Age of Mythology
    Worms Armageddon
    Serious Sam
    FEAR
    Wolfenstein
    Mechwarrior 3
    Hitman series

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    I flippin' love that site, it was the place that helped me remember the name of a few games I played years ago (taskmaker, tomb of the taskmaker and spaceward HO!) which were on the apple II, not the pc though. although i think you can find spaceward HO! on pc, maybe.
    Last edited by lavafoxx; 2013-08-19 at 09:51 PM.
    If you can't make fun of something, its probably not worth taking seriously.

Seconding the recommendation of Heroes of Might and Magic III. It's all sprite-based graphics (not 3D) so it's aged pretty well. The music is good too.

Trying not to list ones that have been mentioned and trying to not list to many from the 80s:

-Roller Coaster Tycoon 1&2 and expansions (especially loved 2)
    -Jazz Jackrabbit 1&2 (cartoon side scrollers)
    -Shogo: Mobile Armor Division (anime mecha themed FPS)
    -Anachronox (plays sort of like Chrono Trigger)
    -Outlaws (wild west shooter made by LucasArts)
    -Shadow Warrior (pseudo sequel/spin-off to Duke Nukem 3D)
    -Toonstruck (click and point adventure starring Christopher Loyd)
    -Ultima Collection (contains a decent amount of the early main series games)
    -Zork: Grand Inquisitor
    -Spooky Castle
    -Creepers (Lemmings style game)
    -Impossible Creatures (RTS)
    -Command & Conquer: Renegade
    -The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble
    -Loom
    -Bad Mojo
    -Lands of Lore (1,2&3)

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
    Longest Journey
    Monkey Island I & II
    Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    Dragon Age: Origins (fairly recent but probably the best game in a long time)
    Gabriel Knight
    Beneath A Steel Sky
    Baldur's Gate I & II
    Dungeon Keeper
    Syndicate Wars
    I played all of these except Beneath A Steel Sky & Syndicate Wars. All of them really good games, especially Vampire the Masquerade and Gabriel Knight (And of course the Monkey Island series, best adventure games E V E R).
    "If I win, it's not because I outplayed the other player, it's because the hunter has the best version of every ability in the game. If I lose, it's a rude awakening to how bad a player I am." By Biggety

Quote Originally Posted by Wapetufo View Post
    Since I'm only 17 I've never played any of these games that the internet seems to cream over, and I feel like I am missing out on lot of great stuff. The only problem is I struggle to enjoy games that haven't aged well (e.g. Diablo 1, I tried, I really did but I just couldn't enjoy it). That being said, what are some classics that my generation have missed which should really be played and still hold their own?
    Half-Life 2, Thief 1-2.
    Lets all go to the Blizz-store, Lets all go to the Blizz-store, Lets all go to the Blizz-store to buy ourselves some treats. Delicious things for geeks, the Pixels can't be beat. The Achievement points are just dandy, them sparkling mounts are quite handy. So Lets all go to the Blizz-store and buy ourselves a treat.

Because no one has mentioned it Masters of Orion.

And another holler out for Arcanum.

My first computer was a Mac back around 95, so I didnt have many main stream games till around 2002-2003; we had a few good games on the mac, most notably Power Pete and Lode Runner.

I havnt been able to find any kind of port for Power Pete to date, but Lode Runner was ported to the ps1 with the first and second game(you can pick it up on amazon for ~$7)

Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Dungeon siege 1 and 2; they're mostly d2 clones, but have enough of their own uniqueness that they can stand alone.

I wasn't a fan, but Myst was huge when I was...7-9 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    System Shock 2
    Fallout 1
    Half Life 1 (And 2 obligatory, but not old enough to be 'classic')
    Warcraft 1-3
    Privateer
    Homeworld 1 and 2 (Not Cataclysm)
    Deus Ex

Keep in mind, there are a LOT of classic games that are worth knowing about, but may not be worth playing. Stuff like Marathon and System Shock 1 and Omikron are classic, iconic games, but some games may well be too old to play, or simply not be fun anymore, unless you're in the right mood.

There are also a lot of iconic and 'must play' games in the past ten years (not listed above) as well, but a lot of those games are from the late 90s, early 2000s.

I recommend at least playing (not necessarily completing) those above.
    srly skipo wc1
    ENGLISH ISNT MY MAIN SPEC
    YOU NOW BREATH CONSCIOUSLY

The probelm with most of the old games is that they haven't aged well. I to oremeber fondly some of the games from old, but when i tried replaying them they were just frustrating most of the time. So i'll try to make a list of classic games that aged well in my oppinion. This does not contain almost any DOS games since 99% age as fine as cheese does.

In no particular order :

Gothic 1 + 2 (still play well enough, if you can get used to the controls)
    Heroes of Might and Magic 3 ( still as good as it was in the first day )
    Baldur's Gate 2 ( BG 1 is not really that good anymore imho. Unless you want to see the whole story you can skip to 2)
    Diablo 2 ( diablo 1 is too frustrating to play nowadays)
    Morrowind ( if you get some good mods for it you're still golden)
    Half Life 1 ( still as excellent as always)
    Ultima Underworld ( replayed it recently and was still pretty good)
    Starcraft 1
    Warcraft 2+3 (skip 1. It's kind of bad now without the nostalgia)
    Castlevania symphony of the night (not a pc game but you can play on the pc flawlessly these days)
    Legacy of kain series ( blood omen 2 -skip 1 , and Soul reaver 1,2 and Defiance)
    Vampire the MAsquerqade (redemption and Bloodlines)
    Civilization ( start with 4, it's the best in the series anyway and it only improves the previous 3)
    Command and Coqnuer series ( red alert 2 and Tiberian Sun and maybe generals but that's newer)
    Hitman ( all of them basically)

Those are the most memorable game series in my oppinion that i can recommend more objectively.

No mention of the holy grail of FPS: Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Quake?

Really, there are hundred of games I can tell you, but I will just add these 3 for their values.
    PvE is a minigame // Rerolled from affly to spriest after 8 years, thx pandaland changes

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Monkey Island, a series of adventure games that to many were the climax of the adventure genre. A level that has not been equaled.
    I salute you sir.

I'm more partial towards Age of Empires 2, Mech Warrior 4: Vengeance, and the first Metal Gear Solid. Older games, but, I'd call them PC classic that were PC only on release.

Knights of the Old Republic, Dawn of War / Dawn of War 2, Fallout series, Elder Scrolls series, Starcraft and Diablo series (in released order for at least the story.), Neverwinter series (In order also, though may not really matter.)

I'll stop there before I start mentioning Japanese games with English captions.

Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines
    Freelancer
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    Homeworld
    Age of Mythology
    Croc - Legend of the Gobbos
    Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
    Knights of the Old Republic

Quest for Glory series
    Jagged Alliance 2
    X-Wing vs TIE Fighter
    Day of the Tentacle
    The Longest Journey
    Grim Fandango
    Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
    The Dig
    Little Big Adventure
    Tex Murphy (Mean Streets, Martian Memorandum, Under a Killing Moon, Pandora Directive, Overseer)
    Outcast
    Galactic Civilizations (I would recommend #2)
    Star Control 2
    Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (If you get them from GoG, I'd recommend getting the Baldur's Gate Trilogy fan patches. It combines both games, and x-pack, into one huge game)
    Planescape: Torment
    Transport Tycoon (Locomotion is a more recent title by the same developer)
    Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 & 2
    Civilization 2
    System Shock 2
    Dungeon Keeper (1 or 2)
    Fallout 1 & 2
    Mechwarrior 3

That short list should get anyone started

One Must Fall 2097
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Huntermyth View Post
    since noone mentioned yet, i have to.

might & magic 6 - 7 - 8 but especially 6 my young friend you won't regret it.
    I wanted to mention those as well. 1000 times Might and Magic VI, I got spoiled by that game so badly so couldn't touch any other CRPGs at that time as they looked too primitive and boring in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    Seconding the recommendation of Heroes of Might and Magic III. It's all sprite-based graphics (not 3D) so it's aged pretty well. The music is good too.
    Good? More like Awesome.

Tie Fighter
    C & C red alert
    soldiers at war.

Probably the only nostalgia games for pc that come to mind, I really was a console fanby.

Oh yeah the might and magics probably about 7 onwards.
    This doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4.
    More corporate lies and bullshit PR in the gaming industry.