Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Entertainment, Socializing, gear.

    Doesn't have to be in that order but thats about it.

  2. #22
    Dreadlord nimryas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    809
    Such a silly question... which could potentially have thousands of different answers as not everybody raids for the exact same reason. I recently quit, but for me personally it comes down to have fun with a group of people. Back in ICC times I was in this guild and we weren't that good but we had so much fun as a 25man raiding guild.

    Your point about gearing up being a waste of time isnt completely valid in my opinion, at least not in older raid times were vp gear and rep gear were unheard of. You need a certain ilvl gear to be able to clear new bosses from new raid instances, so therefore previous gear obtained isnt really a waste of time. Also doing something new beats killing farm bosses all the time.

    The reason I quit is because 10man guilds (on eu-kazzak) are disbanding faster then you can say disband.. I had to find a new guild every 6 weeks or so, I just didnt want to bother with it anymore But evern I quit I didnt feel like I wasted all that time for nothing, I met a dozen of great people/players and I've alot the most fun online with those people.

    Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

  3. #23
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Posts
    12,205
    If gear is your sole motivation, than there isn't one outside of that short window when your gear is BiS.

    Most people raid for more than just gear, though. It's true that many may view gear as more than a means to an end and consequently value it heavily, but even those people are usually also there for the experience itself.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxSimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarma

  4. #24
    Titan Kangodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    13,073
    Because raiding is supposed to be fun?
    If you don't agree with that, you should stop raiding or stop playing WoW.

  5. #25
    Not everyone is raiding for loot. I raid because... I like it! Loot is only a bonus for me and not a goal.

  6. #26
    The Lightbringer SL1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois.
    Posts
    3,355
    Kill more stuff faster and see bigger numbers on my recount meter.

  7. #27
    Scarab Lord Moon Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Behind her rifle, in that tree you just passed.
    Posts
    4,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    If gear is your sole motivation, than there isn't one outside of that short window when your gear is BiS.
    you don't need BiS to see dramatic increases in power. Tier to tier the swing is enormous. 509 ilvl in t14 heroic, 549 in t15 heroic, and what 570? in t16 heroic, massive increases in damage and power just from weapons and trinkets alone.
    If it's not an elf, leave it on the shelf.
    Night Elf Independence Movement

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    Not everyone is raiding for loot. I raid because... I like it! Loot is only a bonus for me and not a goal.
    Not me.

    I'm there to have socialization with friends but I'm there to get loot. That brings me fun by allowing me to clear more content with friends. I'm happy when they get gear and I'm happy when I get gear.

    Gear is a big deal. I really doubt raiding would last long if all everyone got was a collective, "Thank you". Hell, the lore has never been good enough to even draw me in. (then again it's all individually based so theirs that)

  9. #29
    I never understood questions like this. Is someone really that ignorant to think that gear is the only reason people play a game? Do people not understand that others can play a game simply to enjoy it, whether they enjoy the content itself, the working together with a guild, or simply like spending time with the people they have grown fond of while playing a game. Why do you play any game? Do you only worry about getting gear in single player games, or do you play them to *gasp* have fun with them? If you only raid for gear - if that is your only reasoning behind doing something you don't enjoy - you should seriously consider reevaluating why you would even login to something like that. If you have raided for years only to get 'better gear', why even waste your money? If you can't enjoy yourself outside of getting loot, what is the reasoning to even pay a monthly fee?

    If you can't 'see the point' because you will just replace gear, why even bother doing anything in life? Why get that job, when another job might open up later. Why buy a car when 10 years from now a better car will be out. Why get an iPhone now when a new one will be out in a year, and a new one a year after that, and a new one, and a new one....

  10. #30
    What's the point of video games ?

  11. #31
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Posts
    12,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    you don't need BiS to see dramatic increases in power. Tier to tier the swing is enormous. 509 ilvl in t14 heroic, 549 in t15 heroic, and what 570? in t16 heroic, massive increases in damage and power just from weapons and trinkets alone.
    It was a generalised statement for brevity. Point remains unchanged.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxSimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarma

  12. #32
    Actually, raiding is not that fun for many player. It is just tedious job.

  13. #33
    Obtain fancy gear.

  14. #34
    Can't people just play for fun instead of loot? You know, since video games are meant for entertainment in the first place.

  15. #35
    Scarab Lord Moon Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Behind her rifle, in that tree you just passed.
    Posts
    4,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    It was a generalised statement for brevity. Point remains unchanged.
    Such a generalisation seems inaccurate imo
    Character power levels are a very important aspect of end-game play, it's how you "keep leveling". It's the sole motivation for a lot of raiders and a primary source of drama with respect to guilds. I've raid lead and run a few raiding guilds in rather long time playing and the toughest nut to ever crack was the "im here for the gear" mentality of a lot of players. Blizz understood it as well, which is why they added thunderforge gear, gives a reason to keep raiding a farm boss, u could get a slight upgrade still.
    If it's not an elf, leave it on the shelf.
    Night Elf Independence Movement

  16. #36
    Three reasons, I think.

    1 ) The gear. You "feel" cool by having the best in a current patch cycle.

    2 ) The experience. Doing top dps is fun.

    3 ) The people. Raiding with people you like is a lot like bowling night or poker night.

    Personally though, raiding is all about number 3 for me. It's also why I stopped when the group went its seperate ways.

  17. #37
    Titan Frozenbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uk - England
    Posts
    11,193
    I had the same feelings a couple of years ago, pretty much it all boils down to doing things you find fun i don't really care that much about progression i like gearing up so i can actually survive when the horde attacks goldshire on a daily basis as well as making it easier for me to gring achievments, mounts, titles, rep,money etc. That's why i was disappointed when everyone was given resilence as it meant pve outshone pvp gear in all respects.

  18. #38
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Posts
    12,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Such a generalisation seems inaccurate imo
    That's... by definition? It didn't seem necessary to add a two paragraph footnote about gear upgrades since it wasn't relevant to my point.

    The point is that if you raid exclusively for loot and for absolutely no other reason then, yes, you will find raiding a let down since gear always ends up being replaced outside of raiding every expansion, but that's really a non-issue because most players raid for other reasons in addition to gear.

    Character power levels are a very important aspect of end-game play, it's how you "keep leveling". It's the sole motivation for a lot of raiders and a primary source of drama with respect to guilds. I've raid lead and run a few raiding guilds in rather long time playing and the toughest nut to ever crack was the "im here for the gear" mentality of a lot of players. Blizz understood it as well, which is why they added thunderforge gear, gives a reason to keep raiding a farm boss, u could get a slight upgrade still.
    Not disagreeing with any of that. That doesn't have anything to do with what I said.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxSimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarma

  19. #39
    Immortal seam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    7,018
    To beat various challenges with a group of people who you eventually can call friends and to have fun?

  20. #40
    Field Marshal Portdealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Valley of Honor
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Keilden View Post
    So you can scream at people with worse gear then you and call them bad in LFR.
    This. Only real reason I see to raid.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •