1. #1
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    53

    Where are the hardcore players?

    I'm not trying to start anything here, I don't even post much if ever. I just want to know where are the hardcore players who like a challenge? All I ever seem to read here are players who, in my opinion, are not hardcore. They like that the game became easy for them. I read somewhere a guy said TBC sucked for him because it was gated and relied on a lot of attunements. I mean.... I never had that problem and I disagree. Theres another thread talking about if you quit the game would the said changes make you come back and I can't even make it through one page with out wanting to throw my monitor.

    LEMME GET TO THE POINT: If you have ever played Quake you would know that there is an advanced movement mechanic called strafe jumping, or bunny hoping, but they're both different while being the same thing. It was also in the early versions of counter-strike but what happened was a lot of older gamers who didn't have the hand eye cordination to keep up complained and it was removed from the game by placing a hidden stamina bar in CS.

    Quake still has it because its a staple. If you played Team Fortress Classic, it's so much more better than Team Fortress 2 in every aspect. People play TF2 because its easy man. I don't understand why they remove mechanics from games now because some might not understand them.. and that is clearly what it is. I bet half of you right now would /quit a Q3 duel in less than 3 minutes after getting a pounding.

    WoW used to be fun because not everyone could do stuff. It's not a knock on them it's just like " hey you have to get better at the game " I mean could you imagine playing something like Megaman or Metroid now adays? I wonder what a new version of those two games would look like....

  2. #2
    The Unstoppable Force I change my name a lot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dota 2 24/7 / Dark Souls II
    Posts
    21,538
    Lol what do you mean? You can't appease the majority if you want hard shit in the game it's just not going to happen. The majority of this games are run by casuals which isn't a bad thing if casuals leave because shit gets hard such as the Cata era and they even admit to that then there losing money right? So of course they had to make stuff easy you still have hard shit to do technically such as the heroics as usual challenge modes yada yada

    To make everything ''grindy'' ''hard'' the fuck ever yeah that's not going to happen anymore simply because money and priority.
    Last edited by I change my name a lot; 2013-08-19 at 11:01 AM.

  3. #3
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    53
    well if most of the game is casuals then i'm glad i'm leaving i shouldn't have bought MoP I knew it. The only reason I bought MoP was because I got a 10 day trail and there was world PvP in Dawn's Blossom with no guard aggro. Now? You bet your ass guards kill me and its bullshit. I was lied to.

    Now the game is all casual, I don't like it. I just can't stand the way gaming is going. Just because someone pays $15 doesn't mean that they can ruin the game and lower the bar to their outrageously low standards.

  4. #4
    Tbh q3 wasnt that hard, ones you mastered strafe and circle jump and with nuff time spent on a map you could move around with closed eyes. Even pulling jumps like q3dm6 bridge to rail or q3dm17 rail to the lamp jump wasnt hard after you played the game for so long that you did every jump that can help you xxx times. (not saying those 2 were the hardest, only the first 2 that came to my mind).

    Same goes for wow "hard" times, they werent hard because things were impossible (some things were hard sure), but mostly because things needed a crap ton of farm to achieve or get prepared for the raid. Now days wow is "easy" to most old HC players because all you need to do is show for raid, there is no longer the need to spend x hours every day preraid to farm mats for raid it self. And avoiding a boss mechanics and maxing your class during a fight doesnt take too long of wiping if you have a brain.

    So imo, the HC player is pretty much gone from wow as it used to be in the start of game, since its hard to be HC in a game that offers very little to do. There is competitive players, for PvP and PvE, but Hardcore players are a dieing breed. (Mostly because as i stated, nothing to be HC about.)

  5. #5
    Moderator Nobleshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    4,694
    First of all, this site appears to be largely skewed with a higher than normal percentage of "cutting edge" raiders posting. Second, just because you didn't find something to be a problem doesn't mean there is no problem at all. Third, the game has evolved since its old incarnation and to be frank either deal with it, or go quit and play something else that still caters to a 2004 mentality in 2013; I'm sure you can find something. Most of the changes in WoW have been for the better, whether you and people like you can see it or not.
    NOBLESHIELD
    Raids & Dungeons Moderator | Twitch Stream | Wayniac#1291


  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    First of all, this site appears to be largely skewed with a higher than normal percentage of "cutting edge" raiders posting. Second, just because you didn't find something to be a problem doesn't mean there is no problem at all. Third, the game has evolved since its old incarnation and to be frank either deal with it, or go quit and play something else that still caters to a 2004 mentality in 2013; I'm sure you can find something. Most of the changes in WoW have been for the better, whether you and people like you can see it or not.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

    So when something is good in your mind/opinion doesnt mean its good to someone else. Also just because someone has a different look at things compared to you doesnt make him wrong, old mentality or what not.

    All in all should rly learn to respect others opinion, since all i see in your post is "blabla my opinion != your opinion, you are wrong, blabla, same goes for people who dont think like i do, trash a bit. End post...".

  7. #7
    There are still hardcore players around I guess. But the real hardcore players often don't make any noise or even call themselves hardcore.

    I don't really care tbh. I'm having a lot of fun atm and I'm even excited to stop the 4days-a-week raiding and start to only do LFR/Flex and maybe the occasional wipe-at-the-second-boss-for-3hours-pug-raids.
    Guessing there's alot of people with my mindset around.

  8. #8
    Herald of the Titans Simulacrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,925
    Didn't you just make a whiny rant-thread in the paladin forum, OP, about how you think the game is too hard for holy paladins?

    Smells like a troll account to me.
    Dr Johnson, they said: “we are delighted to find that you’ve not included any indecent or obscene words in your dictionary.”
    “Ladies, said dr Johnson, “I can congratulate you on being able to look them up.”

  9. #9
    Stood in the Fire Zhira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    423
    The only way you get properly challenged in any game today is by doing PvP. It doesn't matter if it's WoW, Black Obs 2, Rift or BF3. PvE and such are nothing but scripted events and triggers. What gives challenge is the randomness (and behaviour) og another player.

    At least, that my opinion.

    Z.
    LotRO - Zhira @ Snowbourn - L95 Man Burglar
    Rift - Zhira @ Zaviel - L60 Guardian Rogue
    WoW - Zhilas @ Draenor - L90 Goblin Rogue

    "...some cheese for your whine ?"

  10. #10
    If you aren't finding the hardcore players then you aren't looking for them. Players that will wipe hundreds of times on brutal bosses, players that will raid for days at a time when a new patch lands, players that will do pvp until their hands fall off to get to the pinnacle of their battleground, even players that spend huge amounts of time and energy working to dominate a corner of the auction house can be considered hardcore in their own way. These players are everywhere.

    Since you must not be looking for any of these players, I can only conclude that this is yet-another-thread-about-how-TBC-was-awesome-and-now-WoW-is-casual-and-blows-chunks.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2013-08-19 at 12:09 PM.

    Heroic Recruitment -- Hersh's multi-PoV kill vids. -- Raids & Dungeons & Hunter kitty
    no one huntars like gaston

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Joegrizly View Post
    I mean could you imagine playing something like Megaman or Metroid now adays? I wonder what a new version of those two games would look like....
    You do realize that both of those series have had new releases just a few years ago? Mega Man 10 and Metroid: Other M. And while games may have gotten generally easier with time, there are still really hard games out there for the niche that enjoy those. The new Mega Man games are very true to the orignals. You have the Dark/Demons Souls games, the new Xcom, Super Meat Boy, Ninja Gaiden and so on. So while not all games are as punishing as they were back in "the old days" (where games still were designed in the eat-as-many-quarters-as-possible way) there's still a good amount of them for those who enjoy that.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Joegrizly View Post
    well if most of the game is casuals then i'm glad i'm leaving i shouldn't have bought MoP I knew it. The only reason I bought MoP was because I got a 10 day trail and there was world PvP in Dawn's Blossom with no guard aggro. Now? You bet your ass guards kill me and its bullshit. I was lied to.
    So you want the game to be easier by having no guards? Where are the hardcore players

  13. #13
    Dreadlord vmagik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Acherus
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemie View Post
    There are still hardcore players around I guess. But the real hardcore players often don't make any noise or even call themselves hardcore.
    That.

    The majority of people who post on here are not top-10-world-guild raiders. There are a few but mainly MMO-C consists of mid-to-high(er) level raiders, lore-junkies and the casual-types who still enjoy keeping up to date with the changes and hype that surround the story, new expansions/patches and class changes (via patch notes)

    While I'd love to turn around and say "zomg, vanilla was the best, you had to earn your reward" (and, believe me MoP has some shortcomings... It's by no means perfect) the reality is I was in a totally different life situation when I was hardcoring naxx40 clears all those years ago compared to the actual (AFK) life I have today.

    The game has changed and grown with people like me and allowed me to still raid at a "slightly above average" level without taking up 5 nights a week farming flasks and resist gear.

    You say the game isn't hardcore enough for you... But those opportunities still exist for those who seek it out. There's just options for the rest of the population nowadays beyond your 5,000th dire maul tribute run.
    Amazing signature courtesy of Shyama

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Joegrizly View Post
    I'm not trying to start anything here, I don't even post much if ever. I just want to know where are the hardcore players who like a challenge? All I ever seem to read here are players who, in my opinion, are not hardcore. They like that the game became easy for them. I read somewhere a guy said TBC sucked for him because it was gated and relied on a lot of attunements. I mean.... I never had that problem and I disagree. Theres another thread talking about if you quit the game would the said changes make you come back and I can't even make it through one page with out wanting to throw my monitor.

    LEMME GET TO THE POINT: If you have ever played Quake you would know that there is an advanced movement mechanic called strafe jumping, or bunny hoping, but they're both different while being the same thing. It was also in the early versions of counter-strike but what happened was a lot of older gamers who didn't have the hand eye cordination to keep up complained and it was removed from the game by placing a hidden stamina bar in CS.

    Quake still has it because its a staple. If you played Team Fortress Classic, it's so much more better than Team Fortress 2 in every aspect. People play TF2 because its easy man. I don't understand why they remove mechanics from games now because some might not understand them.. and that is clearly what it is. I bet half of you right now would /quit a Q3 duel in less than 3 minutes after getting a pounding.

    WoW used to be fun because not everyone could do stuff. It's not a knock on them it's just like " hey you have to get better at the game " I mean could you imagine playing something like Megaman or Metroid now adays? I wonder what a new version of those two games would look like....
    I don't care if your banned already but GTFO, who the hell are you to say whats best for the game huh? So what if people don't like extremely hard stuff, if they think its fun than thats good for them. Go do heroic and leave the rest alone, not everyone has to "like hard stuff". I spent a good amount of time in WoW and i enjoy it, i'm not a hardcore player even tho i spent a good amount of time, i don't pvp all day long or do the hardest heroic, i play it for the amazing story and lore which i find fun and im not gonna let someone like you take that fun away from me. And its a good thing you don't work for blizzard.

    Although if it was up to me, i would rather have flying mounts on Azeroth gone since it ruins the feel of exploration. And i do miss the days where raid groups would need to travel to the dungeon/raid personally as it gives you the feeling that you and your team are about to enter someplace dreadful and dangerous. I guess these would be a non causal thing but again this is just my opinion, there is nothing wrong with people that prefers flying mounts/LFR on azeroth.
    Last edited by British Bulldog; 2013-08-19 at 01:19 PM.

  15. #15
    Brewmaster Orangetai420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    1,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Itakas View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

    So when something is good in your mind/opinion doesnt mean its good to someone else. Also just because someone has a different look at things compared to you doesnt make him wrong, old mentality or what not.

    All in all should rly learn to respect others opinion, since all i see in your post is "blabla my opinion != your opinion, you are wrong, blabla, same goes for people who dont think like i do, trash a bit. End post...".
    good post

    +rep

    I agree, there are a lot of things in WoW that I think ruined it, like dungeon finder and LFR. I know many of you like these features, im not waving a torch here saying we should get rid of them, just saying that they killed the game for me. I was that guy that loved looking for a dungeon group in BC, its the reason I played a healer, I loved logging on and getting 2-3 whispers asking for me to heal something. I had more fun and felt more involved in my community.
    Blue text indicates sarcasm

  16. #16
    The Lightbringer judgementofantonidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Posts
    3,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Joegrizly View Post
    I'm not trying to start anything here, I don't even post much if ever. I just want to know where are the hardcore players who like a challenge? All I ever seem to read here are players who, in my opinion, are not hardcore. They like that the game became easy for them. I read somewhere a guy said TBC sucked for him because it was gated and relied on a lot of attunements. I mean.... I never had that problem and I disagree. Theres another thread talking about if you quit the game would the said changes make you come back and I can't even make it through one page with out wanting to throw my monitor.

    LEMME GET TO THE POINT: If you have ever played Quake you would know that there is an advanced movement mechanic called strafe jumping, or bunny hoping, but they're both different while being the same thing. It was also in the early versions of counter-strike but what happened was a lot of older gamers who didn't have the hand eye cordination to keep up complained and it was removed from the game by placing a hidden stamina bar in CS.

    Quake still has it because its a staple. If you played Team Fortress Classic, it's so much more better than Team Fortress 2 in every aspect. People play TF2 because its easy man. I don't understand why they remove mechanics from games now because some might not understand them.. and that is clearly what it is. I bet half of you right now would /quit a Q3 duel in less than 3 minutes after getting a pounding.

    WoW used to be fun because not everyone could do stuff. It's not a knock on them it's just like " hey you have to get better at the game " I mean could you imagine playing something like Megaman or Metroid now adays? I wonder what a new version of those two games would look like....
    Funny thing about hard core players and "work". I was convinced to move a portion of my players to a new server by two "hard core" players boasting 7/13 and stating that we should easily be able to full clear in a week or so. I bit. I move the best of what I currently had and they provided a couple of players who claimed to be past top 20 U.S. players and off we went. Funny thing, these uber experienced players only seemed to know their specific role we smashed our face with pugs and the "hard core" players left us high and dry a week later.

    We are doing ok now, but with average players, and honestly I have more respect for the average player who is willing to put in some honest attempts than the "hard core" raider who can only run with others of their kind.


    Lawful good does not always mean Lawful nice

  17. #17
    The Lightbringer Gimlix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands!
    Posts
    3,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Joegrizly View Post
    well if most of the game is casuals then i'm glad i'm leaving i shouldn't have bought MoP I knew it. The only reason I bought MoP was because I got a 10 day trail and there was world PvP in Dawn's Blossom with no guard aggro. Now? You bet your ass guards kill me and its bullshit. I was lied to.

    Now the game is all casual, I don't like it. I just can't stand the way gaming is going. Just because someone pays $15 doesn't mean that they can ruin the game and lower the bar to their outrageously low standards.
    Looks like you were aware of the situation and to avoid instant lock thread you avoided the real thing, and once you got the right answer u started QQing.
    Well played OP.
    » Active MMO-Champion visitor since: 12-12-2012 «
    » Predict Warlords of Draenor to sell 3 Million copies at first day «

  18. #18
    Stood in the Fire Vattenmelon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    355
    If you think of mechanics then the game is harder now. Sure it was hard back in the days when a boss hit like a truck and you needed tons of gear to beat it. Nowadays you also need gear but not to the same degree, a player with not so good gear can do decent dps if they are good at their class, and the boss fights are very complex compared to vanilla.

    Try doing bosses like Durumu with one person who don't know what to do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •