Worth rolling a WW monk?

Hey,

I have recently returned to the game and have my heart set on a WW monk. I Am wondering how viable they are in a LFR and maybe normal raid environment?

Also any tips for a leveling monk?

Thanks for your time,

Acro

Deleted
    Pretty much every class is viable for normal raids tbh (HC's is a different story though)

I've enjoyed monk since mop launch, only pve can't speak out on pvp since i dont do any
    here are some pro's and conra's

pro's:
    decent/high sustained dps
    simple rotation
    lots of "muhaha i cant die cd's"
    mobility (best ingame)

contra's:
    NO BURST ever even on pull with bl, bl/hero is completely wasted on ww monks
    ramp-up time with teb (might be better in 5.4 with high mastery)
    it's melee --> less raid spots, alot of mechanics can be very frustrating when you cant reach a boss/add

but overall it's worth a shot

as for leveling it, lots of patience i guess it's a long road to 90 but like every other class it's completely broken at low lvl

Pretty much all what he/she said ^
    Definitely worth it imo.
    I've never had more fun playing a class honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by taineva View Post
    Pretty much every class is viable for normal raids tbh (HC's is a different story though)

I've enjoyed monk since mop launch, only pve can't speak out on pvp since i dont do any
    here are some pro's and conra's

pro's:
    decent/high sustained dps
    simple rotation
    lots of "muhaha i cant die cd's"
    mobility (best ingame)

contra's:
    NO BURST ever even on pull with bl, bl/hero is completely wasted on ww monks
    ramp-up time with teb (might be better in 5.4 with high mastery)
    it's melee --> less raid spots, alot of mechanics can be very frustrating when you cant reach a boss/add

but overall it's worth a shot

as for leveling it, lots of patience i guess it's a long road to 90 but like every other class it's completely broken at low lvl
    Forgot to add the best Pro:
    -Can spec Tank/Healer for faster LFR/Dung queues.

OT: For leveling, if you can, pick up Heirlooms(Leather set + Agi staff) and spec Brewmaster and rush through dungeons to about 70-ish, after that Doing each Dungeon once for quests + questing as BrM is the most efficient way. BrM starts to fall off in Cataclysm zones, so that's when you should quest as WW. Also remember to log in EVERY day and at levels: 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 to do your class quest(At Peak of Serenity) for the experience boost.

For the stats: Ignore Dodge/Parry gear you get from class quests, go for the Agi DPS pieces instead with Hit/Exp/Haste/Crit (And mastery at 80+)

For race: Pandaren is a fine race, depending on your faction, for Alliance, Pandaren would be the best and for Horde, Pandaren is a fine choice as well, since Monks don't have CDs, getting Orc/Troll is pointless because of no CD stacking.

Wow, thanks a lot for the quick reply guys seems the monk community is also the most helpful!

Am picking up heirloom pieces today and will take the advice of brewmaster for leveling. Hope to see you all at 90 in no time

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Forgot to add the best Pro:
    -Can spec Tank/Healer for faster LFR/Dung queues.

OT: For leveling, if you can, pick up Heirlooms(Leather set + Agi staff) and spec Brewmaster and rush through dungeons to about 70-ish, after that Doing each Dungeon once for quests + questing as BrM is the most efficient way. BrM starts to fall off in Cataclysm zones, so that's when you should quest as WW. Also remember to log in EVERY day and at levels: 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 to do your class quest(At Peak of Serenity) for the experience boost.

For the stats: Ignore Dodge/Parry gear you get from class quests, go for the Agi DPS pieces instead with Hit/Exp/Haste/Crit (And mastery at 80+)

For race: Pandaren is a fine race, depending on your faction, for Alliance, Pandaren would be the best and for Horde, Pandaren is a fine choice as well, since Monks don't have CDs, getting Orc/Troll is pointless because of no CD stacking.
    Brewmaster damage does fall off around cata level, but being able to pull 10-15 things at once and aoe it down in seconds is much better than grabbing 2 or 3 at a time. With expel harm chi wave (My preference) and healing spheres you should never really die. Keg smash breath of fire spinning crane kick rotation will drop big groups quickly. At least is was like that when I leveled (Pre Keg Smash nerf)

Once you hit 20 you should be doing your Monk daily everyday...the levels above are when you get an extra hour to tack onto the neverending xp buff if you keep it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not wanted much in raids because we bring nothing to the table but the most fun I've had in PvE.

Definitely worth a shot.

Deleted
    I leveled as a WW monk and it's very fast as well. Might not be as fast as a brewmaster, but it's nice to get used to your skills. And with the exp bonus you get from the monk quests..it won't take long anyway.

I really enjoy playing monk, but as was said in a previous post: there's no burst. So in normal/heroic dungeons with very short boss fights, prepare to look at your dps and think: how did that happen?

Deleted
    Every spec is viable in all raids, including heroics. I just finished up heroic Lei Shen on 25 man as windwalker. We also had a brewmaster and a mistweaver in the raid. WW may not be highly wanted in very high end raids, especially 10 man I guess. Just play whatever you find fun and don't worry too much about viability.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemice View Post
    Every spec is viable in all raids, including heroics. I just finished up heroic Lei Shen on 25 man as windwalker. We also had a brewmaster and a mistweaver in the raid. WW may not be highly wanted in very high end raids, especially 10 man I guess. Just play whatever you find fun and don't worry too much about viability.
    The class is a lot of fun. However as a raid leader I must warn you.

The class does not do so well in 10 man. Its success in dps has been tied to a bloody trinket on lei shen and even with the trinket I am not sure it bridges the gap with other melee and what they bring to the 10 man raid.

I think the class suffered from the DK experience and blizzard has been cautious to buff them. They are aware of the dps issue and are making steps to address the dps being linked to having specific trinkets.

Hope this helps.

TLDR: if you enjoy the class, play it, in the long run you will not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by psyquest View Post
    The class is a lot of fun. However as a raid leader I must warn you.

The class does not do so well in 10 man. Its success in dps has been tied to a bloody trinket on lei shen and even with the trinket I am not sure it bridges the gap with other melee and what they bring to the 10 man raid.

I think the class suffered from the DK experience and blizzard has been cautious to buff them. They are aware of the dps issue and are making steps to address the dps being linked to having specific trinkets.

Hope this helps.

TLDR: if you enjoy the class, play it, in the long run you will not regret it.
    I think they just designed the spec badly... Every tier WW has gone through Mastery revamp and WW has no CDs so DPS at the start of the fight is the same as at the end.

Also I think the current mastery(5.2) is absolutely shit, using TEB while leveling has no use as the damage increase is only 1% damage per stack, hardly worth it.

I would not take a WW for raiding since they will tweak him a little bit longer. WW is not fine at all. They have to give him a burst CD to be viable against other meele classes. There are so many encounters where you have to pop CDs and go nuts. You cannot really do it with a WW. Of course you can save your stacks of brew but that is needed for our normal playstyle. That would be the same to say to a feral not to refresh rip. And Xuen is not pushing enough for a REAL dmg cd.
    13/13

Monk

Deleted
    btw once I was able to go dread wastes in mop I found the most efficient way to lvl was to get the bladeturning buff thing that stuns mobs and does a fuckton of dmg when you parry or dodge a certain amount of attacks and then just pull a fuck ton of those insect mobs near like the road thing all round dread wastes, the stun will prevent you from dying (that + a heap of healing spheres) and you will kill them very quickly, I was 90 in no time... felt a bit like 50-60 with AV.

Just pull everything with a short tick from Crackling jade lightning and aoe away, move on a bit further and repeat.

Deleted
    no no and no!! GO BrM for dungeons and WW for leveling. It's MUCH faster. spinning fire blossom is ranged and hits like a truck at low level.