Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    since noone mentioned yet, i have to.

might & magic 6 - 7 - 8 but especially 6 my young friend you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapetufo View Post
    Since I'm only 17 I've never played any of these games that the internet seems to cream over, and I feel like I am missing out on lot of great stuff. The only problem is I struggle to enjoy games that haven't aged well (e.g. Diablo 1, I tried, I really did but I just couldn't enjoy it). That being said, what are some classics that my generation have missed which should really be played and still hold their own?
    there are very few pc games worth playing, but those that are are REALLY good.

and I'm suprised nobody has mentioned THE best pc game period Arcanum: of steamworks and magick obscura.

if you do get it and play it, which you will, it is advised to also get the "fix everything" patch: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index...-thread.23720/
    If you can't make fun of something, its probably not worth taking seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Valanna View Post
    Nobody's mentioned Myst yet? I'm disappoint.

Also, Sid Meyer's Pirates is pretty cool, as well as The Elder Scrolls series.
    Remember Pyst?

dune 2
    diablo + diablo 2
    grim fandango
    half-life
    quake
    duke nukem
    warcraft 2
    sim city
    lemmings

Holy cow cant believe I left off Police Quest and Wing Commander. PQ 1-3 was solid, I didn't care much for SWAT and I think but cant recall if they put out like a #4 but it didn't have the same main character as the first 3. (Never played it if it does exist) and then Wing Commander...damn... that just takes me back lol. I remember begging for Wing Commander 3 because it came in this huge movie tin with all the discs and books, almost like playing a movie back then.
    CPU: I5-3570k @ 4.2 Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo GPU: Sapphire 7950 Dual Fan
    Mobo: ASRock Extreme 4 Z77 ATX Ram: 2 x 4gb 1333 Gskill Ripjaws Case: Antec 300 Illusion Black
    PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650 SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128gb Mouse: Logitech G600

Field Marshal
    I am certain it has been mentioned before, but Half-Life is hands down the absolute best single player experience ever.

After that I would say Max Payne. The bullet time effect has been reproduced in many games I am sure, but regardless the pure feel of the game is hard to top.

Age of Empires 2
    Starcraft Brood War
    Warcraft 3
    Empire Earth 1
    Homeworld
    War Wind
    Civilization 4
    Sim City 4 (or Sim City 3000 if only for the music)

Quote Originally Posted by Camelppons View Post
    I am certain it has been mentioned before, but Half-Life is hands down the absolute best single player experience ever.

After that I would say Max Payne. The bullet time effect has been reproduced in many games I am sure, but regardless the pure feel of the game is hard to top.
    If you were a fan of FPS, perhaps, but there are those who find PFS games in general boring and repetitive.
    If you can't make fun of something, its probably not worth taking seriously.

Field Marshal
    Your point being? I presume this thread's point is to give suggestions to "timeless" games that gave the player an incredible experience.

Pharaoh
    Arx Fatalis
    Settlers 2
    Knights and Merchants
    Populous

any other I'd recommend were already mentioned, some of the Caesar series might be a good pick but I don't really remember which one (it's been a LONG time)

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    You know when my best gaming experiences were? When I stopped playing WoW exclusively for like 2.5 years and saw just how much games had evolved! :P
    this is so very true. i found myself in the same case. I stopped wow and somehow "discovered" steam. I swear, i will never lat myself swallowed by an MMO, i have such a back log of great game to catch up now.

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces I and II, Xwing v Tie Fighter, Xwing Alliance (love me some old star wars games)
    The Dig
    Sam & Max Hit the Road
    The Curse of Monkey Island
    Full Throttle
    Half Life
    Commander Keen series
    Age of Empires series
    Myth I and II
    Riven
    Deus Ex
    Bah... to many good ones to name.

M.U.L.E., but you'll need a Commodore 64

no one lives forever

Shivers by Sierra was a classic for my family, it's a click to move horror/puzzle game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    M.U.L.E., but you'll need a Commodore 64
    Dino Eggs, Forbidden Forest, Mr Robot, Mutant Camels, Silly 64. I grew up on those.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

If I'm only going to suggest one game it would be System Shock 2. There are lots of amazing old PC games out there but SS2 is the cream.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Baldurs Gate series.

you are giving the poor kid thousand of hours of certainly great game but somehow , without sorting, it won't help.

a small selection of very iconic game would be (i could forget many, i doing it from memory)

as FPS, doom 1 and 2 and duke nukem (especially duke nukem) are mandatory to understand the emergence of the FPS genre (i know there were not the first, bur certainly the one that popularize the genre, must play)

Prince of persia (1989), flashback, little big adventure are the ancestor of moder action adventure game like uncharted, tomb raider.

Monkey island, legend of kyrandia, the dig, full throttle, the day of the tentacle are gems of a dying genre today.

double dragon, street of rage, golden axe (use a genesis/megadrive emulator), are precursor of fighting games. still plays it today just for fun.

RTS wise, i would suggest warcraft 2 and 3, command and conquer and age of empire.

flght sim are a unique genre to PC gaming, i recommend wing commander 3 and 4 if you own a joystick (i wouldn't play it with a mouse)

as plateform game mario (duh, i recommend the super mario world on super nes), sonic (the first one), alex kidd in miracle world.

there are obviously tons of rpg, but i was never big on rpg back then, only played phantasy star and zelda on console. i strongly recommend wonder boy 3 on master system, that game was way ahead of its time)

finally, tetris, lemmings are absolute must know, they are free flash version everywhere
    Last edited by Vankrys; 2013-08-19 at 07:35 PM.

Herald of the Titans Suffer the Consequences's Avatar
    In a bunker, stockpiling an arsenal you wouldn't fucking believe.
    Dungeon Keeper 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    Standing up to an enemy she can't possibly defeat is more bad ass than Thrall using his magic penny to turn Deathwing into glitter.