Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    United states was one of the first to support Canada claims to the territory after Richard Nixon. Since Canada is already building pipelines all over the place to send oil to the US i dont see why Uncle Sam would bother to do anything about it but help?
    Again, Beaufort Sea. That's been a contentious territorial issue with the US and Canada for decades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territo...c#Beaufort_Sea

At least so far it has been equitable. But with the "war on energy independence," I wouldn't be surprised if some words are exchanged if there turns out to be large hydrocarbon deposits in that region.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Wait until the Battle of Lake Superior, and the Storming of International Falls.

It goes down like this: Oh, you like hockey? We like hockey! Oh, you like cheese curds? We like cheese curds! You heard of poutine? Hahaha, good fight, where's the beer?
    There's nothing in Lake Superior but garbage though :P The only oil you're gonna find on the great lakes is leaking out of the ferries, or seeping from Detroit.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-08-19 at 07:02 AM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kalynn, I actualy had to KNOW all of those. -_- Luckily the further up the chain i got, we narrowed the list we NEEDED to about 5.

GOing to be a GIS analyst soon, so MOAR MAPS!

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Again it's all good on paper and I hope nothing ever comes from it, truly. It wasn't that long ago that there was a literal War on the east coast between Canada and the UK versus Spain. Over fishing trawlers. Mean letters and finger wagging didn't stop that one. Halifax frigates did.
    Uncle Sam > Russia.

Uncle Sam > Russia.
    On paper, not in practice. Look at Syria.

We can't just rely on other nations all the time to protect our borders. Regardless of vested interests, I personally as a proud Canadian, don't want to always be in someone else's pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by tradewindnq View Post
    there's nothing in lake superior but garbage though the only oil you're gonna find on the great lakes is leaking out of the ferries, or seeping from detroit.
    we will find a way to make it profitable.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Again, Beaufort Sea. That's been a contentious territorial issue with the US and Canada for decades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territo...c#Beaufort_Sea

At least so far it has been equitable. But with the "war on energy independence," I wouldn't be surprised if some words are exchanged if there turns out to be large hydrocarbon deposits in that region.
    Its really not the same section that Russia is claiming. Of course USA will attempt to claim the part of it they can and at the same time support Canada on the parts they can not, better Canada than Russia for them. These will will most likely always be cut between US ans Canada, they are the only ones with claims according to UN rules. Sure you can go against UN rules, but its really hard to do if its against major players that dont want it to happen, if Canada was in the middle east that would be another story.

You are over playing the claims here. Russia will never attempt direct assault against a country like Canada, does not matter how much your country is unarmed. Which it is not unarmed, you are a small country in population youll never be a military super power. However most of the Military super powers are on your side of this fight. Its more like pissing around.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2013-08-19 at 07:10 AM.

Really, I'm just envisioning a war between the US and Canada... and it goes kind of like...

Seattle and Vancouver just get high.

Montana and North Dakota bunker down, fearing an invasion. They fail to realize there is no population north of them, starve to death.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan plan a massive d-day invasion into Ontario; end up going fishing instead.

Toronto deals the most devastating blow in the war; buys Detroit.

Ohio and Pennsylvania put up a valiant effort, but lose Lake Erie because New York back stabs them; NYCers don't give a fuck and sell out them and the rest of the Northeast.

Really, I'm just envisioning a war between the US and Canada... and it goes kind of like...

Seattle and Vancouver just get high.

Montana and North Dakota bunker down, fearing an invasion. They fail to realize there is no population north of them, starve to death.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan plan a massive d-day invasion into Ontario; end up going fishing instead.

Toronto deals the most devastating blow in the war; buys Detroit.

Ohio and Pennsylvania put up a valiant effort, but lose Lake Erie because New York back stabs them; NYCers don't give a fuck and sell out them and the rest of the Northeast.
    I could realistically see that bold part happening. It fits Toronto's thinking process.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure the war would end up being who wins the Stanley Cup.

You are over playing the claims here. Russia will never attempt direct assault against a country like Canada, does not matter how much your country is unarmed. Which it is not unarmed, you are a small country in population youll never be a military super power. However most of the Military super powers are on your side of this fight. Its more like pissing around.
    It doesn't have to be an assault. I'm not picturing some all out military invasion. I'm picturing fishing boats, encroaching on undefended territory. Directional Drilling rigs, pulling Daniel Plainfield-esque moves in or just outside of the EEZ. Or what's more likely, thanks to Ottawa's diminishing ballsack, constant concessions...10 miles inside the EEZ, soon becomes 20, becomes 30. You can infringe on a nation's sovereignty without bombing it to hell. But we need more than harsh language and the reliance on the charity of our allies to defend it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Pretty sure the war would end up being who wins the Stanley Cup.
    Pfft, Canada always wins the Stanley Cup. Even if the team is in the US It comes home with the players in the off-season to where it belongs!

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't have to be an assault. I'm not picturing some all out military invasion. I'm picturing fishing boats, encroaching on undefended territory. Directional Drilling rigs, pulling Daniel Plainfield-esque moves in or just outside of the EEZ. Or what's more likely, thanks to Ottawa's diminishing ballsack, constant concessions...10 miles inside the EEZ, soon becomes 20, becomes 30. You can infringe on a nation's sovereignty without bombing it to hell. But we need more than harsh language and the reliance on the charity of our allies to defend it.

- - - Updated - - -

Pfft, Canada always wins the Stanley Cup. Even if the team is in the US It comes home with the players in the off-season to where it belongs!
    The downside being when you lose, you riot! *pokes Vancouver with a stick*

Pfft, those aren't real fans anyway. Real fans don't get pissed off and ragey when their team loses. They drink themselves stupid until the season opener.

Meh, my undergrad is in the US and it started riots and fires and all the fun stuff when it WON its league's hockey championship.

TAKE THAT, CANADA. YOU CAN DO BETTER!

Meh, my undergrad is in the US and it started riots and fires and all the fun stuff when it WON its league's hockey championship.

TAKE THAT, CANADA. YOU CAN DO BETTER!
    I'll never understand that one lol. I'm going to celebrate how awesome we are, by lighting the neighborhood on fire!

...with Stealth Snowmobiles!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...nowmobile.html

I got to hand it to my country. They're never afraid to reinforce their own stereotypes!

Bonus points for the mindless shitkickers in the comments section of the article.
    It's Harper not "our country"

I'll never understand that one lol. I'm going to celebrate how awesome we are, by lighting the neighborhood on fire!
    I wasn't present for it, but the full story is off topic for this thread. Basically, it was policed stupidly. Won't go into that here.

Quote Originally Posted by Selvari7 View Post
    It's Harper not "our country"
    Yeah see this statement is actually a problem. You see it as some sort of dumb thing to be doing...which it is, only in the sense that it's not enough. Doing nothing would actually be worse. But statements like this come from the same people who think buying new ships or new fighters is a "waste of money, darn Harper!"

It's ironic when the fiscal conservatives want to spend more than the liberals in this country. Simply because the opposition has devolved into a "No" group to everything coming through parliament. Like a bunch of kids having a moody because they didn't get their way in the last election.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-08-19 at 07:30 AM.

I got to hand it to my country. They're never afraid to reinforce their own stereotypes!
    Does it come with a free stealth igloo?

Clearly rallying their trained Polar bears hiding in dens.
    Polar bears and nearly completely invisible on thermal cameras so in a way they are super stealthy

Yeah see this statement is actually a problem. You see it as some sort of dumb thing to be doing...which it is, only in the sense that it's not enough. Doing nothing would actually be worse.
    I happened to be driving around earlier today and heard a seriously great interview on NPR. Going to try find it... brb...

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you should take some basic geography courses. All the fun of maps, with none of the nitty gritty us Geography majors had to do!
    /fist bump for Geog majors
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy