Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How can I improve? (Mage)

Hey!

This is my first thread in this (sub) forum, and I'm here because I'm afraid my performance isn't as good as it could be. My DPS is a little too low, despite my gear being better than the others in my raid.

If anyone can give me pointers to what I'm doing wrong, that'd be great.

Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...venue/advanced

WoL log from yesterday: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r2wp893cous7bgxz/ (This log is a little weird as I had forgotten to clear out the combat log, still readable though)

WoL log from today: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/db65v0eyl0yocoak/

Any help is much appreciated. Also, I'm primarily concerned about my DPS, but other improvements (survival, etc) would also be good!

Thanks!

Deleted
    Nethertempest uptime: 65%, which is kinda shit. aim for 90%+

Rune of Power uptime: 49,6% which is utterly shit for your mana management and dps

So, my tip for you is to ditch Arcane and go Frost. ToT is fairly movement heavy and specs like Arcane cant really shine due to our lvl 90 talent Rune of Power which is mandatory for Arcane

You should get some sort of addon to track thing like Bomb uptime and RoP/Invocation. I use NeedtoKnow personally but TellMeWhen and WeakAuras are very good addons too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Which log are you looking at? I think the first log is thoroughly wonky. (That, or I really understand less about WoL than I thought)

10+ Year Old Account
    Lei Shen will never be a great fight for Nether Tempest uptime, obviously. Sadly, it's also a woeful fight for Arcane, along with almost every other fight in ToT. Do what he suggests, and go Frost until you can reforge/regem to 40%+ish crit for Fire.

Presuming you know the basics, such as which bomb to use for which fights etc. For some reason you're using Nether Tempest on single-target or 2-target fights, such as Twins - use Living Bomb for these. Other than that, simply lining up your cooldowns, moving as little as possible without messing up mechanics, "aggressively casting" to make the absolute most of every GCD, and that sort of thing.
    Last edited by Constraint; 2013-08-19 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Constraint View Post
    Lei Shen will never be a great fight for Nether Tempest uptime, obviously. Sadly, it's also a woeful fight for Arcane, along with almost every other fight in ToT. Do what he suggests, and go Frost until you can reforge/regem to 40%+ish crit for Fire.

Presuming you know the basics, such as which bomb to use for which fights etc. For some reason you're using Nether Tempest on single-target or 2-target fights, such as Twins - use Living Bomb for these. Other than that, simply lining up your cooldowns, moving as little as possible without messing up mechanics, "aggressively casting" to make the absolute most of every GCD, and that sort of thing.
    For the bolded part, I have no excuse at all - I knew this, but simply forgot. >.<

The idea was to be Arcane until I had enough gear to go Fire, as that seemed to be doing better DPS overall in ToT, is that not the case?

Oh and I am tracking my Bomb, but I miss it for a couple of seconds occasionally. Maybe I should improve the reminder somehow?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    For the bolded part, I have no excuse at all - I knew this, but simply forgot. >.<

The idea was to be Arcane until I had enough gear to go Fire, as that seemed to be doing better DPS overall in ToT, is that not the case?

Oh and I am tracking my Bomb, but I miss it for a couple of seconds occasionally. Maybe I should improve the reminder somehow?
    Depends on gear and how good you are at maximizing boss uptime. If you can somehow pull off standing still without gimping your raid or dying then Arcane at your level should be better. It depends on luck as well though, if you get some of those focused lightnings on you during Jin'Rokh then that ends your dps. Also keep in mind how much Arcane and Fire scale with gear as compared to Frost.

Edit: though really you should always be in your rune of power if you can. <50% uptime is just too low.

That is horribly wrong, Arcane is not better at his ilvl. You need T15 4pc and some heroic gear before it starts to climb even with fire. Frost is what you should be, if hands down performs the best at low ilvl. Stack int and reforge to haste until le you get 2 rppm trinkets then go full haste. Don't switch to fire till you have around 40% crit and don't go arcane until like 540 ilvl

Is it wise to still be advising people to go full haste once they have two RPPM trinkets considering the upcoming nerf to RPPM trinkets interactions with haste, which will most likely put intellect back on top again. Just might cause more confusion than it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Abhorsen View Post
    Is it wise to still be advising people to go full haste once they have two RPPM trinkets considering the upcoming nerf to RPPM trinkets interactions with haste, which will most likely put intellect back on top again. Just might cause more confusion than it helps.
    Seeing how 5.4 is still 2-4 weeks away why play suboptimal till then. Also whith the current build haste is better to a certain % (like 53 if I remember correctly) then you go full mastery, not int. things will change before patch but my post is how it stand now.

First of all, thanks for all the advice! I'm going to go either Fire or Frost for the next raid, most likely Frost given that I have very few pieces with Crit on it.

As for 5.4, I'm pretty sure it was announced to be released the 27th (28th in EU). Has that changed?

Deleted
    First of all, thanks for all the advice! I'm going to go either Fire or Frost for the next raid, most likely Frost given that I have very few pieces with Crit on it.

As for 5.4, I'm pretty sure it was announced to be released the 27th (28th in EU). Has that changed?
    They Said the arena season would end 27th, but they dident announc the patch Day yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixers View Post
    They Said the arena season would end 27th, but they dident announc the patch Day yet.
    I'm sure they did say 5.4 would release on the 27th (well, that it was scheduled to). Holinka also said that the patch release would mark the end of the season; if the patch doesn't release, the season doesn't end. I was wondering if the schedule was changed.

Which log are you looking at? I think the first log is thoroughly wonky. (That, or I really understand less about WoL than I thought)
    I'm looking at your Lei Shen one from "Today".

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/d...s=9787&e=10312
    65.8% Uptime on Nether Tempest, AND it was your #1 damaging spell?!

49.6% Uptime on Rune of Power?! Oh dear...

I would greatly recommend going Frost as others pointed out.

Looking at your other log though... (Was gonna look at Qon but you were dead for over half the fight >_> so, I looked up Twins instead)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=9280&e=9809
    92.8% on NT, much better, but could be improved slightly. Plus, it's not your #1, which is always good

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=9280&e=9809
    87.6% on RoP; little low, but still way better than your LS one.

I'd still recommend Frost overall. It's better in pretty much every regard until you get a bit more experienced and a lot more gear (You can go Fire with just the gear part though. It's the least skill-based out of any spec >.>)

- - - Updated - - -

Extremely unlikely it will land the 27th. They did that to deter people from playing Final Fantasy XIV on launch day. They aren't anywhere close to ready, and as proof, we haven't had a release candidate build yet; they usually have a release build for about 5-7 days before it comes live.

I give it roughly a 2% chance of 5.4 coming live on the 27th.

My guess? September 10th. I don't think they'll be ready by the 3rd either, but by the 10th they should definitely be.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    -snip-
    These were my first kills of these bosses (went from having killed Primordius at best to killing Twins, and then LS the next day), so I was pretty new to them, which made my performance notably worse than it should have been. I'm probably going to go Frost though, thanks!

As for the second part, that sounds pretty conspiracy theory-ish to me, but I would definitely like it if you're right.

As for the second part, that sounds pretty conspiracy theory-ish to me, but I would definitely like it if you're right.
    It's not really if you think about it. Why the 27th and so suddenly?

- They JUST started with the Class tweaking, something they need to do a lot of.
    - They didn't do 25m testing at ALL when they announced the 27th (which was a week ago).
    - We're 1 week away from the supposed 27th with no release candidate and still broken classes/specs (Hunters, Rogues, and Frost Mages to name a few that I know of).

If it actually came out the 27th, the patch would be rushed beyond belief and there would be SO many hotfixes the following weeks to fix any bugs they missed and to do all their class tweaking via those.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't the first time they had planned patch release dates when other games were coming out...

*Coughs* But now I'm way off topic, haha XD Just don't expect the patch to come before September
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

-snip-
    *Coughs* But now I'm way off topic, haha XD Just don't expect the patch to come before September
    Again, I'd like it if you were right, I'd like a week or two more in ToT before moving onto SoO (recently started).

It's only somewhat off-topic, because this means I have more time to improve before I'll really need it (in SoO)! :P

Oh, and for the patches coming out at the same time as games do, you're right, but I don't think they've announced a patch and not released it when it's meant to combat another game. I might be wrong, though.

Polar, man... Again clueless about arcane. 50% uptime on RoP on Lei Sheb isn't nearly as bad as you think. You spend 99% of phase 3 out of your rune, plus catching balls and stack or overcharge. 60% is about as best as you can hope for. Also 80% or so bomb uptimes are the best you can get due to transitions. And about the patch, the arena season always ends 1-2 weeks before patch

Deleted
    I'm looking at your Lei Shen one from "Today".

65.8% Uptime on Nether Tempest, AND it was your #1 damaging spell?!

49.6% Uptime on Rune of Power?! Oh dear...
    Lei Shen is never a good boss to test uptimes btw. He may not have been using Rune of Power during those idle transitions and NT obviously won't be up then. But it's weird that NT was his #1 damaging spell indeed. I suspect he's doing something with the rotation wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Azlarn View Post
    Lei Shen is never a good boss to test uptimes btw. He may not have been using Rune of Power during those idle transitions and NT obviously won't be up then. But it's weird that NT was his #1 damaging spell indeed. I suspect he's doing something with the rotation wrong.
    He should be using Living Bomb but that's beside the point. Eery single pull of LS my #1 damage is LB. Thats 220+ pulls as arcane with LB coming out on top, so it's possible he isn't doing the rotation wrong he just needs to work better on minimizing movement and. It also just dawned on me that the we are talking about regular LS while I'm speaking on the pov of heroic...