Poll: Should Females (18+) Be Required To Register For Selective Service?

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    I hear the best indoctrination is the indoctrination you don't realize you're under.
    I hear that the commonality between indoctrinated people and not indoctrinated people, then, is that they both claim that they're not indoctrinated. Which I'm not, and neither are most service members, including those I personally know. I have enough critical thinking and introspection abilities to know whether or not I'm indoctrinated, kty.
    Last edited by TheGravemind; 2013-08-17 at 10:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do think so yes, and it's a shame that no1 in my country has to tbh ... It's good to train the people even if they won't need it in their lifetime. but if War does break out it's better to have more apt people that went through military training ... even if it's only a few months when they are teens and they only get to use those skills when they're 40...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Got proof of that? Every source I have read tells me they are not lowering standards.
    The pentagon has said that it is "re-evaluating standards" to make the requirements more "suitable." This has been most commonly interpreted as a lowering of upper-body strength requirements as well a few others. I'll try to find the source.

Source:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...mbat-jobs.html
    Last edited by TheGravemind; 2013-08-17 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    I hear that the commonality between indoctrinated people and not indoctrinated people, then, is that they both claim that they're not indoctrinated. Which I'm not, and neither are most service members, including those I personally know. I have enough critical thinking and introspection abilities to know whether or not I'm indoctrinated, kty.
    Since you're still under the yoke of the army machine, you're either indoctrinated or morally dead. Don't worry about it, though, we're all indoctrinated in one way or another. I'm probably a little bit too hostile against occupation with military supremacy, but we are what we are and I guess it can't be helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Boot camp can fix that. Those that have disabilities won't be drafted. But as long as you have complete motor function and can speak english, during a draft they'll take you.

On-topic: While I myself am registered, as I have to be, I probably will enlist soon voluntarily anyway. They help you get in shape. You learn some discipline. And you reap all the benefits of the GI Bill. You get paid for it. Good insurance for you and your family. Why the hell not?

I concur with many in this thread so far. I don't think it should be mandatory to register, regardless of gender. If the war machine gets going again and for a good reason, then I see no problem with drafting all available and healthy adults for the war effort. Total war is TOTAL War.
    Why stop at adults, though? If there is TOTAL WAR, and the only requirement for being drafted is being able to speak English and have complete motor function, shouldn't children make decent enough soldiers?

It's not as cut and dry as that.

Deleted
    The pentagon has said that it is "re-evaluating standards" to make the requirements more "suitable." This has been most commonly interpreted as a lowering of upper-body strength requirements as well a few others. I'll try to find the source.

Source:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...mbat-jobs.html
    Wow, I would be ashamed to serve in a unit with such standards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davaeorn View Post
    Since you're still under the yoke of the army machine, you're either indoctrinated or morally dead. Don't worry about it, though, we're all indoctrinated in one way or another. I'm probably a little bit too hostile against occupation with military supremacy, but we are what we are and I guess it can't be helped.
    I'm in ROTC, so I haven't actually even began my USAR duties yet, and I probably will not for a few years provided WW3 doesn't interrupt medical school. "Either indoctrinated or morally dead." Well, that single statement is an adequate summation for everything you seem to post considering that is a false dilemma.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Wow, I would be ashamed to serve in a unit with such standards.
    Yes, it is shameful and exceedingly idiotic.

"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war."

- General Norman Schwarzkopf

Equality is equality, though feminism has become more about superiority than equality these days, but that's another topic.

I don't think people should have to register at all, but that's not the way the world is. So, in the case of equality I'd say, yes, they should, unless they're carers, or parents and the father is in full-time employment, or is in active service himself. Otherwise I don't think there's a viable excuse.

Shyama

Book One of The Devoted Trilogy: The Zi'veyn
    Etsy Shop: Wildlife & Gamer Jewellery

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by waddlez View Post
    Physically, maybe. Mentally? Not a chance.

I doubt any officer wants to lead a bunch of people forced into a fight. Whether or not the cause is morally correct.
    Bullshit, they can all be made fit for war both physically and mentally, not everyone on the same level...but that goes for all jobs. As I said, even among all those who join out of free will theres only a handfull who can actually deal 100% with all the shit they see in combat. So weither you volunteer or not doesn't matter much.

Well, that single statement is an adequate summation for everything you seem to post considering that is a false dilemma.
    Actually, it's not a false dilemma. There's no way to be able to support the actions of the army without either of those two options being true, except for maybe coercion (at which point you're not supporting the actions as much as knuckling under).

Deleted
    Nobody should be required, male of female.

Either both or none, preferably none. Frankly, i find the whole idea of war idiotic, even more so in a globalized community.

Should that actually happen, my plan is to move out of any country that's at war. Killing is bad and wrong. Killing is badong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davaeorn View Post
    Actually, it's not a false dilemma. There's no way to be able to support the actions of the army without either of those two options being true, except for maybe coercion (at which point you're not supporting the actions as much as knuckling under).
    So, for being in the Army, one is either morally dead or indoctrinated? This dilemma ignores the fact that there are legions of people who join the Army to help serve a relatively altruistic cause, one that helps people across the world reclaim their countries (Korean War, Second Gulf War, etc), one that is present in every single major natural disaster providing humanitarian aid (Pakistan floods, Haiti earthquake, Indonesian floods, Chilean earthquake, etc.) Since it conveniently ignores the fact that someone can very well be in the Army and be the epitome of a self-less, moral and altruistic person while maintaining an objective and untainted world view, it is a false dilemma.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the draft is unnecessary, but equality is equality I suppose. Registering for Selective Service for me was just a matter of filling out a post card and tossing it in the mail, not particularily strenuous. I turned 18 around the time Dubya started dismantling southwest Asia, though, so I passed on actually enlisting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither males or females should be forced. It should be optional for both genders instead. There's plenty of people of both genders that want to serve their country, let them do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Some would argue that simply by enlisting in any military group, you are indoctrinated in some form or another.

OT: Selective Service should be an all or none thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Deleted
    Wait, you still have millitary after 18? We dont have that in Europe, unless it is volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by Naztrak View Post
    Wait, you still have millitary after 18? We dont have that in Europe, unless it is volunteer.
    Yeah, well, Finland has. Oh what a jolly good time i had in that kindergarden.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Naztrak View Post
    Some of Europe still has it.