1. #1

    I was having fun on the ptr when..

    I was having fun on the ptr playing around on classes when I decided to install recount and see how much dps I could get wearing only pvp gear.

    So I proceeded to make a premade of each class (except druids got bored before getting there) and got them geared optimally for their spec with the free pvp gear. I used a tenacity trinket (remove cc) and the on use str/agi/int. granted I'm no expert at any class since I'm an alt-aholic so I used icy-veins for quick reference much like lazy students uses Wikipedia. My results were extremely weird:

    Fury War 73k dps
    Ret 85k dps
    surv Hunt 80k dps
    Ass rog 75k dps
    Spriest 75k
    Arc Mage 88k
    Aff lock 73k
    WW monk 104k dps
    unholy dk 73k dps
    enh sham 90k dps

    All where self buffed of course for 10min fights (stopwatch) no bloodlust (too big advantage). I just got my monk to 90 today there's no way in hell I'm a master of it. so how the hell did I get 104k dps (for 10 min). I thought buffs since they had good ones 5% crit and motw so tried without self buff but still got 90k+ dps.

    the class I played the most : Priest, Paladin, Mage, Rogue, War. in that order
    the least: Druid, Hunter, Monk, DK, Sham, Lock

    Did pvp gear restrict some class more? or am I just bad with most of these classes and should just play a monk? pvp gear is 522... 75k feel low or are raid buffs THAT game changing... I'm guessing 5% crit for fury war is incredible! Or things changed so much during ptr that icy-veins is out of date?

  2. #2
    You did target dummy testing? Keep in mind that certain classes do more damage based on the hp of the target, so that will skew your results.

  3. #3
    Moderator LocNess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Posts
    3,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    You did target dummy testing? Keep in mind that certain classes do more damage based on the hp of the target, so that will skew your results.
    And some specs or classes are very helped greatly by raid buffs as well.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    34,088
    There is way too much that goes into dps for this to have any real effect. For instance, you lose a portion of unholy/UH festerblight since you can't soul reaper a dummy. You also lose out on raid buffs. I wouldn't look at any of your tests are reliable.



  5. #5
    Brb rerolling WW Monk

    Kidding, still how can u do this much dmg on Dummies with pvp gear?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Blithe View Post
    Most of the Wildstar beta that I participated in consisted of global chat talking about how much better World of Warcraft was until we eventually logged off and logged onto Warcraft instead (that was hilarious).
    Quote Originally Posted by Beige View Post
    If you want to chill and enjoy the leveling experience go play SWTOR, the rest of us are in it to win it

  6. #6
    I just retested, this time I'm testing with the normal dummy which has 1/5 health (you can execute all the time) both 5 min on each dummy (I should have done 8min and 2 min execute since execute for most is 20% of the fight) I came with two results for each normal and execute

    first number normal, second execute
    rogue 85k, 105k
    Pal 85k, 86k
    survhunt 85k, 100k
    furywar 85k, 112k
    Monk 104k, 123k
    arcMage 95k, 93k ? lol
    Unholy 94k, 106k
    afflock 80k, 77k dps no idea how to execute the execute phase

    Having trouble logging into the priest shadowform crashes wow somehow. not sure how I managed to get them all at 85k and yesterday I was struggling to do so -_- The rogue buff just came in though so that's explained.

    The monk's execute phase is cheating since it doesn't really exist against boss, maybe once at the end (if lucky)
    Last edited by Damax; 2013-08-20 at 02:54 AM.

  7. #7
    Dreadlord Csnyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    sarasota
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    Brb rerolling WW Monk

    Kidding, still how can u do this much dmg on Dummies with pvp gear?
    none of the numbers are impressive at all, the amounts posted are nothing on dumbies

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Damax View Post
    I just retested, this time I'm testing with the normal dummy which has 1/5 health (you can execute all the time) both 5 min on each dummy (I should have done 8min and 2 min execute since execute for most is 20% of the fight) I came with two results for each normal and execute

    first number normal, second execute
    rogue 85k, 105k
    Pal 85k, 86k
    survhunt 85k, 100k
    furywar 85k, 112k
    Monk 104k, 123k
    arcMage 95k, 93k ? lol
    Unholy 94k, 106k
    afflock 80k, 77k dps no idea how to execute the execute phase

    Having trouble logging into the priest shadowform crashes wow somehow. not sure how I managed to get them all at 85k and yesterday I was struggling to do so -_- The rogue buff just came in though so that's explained.
    the difference of 5 and 10 minutes means nothing, i hope you dont think these numbers are impressive in any way what so ever cause they are very low

  8. #8
    Monks sustained is very VERY strong in PvP. I'd go so far as to say it's the strongest of any class in the game with assassination as a close second.

    That said, with the use of burst cds I'm pretty sure a lot of other specs/classes should pull ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Csnyder View Post
    none of the numbers are impressive at all, the amounts posted are nothing on dumbies

    - - - Updated - - -



    the difference of 5 and 10 minutes means nothing, i hope you dont think these numbers are impressive in any way what so ever cause they are very low
    I hope you read that this is done full pvp gear, no trinket. besides I'm not looking at a e-peen contest but constating differences between classes or my horrible performances whichever. If you came here to boast about your heroic raiding dps logs you need not post ty.

    While in no way will in pvp a target stay there and do nothing imo It looks like classes are pretty tight in sustained dps with only Monk being much higher.

    @flaks For burst? Rogue peaked at 130k+ shaman 120k+ warrior was around 100k, unholy peaked 98k ish, arcane mage peaked around 112k. pal 110k. aff no burst. surv 92k ish burst

    TL: DR not sure why WW monk is so looked down upon in pvp.
    Last edited by Damax; 2013-08-20 at 03:10 AM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    Brb rerolling WW Monk

    Kidding, still how can u do this much dmg on Dummies with pvp gear?
    Because as of 5.0.4 (or rather, the first PVP season of MoP) PVP gear no longer has a budget that deducts for PVP stats. If it's 496 raid epics or 496 PVP gear, the stats are virtually the same. Sometimes that allowed PVP gear set bonuses to make certain classes better at progression. (Holy Paladin got a nerf because of that.)

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Because as of 5.0.4 (or rather, the first PVP season of MoP) PVP gear no longer has a budget that deducts for PVP stats. If it's 496 raid epics or 496 PVP gear, the stats are virtually the same. Sometimes that allowed PVP gear set bonuses to make certain classes better at progression. (Holy Paladin got a nerf because of that.)
    sorry misread that you had 5.0.4 as 5.4 :P
    Yes pvp gear is equal to pve gear and people still don't seem to understand that (same ilvl of course).
    WW monks have one of the most difficult rotations for damage iirc

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    WW monks have one of the most difficult rotations for damage iirc
    I have an easier time with it than I did Enhancement. Thankfully, everything you use aside from Tigereye Brew and Energizing Brew causes damage and is visually and audibly obvious. Especially now that Chi Wave is a DPS increase. A few weakauras and it's easy to remember when to push the former.

  13. #13
    don't you have to pretty much stand still though? another one of the problems

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    don't you have to pretty much stand still though? another one of the problems
    You're a melee, so no. The only time you have to "stand still" is for a single channeled abilty that takes ~3-4 seconds to cast and can be ignored during high movement phases as it's not a DPS increase unless you can get at least most of it off. I also have a level 90 Ret Paladin and the similarities between Holy Power and Chi are pretty huge. Windwalker is essentially a Rogue turned Paladin.

  15. #15
    I am Murloc! Airwaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Australia! G-day Mate!... (We don't really speak like that)
    Posts
    5,722
    Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    And some specs or classes are very helped greatly by raid buffs as well.
    Yep. Like his mut rogue. If the had the mastery buff he would have done ALOT more. Also with the HP of the dummies he would have never been able to use dispatch which is a huge increase in dps.
    Angels and Airwaves
    Aldmeri Dominion - Imperial - Templar - Laethys - High Elf - Assassin - Frostmourne - Orc - Rogue - Sea of Sorrows - Norn - Thief
    Borderlands 2 - Mechromancer - Battlefield 4 - Engineer - Diablo 3 - Wizard

  16. #16
    Presumably because target dummies don't have baseline resil like players do? Is that what you're getting at?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  17. #17
    Epic! Nyxxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Damax View Post
    afflock 80k, 77k dps no idea how to execute the execute phase
    Same as normal rotation just replace Malefic Grasp with Drain Soul and keep haunt 100% uptime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crym View Post
    Spoiler: The reason Garrosh is defeated is because, just when he's being attacked, Malchezaar pops out of a portal, yells "yoink!", and takes his weapon away.
    Armory

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Damax View Post
    I hope you read that this is done full pvp gear, no trinket. besides I'm not looking at a e-peen contest but constating differences between classes or my horrible performances whichever. If you came here to boast about your heroic raiding dps logs you need not post ty.

    While in no way will in pvp a target stay there and do nothing imo It looks like classes are pretty tight in sustained dps with only Monk being much higher.

    @flaks For burst? Rogue peaked at 130k+ shaman 120k+ warrior was around 100k, unholy peaked 98k ish, arcane mage peaked around 112k. pal 110k. aff no burst. surv 92k ish burst

    TL: DR not sure why WW monk is so looked down upon in pvp.
    You could most likely do 50% more damage on any of them with some improved play, basicly this means nothing, other then you being a slightly better monk then others.
    Trylb / Galesin
    Winners never quit, Quitters never win
    Nobody Said It Was Easy

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryana View Post
    You could most likely do 50% more damage on any of them with some improved play, basicly this means nothing, other then you being a slightly better monk then others.
    anyone else tried self buffed dummy test with full grievous, tenacity trinket and on use str/agi/intel can confirm my data is really screwed up? how high did you get?
    Are trinket that much of a dps increase?

    @mormolyce don't care about resil or pvp power since none work and they are pretty much the same for all classes. exemple: 100k on dummy = 30k on player

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •