Thread: western MMORPG

western MMORPG

Hello there all

i just wanted to open a discution about this and would love to know your tought about it ... How would you like a MMORPG about westurn ? like to mine digger and also the horse indiens and all

so from what i seen i dont think there is one out yet is there?
    i know red dead redomption was a good idea but there is nothing realy to level up and use realy for a MMORPG ..

WaLaSy

Oh and im french sorrfor the bad spelling!

10+ Year Old Account
    That might be a cool thing, i just don't think there's an audience for it... Maybe it is just me, but i feel the western vibe is now démodé.

But maybe, just maybe it could work if done properly, with 3 factions: indians, cowboys and outlaws.

Every character ability would be based around gun/bow firing/shooting and riding horses i think, there's not a lot to explore it.

Come to think of it, there was this action-mmorpg i used to play some years ago that shared that theme, albeit a little bit steampunkified. By Softnyx, iirc.

Well you can't have cowboys vs Indians for pc reasons, but a scifi/western, horror/western or steampunk/western would be fun. As long as there is no trinity, the tech stayed true to western tech levels aside from a few flavor/theme peices and it was gritty 13+ themed.

I've always thought it would be cool if it had the same polish as wow or rift. But given the general lack of market it will most likely never happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think an open world, western MMO would be fantastic. Something like an expanded online RDR.

Give the indians a sort of magic, allow the cowboys to get magic from a bottle and make the outlaws brutish and rogueish.

Could work, would distinguish itself from all the fantasy and sci fi MMOs (and whatever the hell The Secret World is).

Red Dead World?

Quote Originally Posted by Migas11 View Post
    That might be a cool thing, i just don't think there's an audience for it... Maybe it is just me, but i feel the western vibe is now démodé.
    I just love the fact that:

1) You used the word "démodé" in a sentence.
    2) You took the time to italicised it.
    3) You even went to all the trouble of putting the diacritical marks in.
    4) You have that avatar while doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Maybe this:

Indian Race:

In tune with nature. Have the best horse riding abilities. Maybe 6 classes.
    Chieftain - Sort of like enhancement shaman/bard. Can deal insane melee damage with large imbued axes or maces. Can heal through drums of battle.
    Warlord - A berserker melee class similar to a light armor warrior. Can self heal. Has a ton of shouts and warcrys.
    Soothsayer - A healer class. Calls upon the magic essences to heal fallen allies. Can also damage from a range with curses. Sort of a which doctor type.
    Bowmaster - This is a ranged class but not a hunter. Has no pet. Highly mobile and can throw tomahawks on top of bows.
    Tracker - Can go stealth. Dual weilds light weapons. This is their rogue class. Tricky, slippery.
    Naturalist - Has a permanent pet. Can do summons of spirits that can change him into bear, eagle, or wolf. Druid like class.

The outlaws. These are brutish warriors that embrace technology and magic alike.

Maverick - Ranged DPS that used a magically imbued deck of cards to deal damage. Deals big critical damage and works off of a chance system. Has abilities that lock him into certain suits of cards for a duration allowing him to temporarily tank with diamonds, heal through hearts, and damage through spades.

Professional - This is a hooker class. Heals through, "buffing" people at close range. Has a ton of CC through charms. Can also fear and stuff. Deals ranged damage by throwing fans. Also has tons of hidden weapons for critical close range damage.

Gunslinger - Ranged class that deals barrage type damage through chaining combos. Can also be played to use 1 pistol and focus on aimed shooting. Highly mobile.

Mercenary - A larger brutish class. Weilds a large wooden club. Can tank. Deals massive damage at close range and uses a minigun at long range. Very slow.

Tinkerer - Uses technology to enhance himself. Can tank heal or damage with techno arms. Also can drop barrels and turrets. Can throw dynamite.

Thief - Stealth shadowy class. Uses knives and poisons. Can vanish into thin air and appear behind enemies.

The cowboy faction. Uses skills that dont use much technology or magic but instead focus on stunts and natural talent.

Ranch Hand - Large and burly the ranch hand uses his hands to fight. Has tons of brutish attacks. Can drink to pump himself up. Uses ropes like the deathknight to bring people close to him. Uses taunts in the form of insults. Spits on people for threat.

Priest - Heals with the power of christ. Throws holy water. Baptises people to cleanse. Strikes down people at a range with the word of god.

Lawman - Melee/ranged/tank class that can CC people with handcuffs. Weilds two large pistols. At close range can punch people. Sort of the paladin of the series.

Maybe two more classes I cant think of right now. Def something that can ride horses almost as good as the indians and then a bandito class that is a ranged berserking class.

Well right now RPG are not only about raid and killing monster from what i see it .. me and my wife play mostly to craft trade and more so i think westurn could actuly bring some challengs like taming wild horses or trading fur or others

just trying to see something diferent from what i think ..

Quote Originally Posted by Migas11 View Post

But maybe, just maybe it could work if done properly, with 3 factions: indians, cowboys and outlaws.

Every character ability would be based around gun/bow firing/shooting and riding horses i think, there's not a lot to explore it.

Come to think of it, there was this action-mmorpg i used to play some years ago that shared that theme, albeit a little bit steampunkified. By Softnyx, iirc.
    - - - Updated - - -

Well i thnk you also forget that there was also the army at this time that was slowly marging in the wolrd so it would be also a good point to add some mercenary and also you have mexicains that is also used in some of those games that are not MMO

its just a tought here but i do think it would actly get some ppl to play this.... Red Dead Redomption did have big sales and i dont beleive that westurn is that dead.. we are all coming back to what was old and good

WaLaSy

It bothered me for a while, how there haven't really been any great western games beyond RDR, the last 2 games I remember playing with western themes were outlaws and Desperado apart from these i've yet to find any decent wild west type games, i think it simply is that there is no market for it.

as an mmo i guess it could work, but how would it work really well, do you have one shot kills and perma death, or health pools and 10 minute slog fests. i'd prefer the former as it would feel more right. beyond fighting each other what would be the main draw to a wild west game beyond pvp and resource gathering, i feel it could be relatively bland if not given some sort of sci-fi twist.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2013-08-20 at 05:11 PM.

I think a Western MMO could work. It would essentially be Fallen Earth in the American Old West.

Rather such an MMO would have a greater audience than Fallen Earth is another issue.

well yea and it could also use a lot of great graphics and possible raids things... i have a good hope for it .. now who do we tell to start working on this mmo? lol

10+ Year Old Account
    So something like red dead redemption + Fallout?
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Something like Eve Online set in the Old West would be amazing. I don't really like the idea of having an "Indians faction" because that's really not PC. That conflict would have to be present somehow if it were meant to be authentic, though.

You'd have to be able to build railroads though, so I could do some Hell on Wheels roleplaying as The Swede.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I just love the fact that:

1) You used the word "démodé" in a sentence.
    2) You took the time to italicised it.
    3) You even went to all the trouble of putting the diacritical marks in.
    4) You have that avatar while doing this.
    This brought me immense joy as well lol

Well i mostly think only 2 factions meaby but it would be totaly diferent one another because you can do a sherif in the cowboy devision but not a sherif indian .. i think so this would be a big rule to look into

and also the rails would be awesome and also a good quest to do to actuly jump on the train to do what ever needed

WaLasy

Would love a sandbox MMO in the western setting, but it has to be done well.

Like I usually dislike most western PC games, but Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is an example of it being done well, someone could probably get it right as an MMO as well but there's not much reason to take such a big risk when you can just make another woodelf and dwarf and automatically generate some interest.