Poll: Should Females (18+) Be Required To Register For Selective Service?

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    By that logic, you're supporting violence by paying taxes.
    Already addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    No, it doesn't. Instead of freeing the slaves you want to make everyone a slave instead. Dangerous & stupid way of thinking.
    How many times do people need to repeat themselves? Nobody's saying anyone should have to. Well I suppose some are, but they aren't the ones you're arguing against. We're simply saying that if eliminating it altogether isn't an option, then the most fair option left is to make both genders register. It's less stupid than forcing one to but not the other, since we're all about equality these days.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    In light of females being allowed into combat arms MOSs in the U.S. military, as well as the general feminist movement, I'm curious to see what most people think about this. In true equal fashion, if feminists are logically consistent, then they should agree that females should also be required to register for selective service in the U.S. when turning 18 as that is what all 18+ men have to do.

I personally think they should. Equal is equal.
    ...I don't ever recall having to do that, nor do I recall anybody else being forced to do that when turned 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Already addressed.
    I'm sorry, where? I didn't see that post.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by Theupsman View Post
    If you've never served...or are not the spouse of someone who served...then a civilian has no place answering this question.
    If that is the case, then why do we let Civilian's become "Commander in Chief"? Your logic is flawed.

No, nobody should be required to register for selective service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theupsman View Post
    No, I don't believe they should. You've got a female willing to do what we do, to go through what we do. They know what they're signing up for and the MOS they chose will be harder on them than it will be on the males... and they know it. You throw in a female who doesn't want to be there and throws up the, " I'm a girl!" card...then we've got issues. I don't want anyone to have my back that doesn't want to be there. The chances of a draft ever being utilized again...that's a different story. Not impossible, highly improbable.
    That argument merely highlights flaws in the selective service. What about guys who throw up the "I'm a wimp" card? What about the "I don't believe in killing" card or the "I don't believe in slave fighting" card?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ...I don't ever recall having to do that, nor do I recall anybody else being forced to do that when turned 18.
    Are you an American citizen living within the United States? If so, then you are doing so in violation of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    Are you an American citizen living within the United States? If so, then you are doing so in violation of the law.
    Correct. Also, if you went to college and filed for federal aid, you HAD to or else you couldn't have applied for federal aid.

I'm pretty anti-military as it is but I suppose I can respect them for what they do. However, the draft is a horrible idea that should never have been dreamed up in the first place. Let's put people who don't want to go to war out there to get the people who do want to go to war killed!

Deleted
    Not wanting to do your service to your country while still wanting protection from it in times of war, as some people suggest in this thread, sickens me.

If you really try to run this course don't expect to be nothing but a pariah for the rest of your life.

On topic. I would guess the big majority in this thread has never been close to being in combat. The argument "equality in one field demands it in this field" is in my opinion, who has served, very bad and harmful. This issue is more important than numbers on a sheet, to have 50/50 or any other arbitrary number for the sake of equality.

In the name of the defense of the nation, the armed services need to be able to pick and choose their criterias on who/what they want to fulfill the job. There are many jobs in the armed forces where you don't need to be strong as a horse, a place where most women and men can serve. If we are talking about the tougher services like ranger/jaeger/special forces/marines etc 90%+ of the men do not fulfill the criterias. Even in a regular infantry squad you are expected to carry around your equipment of something like 30-50 kg with full combat gear, be able to fight/run in it and carry a fallen soldier back.

Not all men can do this, today most western countries slash some 50% of potential recruits since they are simply not good enough standard. Women are generally much weaker, yes there are exceptions, so to see 50/50 in a regular infantry combat unit is very unlikely in my eyes since the physical is too demanding. The Israeli has a unit with most women in it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caracal_Battalion, and their track record is simply not very good. At all.

Not to say there are not outstanding women in the armed services, there are. I served with one once who was outstanding a few years back. But she has so far been the only one I've seen who actually got the same test results as her male squad members. The rest, I've seen/trained were not up to the task at all. Swedish armed forces let some of the best branches such as coastal rangers, airborne etc train all female groups for Afghanistan. Even though they were trained by the best for a long time, they didn't fulfill one of their goals while in Afghanistan, while praised in media as equality.

Quote Originally Posted by Signal View Post
    Not wanting to do your service to your country while still wanting protection from it in times of war, as some people suggest in this thread, sickens me.

If you really try to run this course don't expect to be nothing but a pariah for the rest of your life.
    So lets say you were a little German boy and the Wehrmacht was calling... Saying, nah I'm not into the whole invading Poland thing sickens you?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Could you clarify a bit. What is "Selective Service"?

The dreaded draft.

No, and neither should males. But so long as males have to, so should females.

10+ Year Old Account
    Selective Service needs to just go away, conscription will never return to the US Military. Modern warfare is fought at too high of a pace for conscripts to ever be trained and equipt in time to be usefull unless the scale of conflict is so small that conscripts are not even required. Plus, the the leaders of the US militart have no desire to ever se a single conscript again, they generally make poor troops that are more trouble then they are worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Selective Service needs to just go away, conscription will never return to the US Military. Modern warfare is fought at too high of a pace for conscripts to ever be trained and equipt in time to be usefull unless the scale of conflict is so small that conscripts are not even required. Plus, the the leaders of the US militart have no desire to ever se a single conscript again, they generally make poor troops that are more trouble then they are worth.
    Only way I could see it being used is during an invasion of the Mainland. I doubt they would teach people how to be in a regular army in that case though, probably more guerrilla warfare and passing out equipment.

In a world of equal rights its sexist not to.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by waddlez View Post
    Only way I could see it being used is during an invasion of the Mainland. I doubt they would teach people how to be in a regular army in that case though, probably more guerrilla warfare and passing out equipment.
    The US is, for practical purposes barring a major shift in Mexico or Canada, immune to invasion from a logistical stand point. No country has the ability to transport and sustain a force large enough to invade us, not even ourselves!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, they should be required to.

Maybe that would provide the necessary impetus to do away with the program entirely.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The US is, for practical purposes barring a major shift in Mexico or Canada, immune to invasion from a logistical stand point. No country has the ability to transport and sustain a force large enough to invade us, not even ourselves!
    Have you played XCOM? It is totally possible. XCOM might have to sac the US since a secret organization protecting the world can apparently only afford one dropship.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by waddlez View Post
    Have you played XCOM? It is totally possible. XCOM might have to sac the US since a secret organization protecting the world can apparently only afford one dropship.
    Okay, walking away now....