Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Srg56 View Post
    Edgy.

I did google it, and failed to see how that case is relevant to this discussion, which apparently is about "cyber bullying", not rape and bullying in real life. The case of Parsons you mentioned was 100% real life, and not ones and zeroes, "angry words" on a forum or twitter.

I'm trying to figure what went trough your head when you wrote that, other than feigning righteous indignation.
    ... other than the pictures they posted online ?

You call me edgy, fair enough. Let me give you some background. I do volunteer "big brother" work for groups of kids (12 - 17 years old), who suffers from anxiety, OCD and depression. I mentor about 9 kids, 3 of those have been the target of severe cyberbullying. 1 of those tried committing suicide last fall because of a Facebook "hate" page and online shaming. I know first hand what this does to a person, even though the pages were brought down.

Z.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by abysdruid View Post
    Interesting how you think that everyone else should grow a thicker skin, rather than you should not post insulting comments?
    The issue here is that the polygon article is an obvious promo campaign for publicity. You see product name dropping, brand name dropping, promotional art, real names of allegedly "cyber bullying" victims used. This isn't an article written with the intent to shine a light on "cyber bullying", because if it were, it would hide the names of those who have been bullied, in order to prevent further bullying from happening.

It's literally the same thing that happened with Lady Gaga last week, when supposedly one of her new songs was "leaked" early on the internet. Allot of news agencies "suddely" picked up on this, and were stating how she was annoyed, furious on twitter and all of the sort, when nothing really had happened. But during the news presentation they made sure to let people know where and when she was having concerts in the following days, that her new music was out now, and where you could buy it, and so on. Obviously a publicity stunt. Somehow people can't see this polygon article is the same thing. Polygon is now officially as bad as Kotaku.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute scroll through twitter." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by abysdruid View Post
    Interesting how you think that everyone else should grow a thicker skin, rather than you should not post insulting comments?
    I was thinking the same thing. Of course, being mature seems to be beyond most people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    I think most of the anger directed at Developers is due to "nerfs" which is quite literally lazy or incompetent developers failing and making their entire customer base pay for it.

The just toss crap out there and see what sticks then remove what doesn't later our customer base be dammed style of programing that Ghostcrawler is the grandfather of or at least can be given credit for making main stream is the worse thing to ever happen to the gaming industry.

This style of developing has removed any and all responsibility from developers, placed the entire burden of dealing with their mistakes on their customer base. It is only natural that there will be loss integrity and trust of their respective companies and anger by their consumer base because of it.

They simply can't expect to be treated any different than they treat, most every bit of anger directed toward them they earned.

The fix is simple no more nerfs!

Once anything is moved off of test servers on to live servers it is a done deal, live should be buffs only. This would shift the burden back to the developers where it belongs.
    What the actual fuck are you talking about? First of all, I don't see how your hatred towards GC fits into that post. You just randomly made one single developer responsible for a so called trend of "lazy and incompetent game development". Also, how are nerfs a sign of incompetence and laziness of developers? I just don't get it.

On a side note, you realize that people are harrasing/stalking game developers irl and they also don't refrain from sending out death-threats. And you do realize that you are kinda shifting the blame on the victims here. Without any valid arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Srg56 View Post
    The issue here is that the polygon article is an obvious promo campaign for publicity. You see product name dropping, brand name dropping, promotional art, real names of allegedly "cyber bullying" victims used. This isn't an article written with the intent to shine a light on "cyber bullying", because if it were, it would hide the names of those who have been bullied, in order to prevent further bullying from happening.
    I uh. What? Show examples of what you mean, because I've read the article and I can't see any of this. What are they supposed to be marketing? And did you even read one of the first sentences in the article?

Developers, both named and those who wish to remain anonymous, tell Polygon that harassment by gamers is becoming an alarmingly regular expected element of game development.
    The named ones are those who are already pretty public developers. There are also plenty of anonymous ones, which the article refers to. If it was some sort of promotional thing, why are they getting anonymous people to reply?

You make no sense whatsoever.

Deleted
    IMO the "follow through" part that people are talking about is a strange one. If you wrote a letter with "I'm going to kill you" and physically posted (as in post box/mail) it to someone, whether you meant it or not. The police do take this seriously, as they should. But the moment it is online, that's ok? It's a laugh? It's only kids?

What if it isn't?

Freedom of speech/freedom of expression is not an absolute right, it is a qualified right. Right to life is an absolute right (EU law that is!)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhira View Post
    ... other than the pictures they posted online ?

You call me edgy, fair enough. Let me give you some background. I do volunteer "big brother" work for groups of kids (12 - 17 years old), who suffers from anxiety, OCD and depression. I mentor about 9 kids, 3 of those have been the target of severe cyberbullying. 1 of those tried committing suicide last fall because of a Facebook "hate" page and online shaming. I know first hand what this does to a person, even though the pages were brought down.

Z.
    By "severe cyberbullying" you mean online name calling only, or real life humiliation and mockery? Because the article we are discussing here, is limited to "someone wrote something nasty on the internet" and that's it. These people were not bullied daily over long periods of time, no photos of them in humiliating settings have been posted, it's literally, "boohoo someone called me nasty things".

What i'm getting at here is that just because a medium is used to spread information, that doesn't mean we get to invent a new type of bullying every time that happens. What you are describing, and i think i understand, is real life bullying(using real life just to make myself clear here) and psychological trauma, humiliation by peers, WITH the help of technology. I have nothing to say, or add to that Fact. It's real, it happens, and we should stop it whenever it happens. I hope i made myself clear on that.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute scroll through twitter." - Winston Churchill

People like that is just pathetic, maby they should enjoy the games instead of making death threats to developers family's.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2013-08-20 at 12:03 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    I uh. What? Show examples of what you mean, because I've read the article and I can't see any of this. What are they supposed to be marketing? And did you even read one of the first sentences in the article?
    I don't believe we read the same article. And if we did, you .. i don't know a way around this. Are you intentionally ignoring the promotional art for dragon age and the ingame screenshot for Mass Effect 3 with the brand logo on the lower right? Not to mention the names of games being used in the article? How many times is the "Call of Duty: Black Ops 2" with special italics used in the article?

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    The named ones are those who are already pretty public developers. There are also plenty of anonymous ones, which the article refers to. If it was some sort of promotional thing, why are they getting anonymous people to reply?
    And because they are "pretty public" that means you get to name them again to remind the supposed "cyber bullies" that they can have another go at them? Remember, this is serious, right? Right? And why would they get anonymous people to reply? Because it is an article about "cyber bullying".
    Last edited by Srg56; 2013-08-20 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    Dear god;

What the actual fuck now, internet? Grow a thicker skin and stop being a whiny faggot.
    you don't know how it is, you're not followed by thousands on Twitter, Facebook and constantly being harassed

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    What the actual fuck now, internet? Grow a thicker skin and stop being a whiny faggot.
    Lets say you're a game dev. You like hearing feedback on your game, who doesn't, so you go to check your twitter.
    Hundreds of deaththreats, insults, slurs, threats against your family, calls for you to be fired, etc await you.

You shrug it off and move on, going to your email you use for customer feedback. Same thing.
    Forums, same thing.

You've been seeing this for over 5 years, every. single. day. And god forbid you make a balance change!

"Well why are you checking those if there's so much abuse?" Because otherwise you can't get customer feedback. Sure you could balance still due to numbers...but what if a spec isn't found fun? How would you know, since maybe you like it?
    So you have to keep checking every day to do your job to the fullest.

"Grow thick skin!"
    That's the thing, being unfazed for years IS thick skin. Did you know Niagra Falls erodes 1ft each year? Or the easiest way to get an injury is repetition? Even the thickest skin gets worn away eventually(As we've seen in the past many times)

And the moment it's too much, that you have the gall to tell people to stop.
    "Stop being a whiny faggot!"

Congratz, you know what it's like to be GC.

Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    Some do. Like that lady from Bioware. She recently left too citing "family reasons". But we all know she really left because she was harassed and got death threats. Disgusting.
    I don't think it is only about taking those threats seriously. I can imagine it's not really fun to do a job where you get trolled day in and day out by some pathetic people. And why would you do a job you are not enjoying?

You also never know if someone is serious or not. That we laugh about some jackass threatening us on the internet once a month or whatever, sure. But I wouldn't play a game or be on a forum where I get death threats very often.

People are just scumbags now days. Trolling used to be just for jokes but has blow up into a hell of a lot more. In the end people have just turned in to scumbags with their "Internet Wall of Protection! I can say anything!" Buy a scumbag is a scumbag.

Lots of internet heroes flying around here. You seem to be putting in an effort to argue AGAINST moral decency. You can't expect to be taken seriously. People call each other names online, its okay; people call others names IRL, it becomes an issue. In this day and age, the internet is a VERY big part of society, and like people have said you can't hide behind your screen as well as you think you can.

Be it death threats or not, threats are threats. Just because "REAL" bullying in real life can make people commit suicide doesnt mean online threats have no meaning. "Oh.. if i kill a family in cold blood i get the death sentence? I guess robbing a bank is okay in that case, its much less severe and all )))))"

Get it through your head, youre on the wrong side of the argument. Think about what youre trying to defend before you think arguments can be taken seriously.

They should get some serious punishment as a example, they think they are internet badasses that cant be touched behind the computer screen.

Well, it's clear that the upbringing of many people has failed. Mostly teenagers, of course, brought up with the idea that they are sacred and everything they do or say is perfect. They even defend their harassment saying the victim should just 'grow a thicker skin'. Do you also tell a woman she shouldn't have worn a skirt when she's raped?

We can only hope that humanity can recover from the current generation of selfish idiots before it's too late. Sometimes I wish I could travel in time, just to see how the internet heroes who defend this behaviour will react when their kid kills himself because of a hate-page on facebook.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonex View Post
    Lots of internet heroes flying around here. You seem to be putting in an effort to argue AGAINST moral decency. You can't expect to be taken seriously. People call each other names online, its okay; people call others names IRL, it becomes an issue. In this day and age, the internet is a VERY big part of society, and like people have said you can't hide behind your screen as well as you think you can.

Be it death threats or not, threats are threats. Just because "REAL" bullying in real life can make people commit suicide doesnt mean online threats have no meaning. "Oh.. if i kill a family in cold blood i get the death sentence? I guess robbing a bank is okay in that case, its much less severe and all )))))"

Get it through your head, youre on the wrong side of the argument. Think about what youre trying to defend before you think arguments can be taken seriously.
    You seem to equate real life to a virtual medium. Nobody here is supporting death threats, be they online on in real life. Nobody here is encouraging any name calling, being a jerk online or any other general rudeness. It's just a call for common sense, and not blowing something out of proportions. The first reply to the OP sums up the best way to stop these trolls. Ignore them, grow a thicker skin. After all, 99% of these trolls will never carry their threats out, they are just trolling, or venting anger. Anonymity isn't the best thing, but it's far from the worst. It is very useful when expressing controversial opinions, or opinions which could get you thrown in jail in certain regimes. Trolling is a small price to pay for that, and it won't go away. That's why the best advice is to grow a thicker skin. See the trolls for what they are, pathetic people, and move on. It won't go away, unless you use Real IDs, which has been tried before, for example on the blizzard forums, ironically to stop this very problem, trolling.

What happened? Arguably the biggest outcry in the forum's history, because taking anonymity away causes so many more problems than it helps stop. Blizzard had to do a 180 and drop their Real ID policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Feio View Post
    What the actual fuck are you talking about? First of all, I don't see how your hatred towards GC fits into that post. You just randomly made one single developer responsible for a so called trend of "lazy and incompetent game development". Also, how are nerfs a sign of incompetence and laziness of developers? I just don't get it.

On a side note, you realize that people are harrasing/stalking game developers irl and they also don't refrain from sending out death-threats. And you do realize that you are kinda shifting the blame on the victims here. Without any valid arguments.
    Re-read it, spells it out pretty simply!

Blizzards WoW is biggest main stream MMO in the genre as such basically sets the standards for the industry, Ghostcrawler lead developer of WoW ushered in the "toss crap out there and see what sticks then remove what doesn't later our customer base be dammed" style of programing that is now emulated throughout the industry.

A nerf is a failure of the developer to foresee the impact of changes he/she makes even though said developer should have thoroughly tested those changes prior to release on a live server. Therefore a nerf is either due to laziness or incompetence!

It is now done so much they we have become accustomed to nerfs being part of the games we play when they never ever should have been.

When a developer punishes their entire customer base for their own mistakes, and treats them with a shut up and deal with it attitude, particularly when the customers are paying monthly for it and or have a significant amount of their time invested in, it is naturally going to breed resentment and anger.

I don't agree with harrasing/stalking game developers in real life but Developers are not the victims here, the customers are, developers are just getting as they give.

If they want it to stop the first step is no more nerfs, or at least only as a last resort and should be accompanied by a public explanation and apology when it has to happen, preferably from the CEO of the company.

You treat customers with dignity and respect you get happy, loyal , repeat customers, you treat them like a bunch insignificant cattle you get a stampeded, game developers are getting stampeded.
    Last edited by Cobaltius; 2013-08-20 at 01:15 PM.

*sigh* The anti-bullying culture is getting really rediculous. Trolls/bullies have been around as long as human beings have but I do not believe that the percentage of humans who would actually do something serious has increased. All it is is that the internet has given people a means to publicly vent their every thought. Who among us hasn't said to themselves something like "If that DJ plays that song one more time... I'm going to kill him!" ? Who among us actually seriously contemplated killing the person in question? Censorship isn't the answer. If you're not allowed to say things like that, it doesn't change how anyone actually feels. And if there is a psycho out there wanting to kill a game dev, whether or not he emails or posts about it is the least of our problems.
    Last edited by xinjun; 2013-08-20 at 01:22 PM.
    Normal is the name for the mental disorder present in the majority of humanity.
    Xinjun

Quote Originally Posted by xinjun View Post
    *sigh* The anti-bullying culture is getting really rediculous. Trolls/bullies have been around as long as human beings have but I do not believe that the percentage of humans who would actually do something serious has increased. All it is is that the internet has given people a means to publicly vent their every thought. Who among us hasn't said to themselves something like "If that DJ plays that song one more time... I'm going to kill him!" ? Who among us actually seriously contemplated killing the person in question? Censorship isn't the answer. If you're not allowed to say things like that, it doesn't change how anyone actually feels. And if there is a psycho out there wanting to kill a game dev, whether or not he emails or posts about it is the least of our problems.
    There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to make death threats to developers family as they have nothing at all to do with it, and i dont care if you need vent your problems or whatever. They are just patchetic to do it and they need some punishment so they learn that they are not untouchable behind the computer screen. Just because you are behind a computer screen does not meen you can say or do what you want. 99% dont have the balls to say anything to their faces but they can say what they want behind the screen, it's pathetic.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2013-08-20 at 01:32 PM.