Resto shammy or holy pally for 5.4.

Hello just curious which one you think will be better for pushing for progression in 5.4 out of the gate

I see h pallys are getting a slight nerf and resto shammys are getting a decent buff.

H pally is a little more gear but I can play both as equally as well.

Also this will be for 10 man.

Holy Paladins are hardly ever in a "bad place". I think you can count on them as always being viable. Resto Shaman, it's a mixed bag. The CH and HR buffs are nice, but anything can change between now and release.

Quote Originally Posted by pretiwhitboy View Post
    Hello just curious which one you think will be better for pushing for progression in 5.4 out of the gate

I see h pallys are getting a slight nerf and resto shammys are getting a decent buff.

H pally is a little more gear but I can play both as equally as well.

Also this will be for 10 man.
    Holy pally is looking really strong in 10 man if SS spec. They're not so great in 25s. Resto shammies ATM are flavor of the patch and will probably be better in both 10 and 25. If I were you ( and I'm a h play 25m), I'd go with the resto shammy - mainly for the awesome CDS

I actually just rerolled from Holy Pally to Resto Shaman (new guild already had 2 holy pallies). I'm finding it different to get used to. As Holy Pally, I could always count on a big hitting instant Holy Shock, instant Word of Glory/Eternal Flame and instant Holy Prism whenever I needed a fast burst of healing. Resto does not have that. It seems to be a different role and a much different playstyle. Figure out what playstyle you like better.

Holy Paladins have historically been at worst in the top half of healers almost every tier. Their unique utility and ability to circumvent encounter mechanics on certain fights tends to result in their representation being in the top 1-2 healers even on tiers where their throughput isn't at the top. For T16, they appear to be in the middle to bottom of the pack in terms of PTR performance. However, they will still likely be perfectly viable in both 10 man and 25 man.

Resto Shaman in T16 look like they will be stronger than they have been at any point in the last 3 expansions right now, and will likely be the best or second best healer for next tier in 25 man, and probably in the top 3 in 10 man. That said, there is always the concern that nerfs will be incoming, but it's unlikely. Resto Druids in 4.2, Holy Paladins in 4.3 Mistweavers in 5.0, and Disc Priests in 5.1-5.3 have pretty much dominated, yet were not touched until after those patches were over. The other thing to be concerned about long term is that Resto Shaman do not have a very good history of being strong long term. They have tended to be at the bottom at least 2 out of every 3 tiers for the last 3 expansions, and tend to always be weak on the first and especially second tiers of every expansion.

Resto Shaman is probably the best short term bet, but I would be leery about them being consistently strong long term.

Yeah, for 10 man, Paladin is definitely still a good option. I would base it on who's healing with you. Resto Druid, Monk, or second Shaman, go with the Paladin. Disc Priest or second Paladin, go with the Shaman. You want diversity in the raid's healing kit, and in 10 man, you can quickly realize there's a healing tool you don't have, like absorbs, that you'd really like to have for a certain fight.

Don't let healing meters decide what class you play, meters are the least important part of healing. In any case, Paladins will be just fine on meters for 10 man for sure.