Lightbulb Lei Shen Heroic: Ball Lightning Positioning and Strategy

Hey there,
    Our guild was having trouble with the second phase of Lei Shen, so we scoured a few good kills and found one with great positioning that has everyone spread out enough that still keeps everyone in range of the DK grasp. Thought I'd post my magnificent MS Paint skills of the positions up here so y'all can benefit too.

The general idea is that tank one (pref monk due to speed boost from their taunt) stands by the conduit, and pulls Lei Shen, ranged should be in purple locations by the time Lei Shen gets there, then tank two taunts him to the edge of the ring. Everyone is spread out enough that ranged shouldn't have to move much if at all to soak bouncing balls. Melee can scatter to soak them. Balls spawn and DK casts Grasp on lei shen's location. Stun lock them (Monk Leg sweep is best) and AOE hard.

The hardest part in practice with this is coming out of transition and getting to your positions, especially if you have Helm of Command, because then the number of ranged will be light and a ball will spawn in the melee pile, which as you can imagine is an instant wipe. Just call it out if you can't make it so a melee can run out behind the group.

To see it in action, this is the guild we got our inspiration from...who sadly doesn't know how to spell the bosses name...GG (They know how to kill him though, which is all I really care about, lol)
    http://youtu.be/BoMR0_xIozI?t=3m41s

I'm not sure I get the point of this post, does that position have some kind of extra advantages compared to other similar ball formation that I can't see right now? Because if it doesn't, you can get the idea of the formation within 20s Googling / going through youtube vid / mmo-champion... Is that little piece of information that hard to find for a guild attempting H-Lei Shen that it worth to create a thread lol.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I look at the picture and see 10 people. I read the text and I see "balls spawning in melee pile = instant wipe". Aren't you overexagerrating here? It's 10 man, there's only 3 balls in here. Even if ranged screw up the positioning and do spawn balls in melee, there's more than enough place to spread there and avoid getting killed by the initial damage.

Have 3 people stay away from the boss, with fourth one acting as a backup for Static Shock. Melee stays spreaded. Balls jump, don't do any splash damage, get killed easily.

No need for complicated explanations, diagrams, careful positioning.

A minimum of 7 balls need to spawn, not 10. That should make it easier on the positioning.

You have loads of time after finishing transition to go back in position, just remember that after the second bouncing bolts there's nothing else to soak and you can start moving to the right quadrant.

Lol @Kape. Might be not needed for 10m, it definitely is for 25.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    Fluorescent0

What op started the topic about is 10 man though.

To op, I think you make it a lot more complicated than it has to be... Just have 3 people outside, and 1 backup in melee range to go out if one of the original 3 gets static shock, and make sure everyone have radar 3 on

Quote Originally Posted by Gearshifter View Post
    Fluorescent0

What op started the topic about is 10 man though.

To op, I think you make it a lot more complicated than it has to be... Just have 3 people outside, and 1 backup in melee range to go out if one of the original 3 gets static shock, and make sure everyone have radar 3 on
    Why so? The video he linked is from a 25man guild. He never mentioned 10m and the diagram shows at the very least 11 players (tank + 10 symbols).

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    Yea dont know whats the problem either... its known that the boss only spawns 3 balls as long as there are exactly 3 people not in meleerange.
    These 3 Balls wont kill anyone as long as you dont screw up massively... when the balls are in Meleerange massgrip or stun them, have your tank with big vengeance hit his AoE-Button twice and they are gone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    Why so? The video he linked is from a 25man guild. He never mentioned 10m and the diagram shows at the very least 11 players (tank + 10 symbols).
    my bad then..

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    So, why 10 players? I get having a backup for Static Shock, but this here means spawning 3 extra balls instead of maybe one. And it can't possibly be about phase 3, where you can get "random" deaths from various things, as there's barely enough time to get proper positioning between Thunderstrucks.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    So, why 10 players? I get having a backup for Static Shock, but this here means spawning 3 extra balls instead of maybe one. And it can't possibly be about phase 3, where you can get "random" deaths from various things, as there's barely enough time to get proper positioning between Thunderstrucks.
    He probably didn't know about the limit or something I guess.

It's not unusual for guilds to use an extra person in the formation to factor in someone being out of position but 3 extra is a bit absurd.

Yah, it's for 25 man, sorry for any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    I'm not sure I get the point of this post
    Two things. First, we're getting to the point in progression where less-hardcore guilds are starting to attempt LS. These guilds generally do not scour the internet for kill videos so posts like this can be helpful. Secondly, stationary pictures can be easier to interpret and share to fellow raiders than. If my explanation was a little wordy, I apologize though.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    So, why 10 players?
    Well, I am not part of the guild who made the original positioning decision, but I have seen it in use. To answer your question quickly, there's less downtime and less lost dps/hps. Having that many ranged stack out allows, like I said in the original post, for any bouncing bolts in the outer edge there to be soaked without anyone in that ring to move. The melee move around inside the ring, and soak whatever they need to in there while still attacking, but for the most part, everyone stay stationary and beats up on LS. Less movement, less time outside of hitbox, faster trasition, greater chance of killing him.

I'd honestly recommend going with 8 out instead of 10. ESPECIALLY in p3, you're just spawning adds you don't really want to have to deal with.