Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Such a silly question... which could potentially have thousands of different answers as not everybody raids for the exact same reason. I recently quit, but for me personally it comes down to have fun with a group of people. Back in ICC times I was in this guild and we weren't that good but we had so much fun as a 25man raiding guild.

Your point about gearing up being a waste of time isnt completely valid in my opinion, at least not in older raid times were vp gear and rep gear were unheard of. You need a certain ilvl gear to be able to clear new bosses from new raid instances, so therefore previous gear obtained isnt really a waste of time. Also doing something new beats killing farm bosses all the time.

The reason I quit is because 10man guilds (on eu-kazzak) are disbanding faster then you can say disband.. I had to find a new guild every 6 weeks or so, I just didnt want to bother with it anymore But evern I quit I didnt feel like I wasted all that time for nothing, I met a dozen of great people/players and I've alot the most fun online with those people.

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

10+ Year Old Account
    If gear is your sole motivation, than there isn't one outside of that short window when your gear is BiS.

Most people raid for more than just gear, though. It's true that many may view gear as more than a means to an end and consequently value it heavily, but even those people are usually also there for the experience itself.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Not everyone is raiding for loot. I raid because... I like it! Loot is only a bonus for me and not a goal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kill more stuff faster and see bigger numbers on my recount meter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    Not everyone is raiding for loot. I raid because... I like it! Loot is only a bonus for me and not a goal.
    Not me.

I'm there to have socialization with friends but I'm there to get loot. That brings me fun by allowing me to clear more content with friends. I'm happy when they get gear and I'm happy when I get gear.

Gear is a big deal. I really doubt raiding would last long if all everyone got was a collective, "Thank you". Hell, the lore has never been good enough to even draw me in. (then again it's all individually based so theirs that)

I never understood questions like this. Is someone really that ignorant to think that gear is the only reason people play a game? Do people not understand that others can play a game simply to enjoy it, whether they enjoy the content itself, the working together with a guild, or simply like spending time with the people they have grown fond of while playing a game. Why do you play any game? Do you only worry about getting gear in single player games, or do you play them to *gasp* have fun with them? If you only raid for gear - if that is your only reasoning behind doing something you don't enjoy - you should seriously consider reevaluating why you would even login to something like that. If you have raided for years only to get 'better gear', why even waste your money? If you can't enjoy yourself outside of getting loot, what is the reasoning to even pay a monthly fee?

If you can't 'see the point' because you will just replace gear, why even bother doing anything in life? Why get that job, when another job might open up later. Why buy a car when 10 years from now a better car will be out. Why get an iPhone now when a new one will be out in a year, and a new one a year after that, and a new one, and a new one....

What's the point of video games ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    you don't need BiS to see dramatic increases in power. Tier to tier the swing is enormous. 509 ilvl in t14 heroic, 549 in t15 heroic, and what 570? in t16 heroic, massive increases in damage and power just from weapons and trinkets alone.
    It was a generalised statement for brevity. Point remains unchanged.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Actually, raiding is not that fun for many player. It is just tedious job.

Obtain fancy gear.

Deleted
    Can't people just play for fun instead of loot? You know, since video games are meant for entertainment in the first place.

Three reasons, I think.

1 ) The gear. You "feel" cool by having the best in a current patch cycle.

2 ) The experience. Doing top dps is fun.

3 ) The people. Raiding with people you like is a lot like bowling night or poker night.

Personally though, raiding is all about number 3 for me. It's also why I stopped when the group went its seperate ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had the same feelings a couple of years ago, pretty much it all boils down to doing things you find fun i don't really care that much about progression i like gearing up so i can actually survive when the horde attacks goldshire on a daily basis as well as making it easier for me to gring achievments, mounts, titles, rep,money etc. That's why i was disappointed when everyone was given resilence as it meant pve outshone pvp gear in all respects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Such a generalisation seems inaccurate imo
    That's... by definition? It didn't seem necessary to add a two paragraph footnote about gear upgrades since it wasn't relevant to my point.

The point is that if you raid exclusively for loot and for absolutely no other reason then, yes, you will find raiding a let down since gear always ends up being replaced outside of raiding every expansion, but that's really a non-issue because most players raid for other reasons in addition to gear.

Character power levels are a very important aspect of end-game play, it's how you "keep leveling". It's the sole motivation for a lot of raiders and a primary source of drama with respect to guilds. I've raid lead and run a few raiding guilds in rather long time playing and the toughest nut to ever crack was the "im here for the gear" mentality of a lot of players. Blizz understood it as well, which is why they added thunderforge gear, gives a reason to keep raiding a farm boss, u could get a slight upgrade still.
    Not disagreeing with any of that. That doesn't have anything to do with what I said.

| twitch | bsky
    |

15+ Year Old Account
    To beat various challenges with a group of people who you eventually can call friends and to have fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Keilden View Post
    So you can scream at people with worse gear then you and call them bad in LFR.
    This. Only real reason I see to raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Zervek View Post
    What is the point of raiding when your gear is going to be reset every few patches? It just makes everything you did a huge waste of time, i understand that playing the game is itself a waste of time, but when you bang your head on your keyboard for hours trying to down a boss for a BiS item only to have it replaced...then whats the point of even trying?
    because i like the lore
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    To obtain better gear which allows you to kill harder bosses, which allow you to obtain better gear which allows you to kill harder bosses, which will allow you to obtain better gear... et cetera

I'm in it for the fun and the lore. It's always fun to know the background story or history behind the pixels you're trying to crush.

ITT: An OP who doesn't understand that gear isn't nearly as important as having fun by doing the things you like (which, in this case, is killing new bosses while they're relevant).

Oh, also, that gear that becomes irrelevant with the next patch? That gear helps you kill those new bosses so you can replace your old gear. That doesn't sound irrelevant to me.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    I am quiet sure, that there is big demographic of raiders who raid purely because of elitism. After raid you can just pretend to be afk in sw/org with that fancy, very exclusive and rare mount you just got from the latest raid.