Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think people have been told by too many teachers that they're not allowed to use wikipedia as a source, and therefor they seem to associate that with wikipedia being a bad source of information, WHICH IT ISN'T.

It's one of the best you'll find. It's one of the best starting places for any kind of research and has a plethora of sourced information. You just can't use wikipedia itself as a cited source. That's it. That doesn't mean it's a bad place for information.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Wikipedia is fine as long as you do not use it as an actual source, use the sources that wikipedia links instead.
    This, use it as a collection of many sources, instead of a source itself.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    I think people have been told by too many teachers that they're not allowed to use wikipedia as a source, and therefor they seem to associate that with wikipedia being a bad source of information, WHICH IT ISN'T.

It's one of the best you'll find. It's one of the best starting places for any kind of research and has a plethora of sourced information. You just can't use wikipedia itself as a cited source. That's it. That doesn't mean it's a bad place for information.
    Exactly. It's the first site I go to when I want to research something. The reason it isn't a valid cited source is because it's not official. That doesn't mean it's wrong.

Many teachers are still living in the 90s when the internet was full of geocities info sites with horribly incorrect information.

Wikipedia is like 99% accurate and is more accurate than any real encyclopedia due to its instantaneous updates.

And pretty much everything is sourced to death on there. You can just use the sources that wikipedia uses to bypass the "no wikipedia" rule.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echelonl View Post
    Many teachers are still living in the 90s when the internet was full of geocities info sites with horribly incorrect information.

Wikipedia is like 99% accurate and is more accurate than any real encyclopedia due to its instantaneous updates.

And pretty much everything is sourced to death on there. You can just use the sources that wikipedia uses to bypass the "no wikipedia" rule.
    Or, more correctly, many teachers want -scholarly- sources. Wikipedia is not a scholarly source, but as you said; it does use them.

It's good as a point of reference, but citing it as a source in a formal paper is a no-no.

Also, obligatory XKCD.

Last edited by Elegiac; 2013-08-21 at 06:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good teachers teach kids how to use sources and determine their meaning, implication etc. Wiki will never be a primary source but I encourage students to use it as a gateway or reference point.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Good teachers teach kids how to use sources and determine their meaning, implication etc. Wiki will never be a primary source but I encourage students to use it as a gateway or reference point.
    Ohisashiburi desu ne. <3 Long time no see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Ohisashiburi desu ne. <3 Long time no see.
    Oh, my twisted Australian love, you both delight me and frustrate me so much!

Long time, no see
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Never for school, I just use it to look up random stuff to read when I'm bored.

Given that its user editable, no way would I trust it if I was working on a serious project or the like.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Wikipedia is frowned upon in the "academic" world because it kind of disturbes their monopoly on "valid" research information. Makes them nervous. It's still great for getting information and for reference, no matter what the old farts say. Who cares if it's editable. If you're working on some "serious" research project, some stupid academic paper and whatnot, and intend to cite something, you're gonna double- and triple-check your sources anyway.

Go to the Wiki page, scroll to the bottom, there is a huge list of books, articles and essays with name, author and page number referenced. Use those. Much faster and simpler than wading through JSTOR or the library.