Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is my phone dead?

Heya,
    so i have had my phone for like age's (like 5 year's i think) it's a sony experia X10 mini, i'm surfing around facebook alot on it, and recently it has just been randomly just shutting itself of and restarting just POFF, no warning, and today it just completly froze, no buttons responded, or anything, and the screen light diden't go off at any point, so i guess'd i could just let the battery run out and then recharge it and the froze would be over, but it wont charge.. so just wondering if any1 else has been through anything similer or if there is something too do about it

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    5 years? You sure do take care of your phones... It hasnt been 2 and a half years for me and I've already switched 4 phones. Now I'm no phone expert but I believe that yes it is dead.

Deleted
    5 years is a long time for any phone, modern electronics are pretty much designed to fail after a certain time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enchanted View Post
    5 years? You sure do take care of your phones... It hasnt been 2 and a half years for me and I've already switched 4 phones. Now I'm no phone expert but I believe that yes it is dead.
    abit exadreation i think, say's it's launch date was 2010, so 3 year's

Try removing the battery for a little bit before replacing it, should power the phone down and let you start it again. Though you may want to start considering backuping anything you want to keep on the phone for the day it does expire (Sony Ericsson should have some software on their site that'll let you synch your phone with your comp and backup things).

10+ Year Old Account
    so if i am too get a new phone, wich one is the best one out there atm?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Draknalor186 View Post
    so if i am too get a new phone, wich one is the best one out there atm?
    Thats opening a big can of worms, but lets just say the Galaxy S4 is very popular right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Thats opening a big can of worms, but lets just say the Galaxy S4 is very popular right now.
    well i haven't really kept track off the phone release's so just checking

- - - Updated - - -

trying doing some research on the web, apprently this is not only my problem, alot of people have had it.. kinda amazing that i survive'd this long without it happening before

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enchanted View Post
    That is the hallmark of quality. Samsung, iPhone might have crap but Nokia, Ericsson(back in the days), Sony still go for quality.
    Not every phone manufacturer still apply the appliances a la fridge, micro oven policy of lasting 3 years then break down so you are forced to buy a new one
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Let's just say iphone5 is very popular right now xD

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    That is the hallmark of quality. Samsung, iPhone might have crap but Nokia, Ericsson(back in the days), Sony still go for quality.
    Not every phone manufacturer still apply the appliances a la fridge, micro oven policy of lasting 3 years then break down so you are forced to buy a new one
    I"ve had my phone now for a year and 2 months it's still pretty much perfect. I do wonder when it'll fail but I'm already upgrading so won't find out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Let's just say iphone5 is very popular right now xD
    Lawl. I am so stealing that gif for every time some hipster raves about his new Apple iPaperweight on my facebook feed.

15+ Year Old Account
    If removing the battery for a while and then putting it back in doesn't help then I think you might be out of luck, sounds to me like it would indeed then be dead. As for getting a replacement, there are a lot of good smartphones out right now, I suggest googling for some reviews and seeing what suits you best (one good place to start off with is if you'd like iOS, Android or Windows Phone as your phones operating system).

A word of warning, let's not have this start into a "this phone is better than X" or "this phone is the best" discussion, as it will just turn out unproductive. You can of course post your experience with the phone you have, but no arguing please.

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Lawl. I am so stealing that gif for every time some hipster raves about his new Apple iPaperweight on my facebook feed.
    Hey! I like my iPhone lol. Mostly because I'm a simple phone type of guy. Does what it does don't need much else. I was interested in getting the s4 though as an upgrade instead just to see how it is. It's just so big!

15+ Year Old Account
    I"ve had my phone now for a year and 2 months it's still pretty much perfect. I do wonder when it'll fail but I'm already upgrading so won't find out.
    Im pretty sure that in todays fast moving world of new 'usable' features their comoponents have a limited life time.
    There is no marketing reason to produce a phone with a long limetime now when the innovation is so quick.
    They really only have to supply components that last 24h months cos that is (usually) the longest contract deals that net providers supply and guarantee usually last for that duration.

Sorry for my bound to be english, beer and World of Tanks after a monday AW.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Im pretty sure that in todays fast moving world of new 'usable' features their comoponents have a limited life time.
    There is no marketing reason to produce a phone with a long limetime now when the innovation is so quick.
    They really only have to supply components that last 24h months cos that is (usually) the longest contract deals that net providers supply and guarantee usually last for that duration.

Sorry for my bound to be english, beer and World of Tanks after a monday AW.
    I'm semi interested in getting that 42 meg nokia. I don't even take pictures, but maybe I would with something like that.

Deleted
    Hey! I like my iPhone lol. Mostly because I'm a simple phone type of guy. Does what it does don't need much else. I was interested in getting the s4 though as an upgrade instead just to see how it is. It's just so big!
    Since when is something being big ever a problem?

When it's not a penis.... Or a bank account.

5 years is a long time for any phone, modern electronics are pretty much designed to fail after a certain time.
    Usually the immediate day AFTER the warranty expires.

And "Lifetime" warranties are only about 7-10 years. >,>

15+ Year Old Account
    If you were me buying boxer shorts you would know.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and like it, so I would endorse the S4 or Note II if you're into the phablet thing. If you really want the newest thing, and you can wait a bit, the Moto X is coming out soon.