Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    "They are claiming the 14 year old's parents blame the 18 year old for 'turning their daughter gay'."

Real winners all around in this case. Oh boy.
    Age differences of that sort can impair informed consent, but I do understand what you were getting at.

Honestly, if you are close enough in age that you're both going to the same high school, it shouldn't be against the law. Unfortunately, it is.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    How many 16 and 17 year olds know fully about the law to not have sex with their boyfriend/girlfriend when they're in high school together? Their straight friends are protected but not them. They're not breaking the law on purpose the law is failing them.
    A. Ignorance of the law is not a defence.

B. I certainly knew about it, shit I was taught that at school at the age of 14. Granted I live in the UK where sex-ed is mandatory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Age differences of that sort can impair informed consent, but I do understand what you were getting at.
    Yeah, I wasn't talking about consent so much as the notion of turning somebody gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kame Guru View Post
    A. Ignorance of the law is not a defence.

B. I certainly knew about it, shit I was taught that at school at the age of 14. Granted I live in the UK where sex-ed is mandatory.
    The fact of the matter is they are the victims of a bias to hetero relationships law. "ignorance of law is not a defense"

The defense to bring up the fact it's discrimination, the law is so stupid that many wouldn't even know about it in that age range and would assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't talking about consent so much as the notion of turning somebody gay.
    Well who knows without informed consent what her orientation really is.

I still don't understand how her parents can claim rape and then claim it was an orientation thing. It's kinda pathetically funny.

Age of consent laws in their current form are very flawed and stupid. That said, as long as they are in their flawed and stupid form, the same restrictions must apply to same sex relations as opposite sex. After all, they are the ones pushing to be treated equally under the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Honestly, if you are close enough in age that you're both going to the same high school, it shouldn't be against the law. Unfortunately, it is.
    Typically it isn't. Most states are 3 some are 4. Most states though do not protect gay couples. So whether it was 3 or 4 in this case it really wouldn't have mattered.

I get the feeling this more about the "victims" parents getting all shades of pissy over this - lets be blunt here, it's a criminal act, but at 14 I'd also expect the "victim" to understand the concept of consent & be in a position to either take part willingly or refuse to take part! (the notion that an average 14 year old is unable to make up their own damn mind is crazy & questionable at best) Thing is the article also points out, 17/18 year olds with 14 year old girlfriends isn't exactly "rare" and in 99.9% of cases it goes without any sort of action against it - that ofcourse doesn't make it right, but it's questionable if it's in the public interest to prosecute all cases.

Is there an element of homophobia in the case, potentially, but lets be fair, that's a subjective question - I could argue that my refusal to want to watch two guys having sex with each other is "homophobic" (which I'm guessing that most within the homosexual community would laugh at and say "dude, you can decide what you want to watch"). But it's an emotive subject in a world where for some strange reason homophobia is still existent and somewhat accepted because the sight of two guys/girls in a loving relationship is wrong because it offends some people.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

The parents of the 14 year old will soon enough realize that they've just destroyed their relationship with their daughter. Doubly so by not being accepting of her same-sex attraction.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    The fact of the matter is they are the victims of a bias to hetero relationships law. "ignorance of law is not a defense"

The defense to bring up the fact it's discrimination, the law is so stupid that many wouldn't even know about it in that age range and would assume.
    It still isn't a defence though, what is a could be used as a defence is that as you said; the law is biased and infringes upon their rights which would be given but due to different uncontrollable circumstances which have literally no effect on the act or the feels weren't.

It still isn't a defence though, what is a could be used as a defence is that as you said; the law is biased and infringes upon their rights which would be given but due to different uncontrollable circumstances which have literally no effect on the act or the feels weren't.
    I should bring up the fact that many states romeo and juliet laws are written very vaguely, they don't say gays aren't included, and they don't say only hetero couples. The laws though (except in about 5-6 states i think) protect only straight couples. So even if one were to fully read the laws you really wouldn't walk away with the knowledge that you can't have sex with your same sex bf/gf that's 2-3 years younger than you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Doubly so by not being accepting of her same-sex attraction.
    That is if you can believe the claims of the 18 year old's parents. Or, you know, it could be another stupid media spin to incite people. Which seems to be working.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    An 18 year old involved with a 14 year old, regardless of gender and or orientation is wrong, end of story. I just do not understand how people can be so totally OK with pedophilia.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    18 on 14 is creepy and she should be charged like any man would be.
    Plus the older woman plied the 14 year old girl with booze and also molested her in the school bathroom. They didn't wait until the older girl was over 18 to charge her, they had taken action numerous times prior to this incident via the police and the older woman's parents to keep the older woman from helping their daughter sneak out of the house after dark, get drunk, and run away.

This is not some idyllic romance, the older woman is a bad person just as an 18 yo man taking advantage of / seducing a 14 yo girl is. Trying to use the rainbow card to get out of jail free is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruncholyo View Post
    Plus the older woman plied the 14 year old girl with booze and also molested her in the school bathroom. They didn't wait until the older girl was over 18 to charge her, they had taken action numerous times prior to this incident via the police and the older woman's parents to keep the older woman from helping their daughter sneak out of the house after dark, get drunk, and run away.

This is not some idyllic romance, the older woman is a bad person just as an 18 yo man taking advantage of / seducing a 14 yo girl is. Trying to use the rainbow card to get out of jail free is wrong.
    Are you sure it was "molestation"

Deleted
    I should bring up the fact that many states romeo and juliet laws are written very vaguely, they don't say gays aren't included, and they don't say only hetero couples. The laws though (except in about 5-6 states i think) protect only straight couples. So even if one were to fully read the laws you really wouldn't walk away with the knowledge that you can't have sex with your same sex bf/gf that's 2-3 years younger than you.
    If the law is indifferent to gender and sexual orientation in wording/intent then it should be indifferent in application.

Considering informed consent went out the window it certainly wasn't sex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are 14 year old girls known for being able to hold their liquor? Is it acceptable for one to pick up a freshman, get them drunk, and have sex with them now?

If the law is indifferent to gender and sexual orientation in wording/intent then it should be indifferent in application.
    It isn't and has never been, except in states that added gay provisions.

Texas doesn't say that gays aren't protected but they aren't protected. Instead they are now lobbying to get gay protection equal to hetero teen relationships.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering informed consent went out the window it certainly wasn't sex.
    I ask because was this when she was 17 or 18?