15+ Year Old Account

Could a new Wow be possible by going back in time?

Ive been Wow free for almost a month now but i still feel the urge to come on here to talk about wow. The problem i find with getting over wow is the fact its the best MMO has to offer (imho). I know there is plenty of other games out there, but from being a child i remember playing tides of war on my old banger of a pc. The lore itself is like a journey as i love the whole human vs orc scene. But as much as i hate to admit it, i think the game has completely ran its course in its current state. In current state i mean the actual game we play now.

Now, my way forward is the producers collecting all the lore they have now and reapplying it to a new WOW. From that i mean maybe we can play it from the early eras in Wow. Orcs vs Drenaei in an untouched Draenor. Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes could battle through other story lines, Tauren vs Centaur etc etc etc.

Yes it sounds raw and the way im wording it is pretty shit. But why do we have to have surprises in lore? Why cant we go back to basics and actually play those times we read about and then the devs can actually spend time creating content rather then trying to pull more lore out the sky?

Imagine the Stormwind riots, the war of the three hammers, the actual well of eternity with Demon Hunter class. I just think there is sooo much this great game can grab by the bollocks if they created a fresh start, basically just follow the route of what books have told us. Yes you have read it, but surely you want to play it. Ive read the Hobbit and LOTR but i actually still wanted to see it, ive read other books and thought wow imagine playing that.

Shoot me down in flames here guys but i think a fresh start would be class. I just think and i keep saying this, but there is so much untouched Warcraft that could be a next gen thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Going back in time doesn't sound all that exciting at all. Having the pre-cata world available for nostalgia and picking up now removed quest items for transmogging, that could provide a diversion.
    What dont you find nostalgic of playing all the parts in lore mate? I see it as a new way to rekindle the game that we all love without risking killing it by taking a wrong turn in lore.

This is only my opinion but isnt lore what makes wow so great?

15+ Year Old Account
    I guess you could make a WoW 2.0 Bring back everything to how it was in vanilla and write an entirely different story from there on forth with alternate scenarios and villains... Why not, but it would require a least a couple years (5-ish) before people who are currently burnt out find it a entirely new experience.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There is no nostalgia from War of the Ancients, it'd be all new content but based on past events whose outcomes have already been written and well known. We know how the war of the ancients ends and we know there is no differing outcome because of the massive paradoxes that would swirl into existence if it were altered even a bit. That's not really enjoyable. Certainly not nostalgic, where as going back to a non-flooded thousand needles or an undisturbed Azshara is.

At least with the CoT instances you were foiling the Infinite Flight who wants to alter history; but that gets old fast too.

I disagree wholeheartedly with that statement.
    I dont know how to quote individually mate but i'll try to answer those in order.

For one you said they have been well written and well known. So why not play them? Yes you know whats going to happen in the end but in all fairness we do know that already due to PTR realms. When i say lets play these parts in history i dont mean lets do a well of eternity patch like in Cata. I mean lets actually go into this in as much detail as a game can go. Give the game choices, for example are you going to taste Mannoroths blood or not? Whats wrong with Orc vs Orc? why cant we play the part deciding not to and having to maybe PVP vs the same faction? Maybe a choice of dwarven clan and route of which you fulfill you destiny? It shouldnt be because your an Orc you have to a be a sheep. We are both humans (in RL i mean) so you should agree with me?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    I dont know how to quote individually mate but i'll try to answer those in order.

For one you said they have been well written and well known. So why not play them? Yes you know whats going to happen in the end but in all fairness we do know that already due to PTR realms. When i say lets play these parts in history i dont mean lets do a well of eternity patch like in Cata. I mean lets actually go into this in as much detail as a game can go. Give the game choices, for example are you going to taste Mannoroths blood or not? Whats wrong with Orc vs Orc? why cant we play the part deciding not to and having to maybe PVP vs the same faction? Maybe a choice of dwarven clan and route of which you fulfill you destiny? It shouldnt be because your an Orc you have to a be a sheep. We are both humans (in RL i mean) so you should agree with me?
    CoT wouldnt play any part in this through obvious reasons.

Last one was my opinion ^^ but i tend to agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Can i add the amount of Troll lore.

15+ Year Old Account
    It worked really well for Star Wars. KOTOR was a pretty huge success. Hell, the sales of I-III was based purely on people wanting to see how IV-VI got set up. (Disclaimer: Prequel Trilogy is balls, but it still had the appeal of seeing how it all went down.)

Caverns of Time worked really well as well, although I see why Blizzard effectively wrote themselves out of providing that, since it just became "What CoT instance do we get this expansion?" I could definitely see WoW2 focusing on the past, since once Sargeras is vanquished I can't see there being much else out there. SC2 is doing pretty well at wrapping up all the lore, although Diablo has managed to pull a lot of BS out of their ass for a new expansion. I didn't even know how D3 was gonna play out since Diablo was dead. Lol Hell was merely a setback.

15+ Year Old Account
    Can i add the amount of Troll lore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Annarion View Post
    It worked really well for Star Wars. KOTOR was a pretty huge success. Hell, the sales of I-III was based purely on people wanting to see how IV-VI got set up. (Disclaimer: Prequel Trilogy is balls, but it still had the appeal of seeing how it all went down.)

Caverns of Time worked really well as well, although I see why Blizzard effectively wrote themselves out of providing that, since it just became "What CoT instance do we get this expansion?" I could definitely see WoW2 focusing on the past, since once Sargeras is vanquished I can't see there being much else out there. SC2 is doing pretty well at wrapping up all the lore, although Diablo has managed to pull a lot of BS out of their ass for a new expansion. I didn't even know how D3 was gonna play out since Diablo was dead. Lol Hell was merely a setback.
    Thanks for replying mate, i thought this was dead in the water.

Maybe the Sargeras part could be kept for the new game? I do believe if Bliz kept.........infact i honestly believe if Blizzard dangled the thought of Turalyon they could sell sand to an arab.

I find it hard to get excited about in game lore when I already know how things will turn out. not a big fan of prequels for MMO's, but a rts could be ok...

well, honestly i think going back in time would give to much trouble really ...i am thinking a la movies like back to the future etc ..the world changes around you every choice you make

With the way they presented the Well of Eternity dungeon, I'd rather leave things like the War of the Ancients to my imagination. Makes it much more epic.

Backstory only seems cool when it's backstory. When you actually turn the backstory into main story, you realise how bland it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I would rather go forward in time with a continuing storyline and new villains, perhaps a new planet besides the Azeroth, which would be an old legend.

Going back in time has problems. It's like a movie that comes with a spoiler and you already know the ending. If it reaches where WoW 1 started, then it will be a repetition from then on. There may be retcons, contradictions with what's been out there about the past.

I'm not saying it won't work, if done well it would work fine. I just would prefer moving forwards and getting a brand new surprising plot.