the option is there, it's either EVERYBODY OR NOBODY.

Not everyone is fit for war, I completely agree. But, the U.S. government has decided that that does not take precedence over selective service for all male members of the population, so in light of feminism and gender equality, especially in light of military infantry MOSs being open to women for the first time ever soon, I think that they should be made to register for it as well as long as men have to.
    Everybody can be made fit for war. Everybody might not turn out to be the basass you see in movies (tbh, I think only a handfull do) but everybody can be trained.

It worked it the past, I don't see why it wouldn't work now.
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2013-08-17 at 09:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davaeorn View Post
    But that's basically what he was doing in the first place by arguing that military service (and the indoctrination that comes with it) should be a requirement for expressing your thought on the matter.
    Which I rejected almost as strongly as bickering over the legitimacy of our military campaigns. Also, military service in the United States involves little to no indoctrination. I'm not sure where you are even getting that notion.

The military is lowering physical fitness requirements for several combat arms MOSs to adjust for women making an entry into these. I think that's a mistake. The physical fitness requirements should remain the same, but women should be allowed to enter those combat arms MOSs as long as they qualify as per the physical fitness requirements, regardless of how tough they are.
    Yeah, agreed. The standards should be the same for both genders, and should not be lowered to compensate.

I still think mixed units are a bad idea, though.

If males have to, then yes. Ideally, no one should have to be forced into it.

Deleted
    In light of females being allowed into combat arms MOSs in the U.S. military, as well as the general feminist movement, I'm curious to see what most people think about this. In true equal fashion, if feminists are logically consistent, then they should agree that females should also be required to register for selective service in the U.S. when turning 18 as that is what all 18+ men have to do.

I personally think they should. Equal is equal.
    Here in Portugal since 3-4 years ago they are already going.

I don't know how the US works but in Portugal entering the Army, Navy or Air Force is a voluntary regime, but in the year you turn 18 you are oblige to go to the Nation Defense Day. You go the the closes base for your region and, the military talks about the importance of having a defense forces in the country and what you do when you are in peace. For example in the Air Force, we give support with our helicopters to civilians that are trapped in the forest or are lost at sea. We also patrol the seas for ship that may have drugs or slaves.

Basically since we have a voluntary regime, they talk about the good things about joining the navy, air force or the army.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    Here in Portugal since 3-4 years ago they are already going.

I don't know how the US works but in Portugal entering the Army, Navy or Air Force is a voluntary regime, but in the year you turn 18 you are oblige to go to the Nation Defense Day. You go the the closes base for your region and, the military talks about the importance of having a defense forces in the country and what you do when you are in peace. For example in the Air Force, we give support with our helicopters to civilians that are trapped in the forest or are lost at sea. We also patrol the seas for ship that may have drugs or slaves.

Basically since we have a voluntary regime, they talk about the good things about joining the navy, air force or the army.
    It's the same in the U.S.A, essentially, except we have a selective service regime for males just in case all hell breaks loose and WW3 starts. Being the most powerful country in the world carries different responsibilities, even upon an individual citizen, I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Which I rejected almost as strongly as bickering over the legitimacy of our military campaigns. Also, military service in the United States involves little to no indoctrination. I'm not sure where you are even getting that notion.
    I hear the best indoctrination is the indoctrination you don't realize you're under.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

I'm not sure exactly where in the process of becoming an american the indoctrination comes (maybe the causal ideas are planted at an earlier stage), but you can't deny the highly nationalistic attitudes which are stereotypically present in the infantry and outside of higher education. Soldiers are equated to heroes in the media and it's pretty hard to avoid that connection if you are incapable of source critique.

Deleted
    I hate the idea of conscription, but if they ever implement it again then it is only fair that women are forced into it as well. I am all for equal rights, but that includes equal hardships as well as the benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Learn to fucking read, we all have said we rather have it nobody else has to do it...but if it stays right as it is now, woman should have to as well. If the option is there, it's either EVERYBODY OR NOBODY.

Everybody can be made fit for war. Everybody might not turn out to be the basass you see in movies (tbh, I think only a handfull do) but everybody can be trained.

It worked it the past, I don't see why it wouldn't work now.
    Physically, maybe. Mentally? Not a chance.

I doubt any officer wants to lead a bunch of people forced into a fight. Whether or not the cause is morally correct.

Deleted
    Got proof of that? Every source I have read tells me they are not lowering standards.