Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Loot RNG (including my little story)

So i always wanted to create this post kinda, but after todays events i've came to the point where im going to make it happen. Please dont judge from the title, like: Ooohh its going to be an other rage post about how drop rate is so bad etc etc. No, it will be not, its just a story i wanted to share with all of you about how bad rng can be sometimes, so please read along, maybe you will sympathy with me, maybe you will just have a good laugh, maybe you will just simply say im an idiot for making this, i dont really care i just wanted to share it.

So here it is:

Im in a little family like 10 man guild on eu side, we raid 3 days a week, each raid is 3 hour long, and despite the fact that many would say this is not a lot, we managed to clear ToT heroic content completely today. Yep, Ra-Den finally went down, and everyone was really happy and such but there is one thing that really bugs me after achieving this feat. And that is the loot.

And why am i saying this? Because our raids loot rng in this tier was so awful that it is out of control. Not kidding.
    Let me share you some of the statistic of our rng in ToT:

After 18 heroic Jin-Rokh kill, the plate str dps belt dropped exactly 0 times. (I play a fury warrior.) I rolled on all 18 kill with my Mogu Runes, and from the 18 roll i got 1 shared boss one hander (which is pretty damn good), and 1 completely useless chestpiece. Thats it. From 18 kill and roll which makes up the loot possibility to a total of 36 i got the item i wanted 0 times. I was running around with a ilvl 496 Hof belt, but when we started lei shen progression i bought the valor belt just to get the stat bonus finally. (Ofc our prot paladin rolled it as ret loot spec on the 5th kill...)

But Jin-Rokh was not only a scumbag to me. Nope. He dropped Renataki Soulcharm (the pretty much bis agility trinket for every agi user) guess what? 0 times aswell! Our hunter is still running with a mogu-shan vaults heroic trinket, and has 13/13 heroic ToT progress. Isnt that a bit ridiculous?

Now thats still not the end of Mr.Scumbag's reign of loot terror. Nope. Our ele shammy has boots from him. Yes, you can guess, it dropped exactly 0 times aswell. He rolled on every single kill like i did, and he got it 0 times.

The big dino Horridon: Drops a pretty great agility staff, which would have been really useful for our guardian druid for progression on bosses like Dark-Animus or Lei-Shen. From that 15 heroic kill we got on him, we seen the staff 0 times. Not from drop, not from roll.

Now lets move onto the Troll Council. The name is pretty appropriate. We downed them 8 times on heroic, our priest has boots from him. Np, she rolled on all kill, got the tier token 3 times. Ofc the actual boots never even dropped, neither she rolled them.

Our next loot scumbag candiate is Megaera. The amount of heads you have to kill on that fight until achieving a victory is a proportional counter of the amount of caster trinkets she was dropping for us. 18 kill on normal, 4 kill on heroic, our warlock rolled on every single kill (both normal and heroic), and guess what??? He is still missing the Breath of the Hydra! What a surprise! (Not even mentioning that it never dropped either, the one we have in raid is on our shammy, the lucky guy rolled it in hc tf version on the first heroic kill.)

Ji-kun. The big bird is on the list aswell. She drops one of my bis trinkets the Fabled Feather of Ji-Kun. From the 12 heroic kill we got on her, it dropped once, and i let our prot paladin have it because it is bis for him aswell (MoP Prot pala itemization ftw...). After this, ive never ever seen it on heroic again, even tho i rolled on her around 80% of the kills. (Got trolled hard tho, when we were finishing up the meta achievements, ofc she dropped it on normal...)

The twin consorts: not many kills on them (only 5 on heroic), but from that 5 kill i rolled on them 5 times. I got head token once, and the boots twice. Never even seen Gaze of the Twins (str dps trinket). Neither from drop, or roll.

And just to put the cherry on top of the cake, when we killed Ra-Den today, i insta mashed the extra roll button. There is 6 item from him on his loot table what i have a chance to recieve after rolling as dps. This being an amazing belt (which im still missing...), bis boots, a good ring, a good chest, and two completely total useless garbage item, a cloak (legendary quest line anyone? cloak drops so useful...), and a pants with stats which are good for like idk. Maybe a prot warrior? But its in the dps loot table anyway. And guess what? Ofc i rolled the pants, which i had absolutely no need of.

So yeah, there you have it, next time you start yelling like a derp that 10 man does not deserve loot, and that 25 man loot should be higher ilvl etc, please think about this: 25 man guilds are getting almost everything they want, they get 2 guaranteed Thunderforged item per kill, and their ilvl goes up and up around 3-4 times faster than ours.

I play this game to get better gear, and progress, if i wouldnt or couldnt be in a raiding guild i probably would have quit long ago, but since im in one im fine with it. I prioritize progress over gearing, and im absolutely happy that we managed to clear the full content before the next patch, but when you kill a boss more than a dozen times and 3 person from your raid is still missing an item from him... Well lets just say things like these can take your mood away a lot.

As again, i did not intended this post as a rage post, im not asking for changes in the loot system, just a story i wanted to share with all of you.

Best regards: Dzsozef - Eu - Ragnaros
    Last edited by mmoca73904ca56; 2013-08-18 at 08:47 PM.

Did you stop to think maybe RNG just isn't on that character's side? I'm being serious with this question.

Back during the LK days, whenever my hunter was in a 25m ICC group, Saurfang's trinket would not drop. It was like that particular toon was cursed when it came to that one item. I'm sure everyone has a toon like that- that one thing just refuses to drop- ever. This expac, it seems the "Twileki Curse" (named it after my hunter) extends to my monk- and I only run LFR on her (Horridon refuses to drop his trinket).

Is it frustrating? Of course, but that one item isn't going to make or break me either.
    Last edited by taheen74; 2013-08-18 at 09:03 PM.
    "When you've got to get down, but can't find the elevator, you have to do it any way you can. Even if it's with a shovel."- Dark Tower II: Drawing of the Three, Stephen King
    Juju's kgpanels: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/jujus-kgpanels Juju's blog: http://mouthygoblin.weebly.com/jujus-blog.html#/

Deleted
    tl;dr version: Every boss has 1 item on average that their raid has yet to see drop. They did however clear all bosses which just proves those items weren't needed at all. Which you could've already guessed from the moment a world first kill had been established in week 2 or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think i killed Grubthor like...2000 times (every day 3-4 times) and he stil didnt drop Merciless Legguards mog item.

Rng can be a ******.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

So a couple of things...

1. Thanks for proving that 10m is easier. All of that mysterious missing loot from your whole raid and you still full cleared.

2. I am in a 13/13 HC 25m and I can tell from your post that you have no idea about 25m loot. 25m is not guaranteed 2 TF items. We've had nights with loot from bosses that had no TF at all. So much for that guaranteed TF gear huh? Our raid also has been plagued with nothing but Agi Mail for the most part all tier. Our hunters had no problems gearing up and all of our shaman have full heroic TF enhance offsets by now I'm sure. Other than that, we sharded a lot of heroic agi mail. You really don't know what you're talking about in regards to 25m loot until you've gotten 2x heroic agi chest/legs off a boss that both get sharded every week.

Deleted
    td;lr: oh see another rng loot is crap mimi thread...

Yea.. I guess all i can say to that is you don't get what you want, you get what you need - and it looks like you didn't need anything.

And what uglytoes said above me.

Deleted
    Oh, how about this; during the whole EXPANSION, we haven't seen a SINGLE mail-int belt drop or bonus rolled. Our ele shaman ran T14 with PvP belt, T15 with PvP belt until he gave in and bough the crappy spirit/crit one with valor. He used bonus roll on Feng / tsulong/Lei Shi / Megaera every single time we killed them, too.

Deleted
    Having killed Horridon in every single lockout (with the exeption of 2 weeks) we have yet to see an agi staff on any difficulty.
    The only agi staff we have ever had drop was the shared boss loot one from magaera (who could have guessed that :S) which happened in the ONE raid where I wasn't in. To make matters worse, our guardian druid was just switched out with another tank on that boss.
    We have not killed lei shen as many times, but we haven't seen a staff drop from him yet either. Our guardian did bonus roll it though. (I still have my hc scenario staff - before 5.3 I was running with a msv normal one)

2. I am in a 13/13 HC 25m and I can tell from your post that you have no idea about 25m loot. 25m is not guaranteed 2 TF items. We've had nights with loot from bosses that had no TF at all. So much for that guaranteed TF gear huh? Our raid also has been plagued with nothing but Agi Mail for the most part all tier. Our hunters had no problems gearing up and all of our shaman have full heroic TF enhance offsets by now I'm sure. Other than that, we sharded a lot of heroic agi mail. You really don't know what you're talking about in regards to 25m loot until you've gotten 2x heroic agi chest/legs off a boss that both get sharded every week.
    You cannot dispute the fact that 10 mans are FAR more prone to bad rng. This thread reminds me of that (BIS BY A TON) Vial of Shadows which had about a 0,5% drop chance on 10 man each clear. Have fun getting that.
    Last edited by mmocea9cec0ead; 2013-08-18 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlzone View Post
    Having killed Horridon in every single lockout (with the exeption of 2 weeks) we have yet to see an agi staff on any difficulty.
    The only agi staff we have ever had drop was the shared boss loot one from magaera (who could have guessed that :S) which happened in the ONE raid where I wasn't in. To make matters worse, our guardian druid was just switched out with another tank on that boss.
    We have not killed lei shen as many times, but we haven't seen a staff drop from him yet either. Our guardian did bonus roll it though. (I still have my hc scenario staff - before 5.3 I was running with a msv normal one)

You cannot dispute the fact that 10 mans are FAR more prone to bad rng. This thread reminds me of that (BIS BY A TON) Vial of Shadows which had about a 0,5% drop chance on 10 man each clear. Have fun getting that.
    I think loot is totally subjective. I've killed Jinrokh maybe 20 times heroic and I still haven't seen the Heroic TF belt on my DK. Our 10m alt raid has had decent success with drops on heroic. Most of it has gone to use. We got the BiS Heroic 2h sword on our second heroic jinrokh kill in 10m and never even saw it normal or heroic in 25m.

The best I can say is RNG is RNG. Sorry your raid gets shit loot, but spoiler alert: so does everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Uglytoes View Post
    I think loot is totally subjective. I've killed Jinrokh maybe 20 times heroic and I still haven't seen the Heroic TF belt on my DK. Our 10m alt raid has had decent success with drops on heroic. Most of it has gone to use. We got the BiS Heroic 2h sword on our second heroic jinrokh kill in 10m and never even saw it normal or heroic in 25m.

The best I can say is RNG is RNG. Sorry your raid gets shit loot, but spoiler alert: so does everyone else.

And you will still clear the instance, eventually.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    The RNG nature of loot can be frustrating that is for sure.

Tonight will be our 8th Ra-den kill. I have used my 3 coins every week and currently have 150 heroic kills with zero pieces of TF'd loot (unless you count the cloak I coined off Ra-den - > awesome). I also have 3 pieces of loot below ilvl 522. This has just been the nature of how caster loot has dropped this tier for us. As someone mentioned above this in no way impedes a guilds ability to progress. It just adds to the frustration especially when it comes to caster trinkets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Add Durumu's bracers to the list. I rolled them on our first normal mode kill. Still waiting for the heroic version. Rolling for them every week. Got random bracers off of Council thankfully, though they do have the worst possible itemisation (double mastery, who needs that? I'm not elemental!). So... I can live with what I have. At least I'm not stuck with normal mode items going into the next tier, but still...

Our tank warrior finally got a shield this week and could throw away his LFR shield. Up until he got that LFR shield, he was using the 476 world drop shield because T14 wouldn't hand over a shield. He was half-joking that he'd even use a healer shield if any of them dropped again (which they didn't).

Also, don't mention Renataki to our Windwalker.

On the other hand, every one of the healers got their heroic Horridon trinket pretty early (I rolled mine on our second kill or so), and even the monk alt that we've started gearing up got it on his second week of gear-farming.

Breath of the Hydra is still somewhat elusive, but our druid got it a few weeks ago in an extra roll and one of our warlocks got it last week. The other warlock and our shadow priest are still waiting for it. No clue if our mage wants it or needs it for any spec.

And just for the statistics: So far, we killed 11 bosses this week. 11 items were disenchanted. Of the ones that weren't, I bet that several went to secondary specs.

i got my gun off iron qon on our 2nd heroic kill, if it makes you feel any better. didnt have to do an extra roll either, which was nice.

Shouldn't you just be happy and/or proud that you full cleared heroic without the gear dropping instead of making yet another (despite your protests) whiny RNG loot thread?

Ah stupid RNG, my hunter was proudly the bearer of LFR Durumy Xbow, until recently, Drumu decided to drop both the xbow and a TF shoulder piece. That was the happiest moment in my entire ToT raiding life. Then next week of tortos in bonus roll, i got the bow, which was pretty useless since i already got durumu one. Though, the renataki and bad juju trink i did get very early. i have yet to get the chest or shoulder tier token off animus and Qon. But i probably won't be worring about that now, since SoO is looming on the horizon. Unlike ToT, SoO 2nd boss has a weapon for my hunter, but like always, i think, i will have to try my luck with that as well but oh well, if i get every thing early, i will get bored early.

This is a bit more than just a QQ thread, it's insightful for those that don't raid 10's, it's a nice detailed insight into how terrible RNG can be, particularly in 10 mans. I find it funny people complaining they don't have all H TF, so obviously 25 has just as many issues with loot as 10 mans do, /sarc. I think all 10 man groups have the same issue of having at least 5 or 6 items they haven't seen drop once. We DE probably 3/4 of the drops we get and have yet to see a single H TF item drop - DEing heroic gear when people are forced to use LFR items isn't fun. Argue we shouldn't be in full heroic gear by the time the tier ends and we've cleared it, but don't deny the system is down right not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzsozef View Post
    She drops one of my bis trinkets the Fabled Feather of Ji-Kun. From the 12 heroic kill we got on her, it dropped once, and i let our prot paladin have it because it is bis for him aswell
    lol, don't complain when you give your bis trinket away to a tank

Deleted
    I got my legs token from ji'kun 2 weeks ago, after 7 normal kills, 6 heroic kills and 20 Nalak kills.... And just the normal version from an alt/social run.
    The one week we ran a 25m normal I was not there (sick), and it dropped 2 tokens: 1 went to our pally for OS and the other sold for gold because none needed it.

Speaking of RNG, I never had a spirit gear piece from a bonus roll as disci. Not complaining since i've been pretty lucky with bonus rolls and sitting on a good amount of spirit from normal drops, just weird that spirit gear won't drop for me (and no, I'm not rolling as shadow)
    Last edited by mmoc65ba707d63; 2013-08-19 at 02:28 PM.