Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    In TBC it was:

-get attuned
    - do raids
    - get exalted

What exactly changed?

Too many factions to grind from dalies, tying JP/Valor gear and rep together was a failure. Basically a time sink put in place by Blizz to make up for lack of dungeons and content.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I was just thinking about this the other day, and I reflected on why WoW lacks excitement currently. Its not because the downtime between patch cycles, but it stems from a much greater problem than that.

WoW has become a bucket list. Now hear me out on this. The game is essentially played by creating a bucket list and following that list.

1) Login.

Goal: Cap valor asap and continue to do so on other characters

2) Daily Heroic Scenario
    3) Daily Heroic Dungeon
    4) Battlefield Barrens weekly
    5) An LFR or two
    6) Rinse and repeat.

Notice the only thing getting the player out in the world is the barrens weekly quest. Everything else is queued for. Its just not exciting. And after one week of the barrens quest, it gets old, especially when its done on other characters.

Where is the excitement of logging in, and then figuring out in game what you wanted to do for the day? There are no more goals that are actually worthy of time and effort other than heroic raiding, and even that becomes dull because you essentially fought the same boss with some ability bloat to create difficulty.

Now contrast that to an epic quest chain like the Onyxia quest line (for Alliance). There were several steps, and accomplishing each step just to gain access to that raid boss felt like you were gaining ground. You got gear along the way inevitably as you went through BRD and other dungeons. The player felt like a part of the quest. Or the quest chain that gave access to the Black Temple. Each step in the quest felt amazing because you saw how your accomplishments opened new parts of the game for you to explore. Now, the legendary quest chain is just another bucket list type quest chain. Its too carved out in stone, and feels generic.

TL;DR

WoW lacks excitement because the developers made the decision to create such a simple bucket list type system, with generic quests, and overly simple dungeon / raid design.

In other words, the game is great in the gameplay department, but lags behind in the excitement factor.
    Sure everyone that plays WoW has their own "bucket list" of activities they feel are important to progress their character(s). You can always change it to include other things so it doesn't seem so grindy by doing the same routine. If the fact is that you are just unhappy playing then stop for a bit or altogether. Nothing wrong with that. 600-700k people every quarterly report seem to feel that way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skutch View Post
    Too many factions to grind from dalies, tying JP/Valor gear and rep together was a failure. Basically a time sink put in place by Blizz to make up for lack of dungeons and content.
    Yeah it's filler to keep you doing something besides raid or pvp until the next content patch is ready. People complain they have nothing to do so Blizzard adds more dailies to get you exalted in MoP.

I was just thinking about this the other day, and I reflected on why WoW lacks excitement currently. Its not because the downtime between patch cycles, but it stems from a much greater problem than that.

WoW has become a bucket list. Now hear me out on this. The game is essentially played by creating a bucket list and following that list.

1) Login.

2) Daily Heroic Scenario
    3) Daily Heroic Dungeon
    5) An LFR or two
    6) Rinse and repeat.

Notice the only thing getting the player out in the world is the barrens weekly quest. Everything else is queued for. Its just not exciting. And after one week of the barrens quest, it gets old, especially when its done on other characters.

Where is the excitement of logging in, and then figuring out in game what you wanted to do for the day? There are no more goals that are actually worthy of time and effort other than heroic raiding, and even that becomes dull because you essentially fought the same boss with some ability bloat to create difficulty.

Now contrast that to an epic quest chain like the Onyxia quest line (for Alliance). There were several steps, and accomplishing each step just to gain access to that raid boss felt like you were gaining ground. You got gear along the way inevitably as you went through BRD and other dungeons. The player felt like a part of the quest. Or the quest chain that gave access to the Black Temple. Each step in the quest felt amazing because you saw how your accomplishments opened new parts of the game for you to explore. Now, the legendary quest chain is just another bucket list type quest chain. Its too carved out in stone, and feels generic.

TL;DR

WoW lacks excitement because the developers made the decision to create such a simple bucket list type system, with generic quests, and overly simple dungeon / raid design.

In other words, the game is great in the gameplay department, but lags behind in the excitement factor.
    Forgot about farming mats or dueling. The world bosses for loot. Their are even items that drop boas as well as rare that drop vanity items if you choose to not do those things it your fault.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

TL;DR

I totally agree, I've played on "one of those realms we dont like to talk about on this forum" and its a completely different story, the problem is I have too much to do, do I work on proffesions? do I work on Rep? do I run dungeons? I've noticed that I spend very little time in Major cities because I am either farming mats for gold or professions or I am waiting to fill a group for a dungeon whilst gathering or questing... everything takes time and effort and the rewards are feel great.

1) Login.

2) Daily Heroic Scenario
    3) Daily Heroic Dungeon
    5) An LFR or two
    6) Rinse and repeat.

TL;DR

They dumbed down the game for casuals. And millions quit their easy, boring, repetitive game.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW definitely is less exciting to a certain extent due to the long years we've kept playing which makes us less excited when you keep playing over and over again or its due to the theme of the expansion but idk its up to a person's opinion why it lacks excitement.

On the other hand, I've seemed to realize your thread is more like: WoW has ran out of options to do and its just repetitive but this expansion has many things to do in them such as:

Pet battles, arenas, scenarios, LFR, bg's, HC/Norm/Flex raids, Proving grounds, brawler's guild, and many more and yet you're finding nothing to do? Not our fault there are many things to do.

As for your statement of onyxia. Although you're right on this point but it required another endless grind which most players didn't reach that's why it made you feel "special" but you've gotta agree the fact that blizz has made the game easier over time and it no longer caters the players whom they sit 12+ hours on the pc to farm something just to feel special in a virtual world.

Or the quest chain that gave access to the Black Temple. Each step in the quest felt amazing because you saw how your accomplishments opened new parts of the game for you to explore. Now, the legendary quest chain is just another bucket list type quest chain. Its too carved out in stone, and feels generic.
    I rarely see anyone saying these days: "Ahh I miss attunements I wish they were back!" It left so many people left out that often some guilds were formed just for the sake of getting people attuned to a raid. And the legendary quest part has always been the same: Get "X" of an item then "Y" afterwards to witness a special event etc... etc... I really don't see much of a difference than its available to every class now.

But then I remembered and saw... this is just another Jaylock thread.

When you've played the game through plenty of times, or spend all your time doing max level content, EVERY game becomes a bucket list. Especially MMOs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazooty View Post
    Every single piece of content is designed for EVERYONE to do. There's no creating your own experience. You are doing the same thing as everyone else.
    People that just play PVP have a very different game experience than people who do their PVP through the auction house or pet battles. People that stay out of groups have a very different experience than those who raid. Of course you can create your own game experience by putting different pieces of the game together in ways that you prefer and not doing the things you don't like. There are hundreds of different ways to play WoW. Just because the content is there for anyone to access doesn't mean that everyone is doing the same as everyone else.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Field Marshal Rathnor The Flesher's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    <meme image snipped>

Infracted: Please don't post meme images. It's a discussion board. Please discuss and thanks. [ML]
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-08-20 at 03:46 AM.

Everybody is obviously going to have a different opinion, but many of those reasons are the reasons I left.
    Sitting in queue for an LFR that was fun maybe the first 2 or 3 times I did it, in order to get gear that I didn't really like the look of(the entire expansion), just so I could get into the next LFR wing to be released so I could repeat the whole process over again. Filling in the queue time with repetitive daily quests which were also enjoyable only for about the first week, or pet battles which were enjoyable in short spurts at best. Tried to combat the burnout with alt leveling, but the leveling experience is so ridiculously short(most of my numerous alts were already 85 at start of MoP) from 85 to 90, so you the experience is still fresh in your mind when you are on the next alt and that starts feeling repetitive really fast too. Having to fill the long LFR queues with boring repetitive task was probably the biggest factor in burn out for me. Queues aren't exciting, and when the vast majority of the game is spent in a queue....

This thread lacks excitement.

There's plenty of excitement, Jaylock. If you can't find excitement, that's your problem.

I also predict that this thread will not turn out well. Just like every other Jaylock thread.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

I feel bad for people who can't find excitement in WoW easily. It's not hard at all to do. People from TBC (even though I started in TBC) and Vanilla are just too used to having limited things to do and refuse to do anything out of the ordinary.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I really dont play any computer games anymore, and I find other great things to do like exercise, cycling, and other outdoor things.
    Do more of those things and make fewer threads.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    I think you're confusing 'excitement' with 'fun'.

You'll never be sitting on the edge of your seat for what might happen next if there is no risk of you 'losing' something. WoW is a convenience MMO, any form of meaningful excitement isn't welcome in it, because such excitement and adrenaline can only be simulated by the risk and danger of losing stuff and being set back. There is also no real platform for 'involuntary' events, the one time they added the possibility of involuntary risk was back with the WotLK pre-launch zombie event, and that had tons of people crying already because they had to corpserun.

When you park your avatar in your city you're as safe as a kitten in a soft cozy blanket. You can't suddenly have your online day being turned upside down because Alliance/Horde decided to raid your city and steal your stuff.

So I don't think it's wrong at all to say, that objectively speaking, on a potential excitement meter WoW would score pretty lowly.
    Good lord, I can appreciate the point your trying to get across, but first if your little second world was so important to you, you would never leave the house.

Secondly, you claim to have something to lose compared to a wow player, really friend, they are both still just pixels on a computer monitor, its the human that play the characters that add the human element to it, good and bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Blackmore View Post
    Do more of those things and make fewer threads.

and make over 2100 posts on mmo champion, I was coming to make this post and saw yours here already, so I quoted,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazooty View Post
    In vanilla there weren't things pointing you everywhere, and everything wasn't deemed "necesaary". You often found things by accident or by exploration and it felt awesome.
    I can guarantee you that if Blizzard went back to classic style quests, that it wouldn't feel awesome anymore. It felt awesome because it was all new.

Quests werent designed for everyone to see.
    How do you figure? Everyone in a faction did the same quests, depending on where they started. Every human did the same quests in Elywnn, Westfall and Redrige. Pick a race and faction, and it was the same thing. The only difference in questing between then and now is that people have more information about quests now and they can get around around faster due to some conveniences.

1) Login.

2) Daily Heroic Scenario
    3) Daily Heroic Dungeon
    5) An LFR or two
    6) Rinse and repeat.

TL;DR

The game is almost 10 years old. What the hell did you expect after playing a game for nearly a decade. There is only so much that Blizzard can come up with.

And what you described in the remaining two paragraphs was never reality in vanilla WoW. Nothing's changed.

Wipe those nostalgia boogers from your eyes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post

Subjective. Also at least 7M people disagree with you.
    Oh behave, you cant just pluck that figure out of thin air. Regardless what 7m people say Blizzard would still have changed it. It was them that suggested people should see content and not the other way around. If the game was left to the same TBC difficulty, we would still have the same amount of subs coming and going.

I dont have any recollection of any mass protests of the game difficulty back then.

We'll I agree with the OP, unlike many others I can see.

I subbed for I belive the 3rd time inn MOP now. Even after a break off like 5 months I can still be bored quickly.

I jumped from 365 to soon Ilvl 500 inn like 4 days. Granted I had some valor and rep done already from before trough.

Now I can just log on to do daylies, finish up the last achivements I can bother (Thinking about dino grind + Arch achivements atm), and else do the HC scenario and some valor stuff. LFR I'll proboaly not bother to do again - LFR is not for me.

Basicly, wow is really booring fast if you dont raid now days. But I'm not a raid logger - I just can't play wow only to raid, it just dosen't work. I want to enjoy the hole game. If I got a great guild once again I feelt at home with, I could maybe consider raid again - Something I have done so much already.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

This is why I unsubscribe from WoW every time it runs out of interesting content. For me, a given patch only gets my money for as long as it's fresh. As soon as I've absorbed all the new lore, fought all the new bosses, and gotten all the items I'm interested in for my main, I turn it off again.

Deleted
    I don't follow that bucket list, I either level my hunter, or raid on my lock I find either of those more fun than that list.