Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Engineering or Leatherworking?

I currently have 6 level 90s and have all professions covered except for engineering. My main is a rogue with enchanting and leatherworking, and my only alt that I raid on is a hunter with skinning / leatherworking. I want to drop leatherworking on one of them to level engineering and get the ach for all professions at 600 skill, but I do not know which character to level it on.

Anyone have any ideas as to which character (rogue main or hunter alt) I should level engineering on?
    Last edited by Corayo; 2013-07-26 at 01:56 AM.

Engineering has a lot of cool things. And don't forget, come 5.4, they're getting a crazy awesome looking mount!

10+ Year Old Account
    looks like bliz caved in to the people that was complaining about having to bring a mage, shaman, or hunter with certain pet, and let leatherworkers also have heroism/timewarp granted its 5% weaker, still http://ptr.wowdb.com/spells/146613-drums-of-rage

If you have an important ability on a 1 minute cooldown, which most classes do, then you can line up Synapse Springs with it and get a nice boost. Otherwise, give it to whichever one you expect to level first in the next expansion, since you can get an easy-to-make BoP epic helm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I gave my Rogue Engineering, and my Hunter LW. I'm not smarting for cash, so I don't mind having LW on the less played alt and not being first out of the gate on recipes and stuff. I can buy Leather gear for my main alt no problem. The advantage of the cool stuff on Engineering though is kinda wasted on an alt I feel. If I had the chance to do it over and not lose all the recipes I've gathered over the years I'd give engineering to my main, and switch Enchanting to an alt.

Deleted
    love LW on my hunter, easy wrist enchant and cheap leg enchant.

beside that LW has been a really good moneymaker for me this expansion, selling tons of LW gloves for several K profit each (though now we reached 5.3 demand has plummeted quite a bit, though blood spirits became cheap and those LW gloves sell decent also. not as well as their 476 counterparts before 5.2 though)

Leatherworking is a very boring profession, it's bonuses are all passive effects and there are no interesting items.

Engineering might be a bit complicated but it is useful and fun, plus has a lot of utility like the parachute or the water walking thing, or the sprint - lots of various gizmos.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    Want to note that it's enough to have any multiplier of 1 Minute, does not have to be exactly one Minute. For Example, your Hunter can use Rapid Fire every 3 Minutes and will have the Snyapse Springs ready for each RF (when 5.4 comes out and removes readiness). Don't get hyped about this though because the Synapse Springsshare someof the Cooldown with On-use trinkets, rendering them worse than other Profession Perks when you wear such trinkets. So they are sometimes better and sometimes worse than other profession perks which makes them sort of balanced.
    Basically, yeah. I have Engineering as a tank, so I just macro Synapse Springs to my most commonly used attack. Then I have LW for the extra 600 Stam on the bracers compared with the Sha Armor Kit - it's the only profession that beats Blacksmithing for tanks.

well i leveled engineering on my rogue and kept LW on my hunter, and i have to say its a nice dps increase. I use the bomb on fights with aoe like horridon and tortos and it semms to have helped a lot.

not to mention it got me my master of all ach xD

Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    Engineering is the best profession inside and outside of the game! Period.

How can you compare:
    - Synapse Spring
    - Glyder
    - Nitro Boost
    - Portable Mailbox
    - Repair bot / bank everywhere
    - Mail, Bank, Gbank, Repair, Vendor and AH all in a little corner of pandaria (not having to go to SW)
    - Wormhole generator and other porting devices
    - Bombs and rockets
    - Flame Thrower
    - Open your own lock boxes! (jeez! do I have to say any more)
    - Make your own chopper and copter
    - If you can afford it, make your own rocket mount

All this and more if you pick the best profession of all.

Oh and I heard there are some nice benefits to it in game for wow too.
    Pretty much this. Give engineering to whichever toon is your main, its so convienient!

I have Engineering on 2 of my toons currently, Hunter and DK. Worth every penny for no gain

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    LW is a HUGE moneysaver for raiders ("free" bracer and leg enchants) but Eng is absolutely awesome for:
    - min/maxing (frag belt and the stat bonus can be paired with cooldowns)
    - funny stuff
    - teleports (you can go almost everywhere within 2 mins)
    - Loot-A-Range (i have a hunter but it's so much better than Fetch)

Quote Originally Posted by Destard View Post
    LW is a HUGE moneysaver for raiders ("free" bracer and leg enchants) but Eng is absolutely awesome for:
    - min/maxing (frag belt and the stat bonus can be paired with cooldowns)
    - funny stuff
    - teleports (you can go almost everywhere within 2 mins)
    - Loot-A-Range (i have a hunter but it's so much better than Fetch)
    In terms of min-maxing, Tailoring and Engineering cooldowns together equal about half of a T15 main-stat trinket proc. It's not huge - unless you have an ability that hugely benefits from having everything stacked up at one particular, glorious moment. And there are quite a few of those specs.

i'd honestly say Engineering, however beware Blizzard rarley updates engineering since the Launch of the Expansion, just a note of worth..if your in it for gold go leatherworker..you will be able to sell more.

Deleted
    engineering all the way..synapse springs and repair bots great for pve,and if you pvp the glider/chute /nitro boost are so much fun/lifesaving sometimes its silly not to have it

Trying end myself on my Death Knight just seems more beneficial than black smithing and less of a pain than JC my servers JC market is crap

Deleted
    Engineering is both good on hunter and Rogue.

On hunter you could jump off a cliff ( liek the area in AB) and still shoot while in air using a parachute.
    On rogue you could Batman off a cliff.

Actually... my main has Both... Which is pretty awesome, though a little hard to upkeep, but I have 90s with both skinning and Mining so it's not a big deal,
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonwolfe View Post
    In other words, he's worried about how sharp your bayonet is when you are firing RPG's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwrong View Post
    Actually... my main has Both... Which is pretty awesome, though a little hard to upkeep, but I have 90s with both skinning and Mining so it's not a big deal,
    Same.. when you have 7 90's on the same faction and same server, you have the pick of the litter.

Deleted
    think engineering is cool, special pvp