Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #61
    The Lightbringer Wildberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Waiting for WoD (..To be scrapped completely)
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyKaman View Post
    Is this bad? Should my bots / main still be banned? Why/why not?
    Of course it's bad, stop looking for sympathy, you and every other person who bots, even if it's harmless in the grand scheme of things deserves to be Perma-banned, over and over, on however many accounts you choose to make, until you understand that botting is not okay. Too bad you never gave any Character-Server names....
    Quote Originally Posted by ImportantLoreInformation View Post
    Seriously. Can this guy please be banned from the forums?
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    Could we just get this fucking clown a ban or something? Pretty please?

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyKaman View Post
    while never really interacting with any of the other players and never having (at least to my knowledge) any impact on my server (or my Battlegroup as I never ran BGs).
    I don't understand this part at all. The second you picked an herb, mined a node, killed a mob forcing someone to wait for a respawn...ANY of these (and many other actions your bots presumably took) have an impact on your server.

    On top of that, I don't understand the 'botting just for the fun of botting' premise that you are using. As someone already stated, couldn't you have set up and run different profiles on only one...or maybe even 2 or 3...account(s)? Why would you need 17 accounts for botting if you aren't actually using them for anything as you claim. Sounds fishy to me.

    Lastly...rules are rules. Even if you somehow came up with the most ethical reason imaginable to murder someone (Hey, I murdered Hitler and stopped the Holocaust!), as an individual you are still going to be held accountable for what you did. Crimes are crimes no matter how you justify them. Blizz's game = Blizz's rules...if you don't agree with them then that's fine but then don't play the game.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    Ive said many times on these forums that there is a very large section of raiders who bot... but nobody beleived me. The Fanboys think its just a bunch of hackers in China who bot but ive known dozens (maybe up to 100) of players who set up botting software on their accounts.

    This doesnt surprise me whatsoever and i still believe that the botting issue are far more common among longtime players that Blizzard will ever admit.
    The GM of my raiding guild has bots set up (he does a pretty shit job of keeping them separate from his main too). Most of the guilds I've been in have had at least one guy like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  4. #64
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    10,376
    Yeah, in a heartbeat. It's against the rules is why.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

  5. #65
    Pandaren Monk Auloria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,941
    Against EULA != Against the law.

    I have no problem with what you did, in fact I think these kinds of academic pursuits are admirable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    When a homeless person is rambling in the streets, it's better to ignore them than argue with them. On the internets it's clearly better to spend an entire week proving them wrong.

  6. #66
    Doesnt bother me at all, then again Ive been selling gold since BC to trusted people in my guild. Nice way to pay for game time.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyKaman View Post
    1. Is this bad?
    2. Should my bots / main still be banned?
    3. Why/why not?
    1. I have botted from Cataclysm until a few weeks back. The only bad thing about botting
    is blizzard having bad enough technology to allow botting.

    2. No. If blizzard fails at detecting bots. Fuck them.

    3. Because reasons stated above. If they are serious about security and a bot/hack-free enviroment
    they would of develop tools to prevent it.

    Clearly they have not!


    I suggest more people bot to make a point. Show them how much they fail.

    Thats my two cents...

  8. #68
    Pandaren Monk sibut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,801
    If as you say all you did was set up botting profiles because you enjoyed the programming or you enjoyed watching the bot kill things or whatever then I personally don't care. It takes a lot for me to actually report someone anyway, so I certainly wouldn't report you just to be a dick and get you banned. To the guy who said "EVERY botter affects other peoples' gameplay!11111" from the top of his little soapbox, I think that's a stretch. What, his bot killed a few of someone else's quest mobs? I can't really see any other issues here if he's not gathering or running bgs on one.

    I don't bot, not risking my 7 year + account and I'm sure as hell not paying for another copy of the game and another sub. Have I thought about it? Sure, the last time I tried to level a gathering prof and CRZ people were hoarding everything. Would've been fun to set a bot running all night and see what I ended up with. Had a friend that used one of the more popular bots for awhile back in BC, but it was just to level alts and he got paranoid after a couple of weeks and quit. Morally I don't have an issue with it, but morally I don't have huge issues with pretty much anything in a video game.
    Quote Originally Posted by nailbomb
    trust me, i would rather live next to an active volcano than reveal my internet history of porn
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    You can add other stuff and still called it a grilled cheese, it's an american thing, but getting butt hurt over it means you have way too much free time and you should be using it to be making more grilled cheese.

  9. #69
    I don't care do you bot or not, as long as it doesn't affect me. In terms of EULA, yep, ban.

  10. #70
    If you played on the same server as I do I would get you reported and banned yes since you'd be both my competitor as well as one of those who cause a inflation of gold (or cause of Blizzard introducing more gold sinks which causes those who earned gold by hard labor to have deflation; both cases are unfair to those who spend time/effort in the game).
    "When i am done with you, you won't trust your own mind."

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Gensui View Post
    I don't understand this part at all. The second you picked an herb, mined a node, killed a mob forcing someone to wait for a respawn...ANY of these (and many other actions your bots presumably took) have an impact on your server.
    ....I'm sorry, but you lost me. How do ANY of those differ from ANOTHER PLAYER doing it? When people refer to bots having an impact on the server/game/community, they're talking about shit like running a profile in an area full of quest mobs. Sure, one person could run around and kill them all, but when a bot does it for hours on end, it really takes its toll. Also, tossing 200+ stacks of ore, herbs, etc up on the AH for stupidly cheap prices. Or running an entire party's worth of bots in a BG, and the bot you're using is total garbage. When you can tell someone's a bot, THAT is what effects the game. Not just because you had a mob stolen from you, or because someone is farming mats specifically for their/their guild's use. As I said in my first post, there are two types of botters; and the type I fit in, you'd never even know I was a botter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .

  12. #72
    Dreadlord Csnyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    sarasota
    Posts
    826
    yes you should be banned for the obvious reasons, you broke the rules

  13. #73
    If you aren't exploiting the economy or getting in the way of other people's play, then I don't see any harm in it, even if it's still against terms.

  14. #74
    Herald of the Titans starkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Planet Caravan
    Posts
    2,850
    Botted 1-600 fishing cause it was boring and botted using the mantid archeology exploit to get the camel the only times ive cheated at the game.
    You are lying! I never hit you! YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, LISA!

  15. #75
    This is crazy!

    I would have thought the island on 5.4 would be a botters dream come true, all those hidden chests and random mobs at set spawn locations.

  16. #76
    Botting in content designed for groupplay is a dickmove..
    so unless ur botting leveld up y doing quests (or any way that doesnt include dungeons or battlegrounds) then no harm done.. but getting into a battleground where half of the ppl are bots sucks..

    the only bot ive ever used is a fishing bot to get those rare fishing acheivs in wotlk.. and that isnt hurting any1.

  17. #77
    Mechagnome Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    ....I'm sorry, but you lost me. How do ANY of those differ from ANOTHER PLAYER doing it? When people refer to bots having an impact on the server/game/community, they're talking about shit like running a profile in an area full of quest mobs. Sure, one person could run around and kill them all, but when a bot does it for hours on end, it really takes its toll. Also, tossing 200+ stacks of ore, herbs, etc up on the AH for stupidly cheap prices. Or running an entire party's worth of bots in a BG, and the bot you're using is total garbage. When you can tell someone's a bot, THAT is what effects the game. Not just because you had a mob stolen from you, or because someone is farming mats specifically for their/their guild's use. As I said in my first post, there are two types of botters; and the type I fit in, you'd never even know I was a botter.
    His point isn't that he can or can't tell if someone is a bot, it's that the person behind the bot cannot conceivably play all of his profiles for the amount of time the bots run for. Yes your argument that "it's just another player" in their mind is valid, but look at the big picture of the argument. There is a perceived effect and an actual effect. By running 5 bots 24/7, you are affecting other players around you more than if you were to be playing without the bots. That's his point. To sit back and say you aren't affecting anything is not true. To say you are having the same affect on your surroundings as a regular player is also a lie. Maybe it's a lie you tell yourself to make it "okay."

    With that said, I'm fine with people who bot, but id never want it to be made "legal" by blizzard. I've thought about joining in on the action before, but never had the funds to do so. I couldn't imagine doing something like that unless I could make a return that would justify being able to take multiple bans with a shrug of the shoulders.

    I used to heavily macro in SWG (preCU/NGE) which would automate playing. I did half of the 32 professions (I believe) with macro automation. Finished all 4 of the entertainer professions in a week or 2, and a few weeks for all of the artisan professions. I did run some combat macros, but it didn't really get a significant amount of experience for me as the others did. I don't think it was against the EULA. That game was grindy as hell. I think I remember working out one f the crafting professions needed 10,000 or more crafts to level up, and the macro would take anywhere from 4-6 seconds to run one craft. That would come out to almost 17 straight hours of clicking through crafting menus.
    wyrd bið ful aræd

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    ban all bots - zero tolerance.

    Bots ruined the fun for me in battlegrounds. It got silly when more than half your team were bots and you basically sat there getting graveyard camped. Thank god for dual screens so I could just do something else while waiting it out in ghost form.

    It was a factor in why I left the game, blizzard inability to control the amount of bots. If GW2 can remove bots then so should blizzard.
    GW2 is the heaviest bot game I have ever seen, like half of the servers o0

    BTT: If you don't interact in any way it's okay....if you did anything else all should be banned

  19. #79
    My brother bots his ass off every xpac. Bots to level. Then bots his pvp gear. Then bots alts.

    Active account since vanilla.

    Been warned dozens of times but never banned. Blizzard doesn't want to lose their paying subs. Bottom line: botting is OK in Blizzard's eyes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Botting in content designed for groupplay is a dickmove..
    so unless ur botting leveld up y doing quests (or any way that doesnt include dungeons or battlegrounds) then no harm done.. but getting into a battleground where half of the ppl are bots sucks..

    the only bot ive ever used is a fishing bot to get those rare fishing acheivs in wotlk.. and that isnt hurting any1.
    > Calls people a dick for botting
    > Admits to botting

  20. #80
    The Lightbringer Moon Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Behind her rifle, in that tree you just passed.
    Posts
    3,314
    Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    Botted 1-600 fishing cause it was boring and botted using the mantid archeology exploit to get the camel the only times ive cheated at the game.
    "Racketeering is a victimless crime, why should I go to jail for it? Things happen, bad things, just sayin"
    I mean really, you botted coz you found fishing boring. If I find raiding boring, is it okay to just bot and exploit my way to epix? No, it's not. If you find it boring don't do it. Simple as that.

    the only bot ive ever used is a fishing bot to get those rare fishing acheivs in wotlk.. and that isnt hurting any1.
    you don't deserve the achievements, catching fish has an impact on the wow economy as fish are commonly used in all number of raid foods (and a solid market exists for their sale), you're a hypocritical cheater and should be banned with the others.
    If it's not an elf, leave it on the shelf.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •