Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What's up with the amount of simultaneous quests being reduced every expansion?

TBC was my favorite expansion for leveling by far because you could stack like 10-15 quests up at a given time. In each subsequent expansion the aforementioned number has been reduced, likely in the name of "streamlining" or producing a more "focused" experience. This wouldn't be a problem to me if there was an alternative to questing that provided an equivalent XP rate. This 2-3 quests at a time nonsense feels so incredibly slow. Anyone have thoughts on this? Has any dev ever tweeted about this or brought it up at a Blizzcon panel?

Apparently most folks loathe questing, so efforts to make it as simplistic as possible also involve being told to do only 1 thing at a time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel the same way. Questing in Classic up to WotLK was fine for the most part. Many simultanious quests that allowed some finetuning in your path to the next level and made it possible to do it somewhat different on another toon. Cataclysm was extremely boring in this part with the linear questing and MoP was slightly less bad. Still way to dumb without any quests that connect different locations apart from breadcrumb quests.

Quote Originally Posted by shmupfan View Post
    TBC was my favorite expansion for leveling by far because you could stack like 10-15 quests up at a given time. In each subsequent expansion the aforementioned number has been reduced, likely in the name of "streamlining" or producing a more "focused" experience. This wouldn't be a problem to me if there was an alternative to questing that provided an equivalent XP rate. This 2-3 quests at a time nonsense feels so incredibly slow. Anyone have thoughts on this? Has any dev ever tweeted about this or brought it up at a Blizzcon panel?
    The WotLK questing model became popular, that's why. Instead of having 15 quests going in 15 different directions people liked having 3 quests in the same area which made things go faster. 15 quests in 15 different directions only seemed like it was faster because you turned in 15 quests at a time, but not everyone played like that and you would end up with people who ran out from the quest hub 15 separate times.

10+ Year Old Account
    The questing system was better in tbc for sure. Questing on rails isn't nearly as fun as the old way was.

Deleted
    I have to agree with you here, I loved when I arrive in hellfire peninsula to pick up a shit ton of quests. Handing them all in at the same time and getting that huge chunk of xp somehow feels much better than doing a few at a time.
    Last edited by mmoc2aff718493; 2013-08-19 at 08:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    I have to agree with you here, I loved when I arrive in hellfire peninsula to pick up a shit ton of quests. Handing them all in at the same time and getting that huge chunk of zp somehow feels much better than doing a few at a time.
    Yepp, I loved having my quest log filled with quests than get that big batch of XP all at once made me feel good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Shouldn't this have been posted during Cata? In MoP there's plenty of opportunities to pick up plenty of quests at once. If anything they might not be turned in at the same place.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Shouldn't this have been posted during Cata? In MoP there's plenty of opportunities to pick up plenty of quests at once. If anything they might not be turned in at the same place.
    As someone who just came back to WoW and did 85-90 last week I can't agree with this. MoP's questing is marginally better than Cata's but it still offers nothing to players who liked stacking a bunch of quests and not having to go back to whatever quest hub every 10 minutes.

I like the current way they are doing it in cata and Mop. Every little quest hub has an arc that tells part of the story, many of these little arcs make for one long zone wide arc that explains the story and usually results in a nice blue item. However some arcs are not as well done as other. The TBC and WotLK arcs were pretty lame didn't even point you to the next part of the story in some cases.

It's much better now.

But yeah, since TBC came up, of course people will now claim how even questing was sooo much better in TBC. Hell, having cancer was better in TBC than it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    It's much better now.

But yeah, since TBC came up, of course people will now claim how even questing was sooo much better in TBC. Hell, having cancer was better in TBC than it is now.
    Questing is one of the only facets of TBC that I think is better than contemporary WoW. Please don't misinterpret my thread or paint it in a misleading light.

I think that if you feel the current questing is slow compared to what it used to be, you need to start considering it with your rational mind.

I like the current quest model better, it tells the story in a much more effective way then the old questing system ever could.

Blizzard has slowly removed more and more player choice from the equation. You're doing the exact same thing as everyone else now. Maybe an easier or harder version of it, but it's still the same thing.

There is no pick and choose anymore, simply the one and only path.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it makes story telling and progression ALOT better. There isn't any pointless quests anymore. Every quest now progresses the story. It's a much better system. Much more like an rpg.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    It's most likely due to Blizzard's desire to tell a story with each zone and quest hub and not just have a ton of "kill x of y" or "collect x of z" quests with no real context. Yes, those types of quests are still there, but for the most part the story gives a reason for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be great if next expansion didn't have any quests at all

Quote Originally Posted by Noorri View Post
    I think that if you feel the current questing is slow compared to what it used to be, you need to start considering it with your rational mind.

I like the current quest model better, it tells the story in a much more effective way then the old questing system ever could.
    Please note that when I typed the word "feels" I made sure to italicize it in order to subtlety communicate to the reader that while efficiency of questing is essentially the same, it's design causes me to perceive my progress as slower.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jaber2 View Post
    I would be great if next expansion didn't have any quests at all
    This would be ideal for me. I wish I could just talk to an NPC that disables my ability to accept quests and buffs my XP rate from mobs to something that is comparable with questing. I have never read one quest in all my years of playing this game. I have no knowledge of or interest in even a shred of the Warcraft universe's lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    This would be ideal for me. I wish I could just talk to an NPC that disables my ability to accept quests and buffs my XP rate from mobs to something that is comparable with questing. I have never read one quest in all my years of playing this game. I have no knowledge of or interest in even a shred of the Warcraft universe's lore.
    They do have a way for people like you. 5man grind and they added so to bgs.

I have read every single quest in wow with both horde and alliance and ever warcraft book. You are missing out on a very well done story. Anyway your loss.
    Aye mate

The number of quests average player is capable of keeping in memory and/or working on decreases every expansion. Therefore, Blizzard adjusts the gameplay according to their ever-dumber casuals.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-08-20 at 03:54 AM.