15+ Year Old Account

Paragon using voidwalkers

Watching the Paragon 10 man heroic Garrosh kill video, I noticed that coming out of the first intermission both warlocks bring out their voidwalkers. Anyone know why?

Voidwalker shield proc does great damage - potentially the strongest pet because of that.

Also makes small add bursts a lot easier to manage I bet.

Warlocks using dem "clever" tactics to cheese more DPS(like 5% more IIRC)

I assume it's because of the reduced damage because they weren't geared for it like the rest of us would be. It's always cool to see what guilds fighting for world firsts do; stacking classes using weird items.

Quote Originally Posted by testsubjectzz View Post
    I assume it's because of the reduced damage because they weren't geared for it like the rest of us would be. It's always cool to see what guilds fighting for world firsts do; stacking classes using weird items.
    It's all about Void Shield damage. The ability benefits from Affliction Mastery and there's enough AoE to proc it often enough to enable it to do more damage than other pets.

Deleted
    For dmg, vw does nothing for dmg taken reduction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    It's all about Void Shield damage. The ability benefits from Affliction Mastery and there's enough AoE to proc it often enough to enable it to do more damage than other pets.
    It benefits? That makes voidwalker the best pet on all the fights there is constant aoe then? Thinking of thok here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sepharoth View Post
    It benefits? That makes voidwalker the best pet on all the fights there is constant aoe then? Thinking of thok here.
    Assuming that you're working on heroic Thok, it's not worth it to use the voidwalker over the imp at this point. The void AoE damage was nerfed early last week and the imp is invaluable during the poison phase, so thankfully the decision isn't that one sided any more.

Deleted
    You can always just soulburn an Imp out as you head into poison phase. I'm sure 1 soul shard is worth a few million damage.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderworldSoup View Post
    Assuming that you're working on heroic Thok, it's not worth it to use the voidwalker over the imp at this point. The void AoE damage was nerfed early last week and the imp is invaluable during the poison phase, so thankfully the decision isn't that one sided any more.
    What are you talking about? The VW damage is the same as it was before, friend downed it yesterday and VW shield still did insane damage compared to other pet choices.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderworldSoup View Post
    Yeah it was definitely not nerfed.
    If you really wanted to make an argument for the Imp it would be: "Imp provides more utility with AoE dispels while not sacrificing the damage you would otherwise need to kill the boss. You shouldn't rely on the VW shield to make up for low DPS."

Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    Yeah it was definitely not nerfed.
    If you really wanted to make an argument for the Imp it would be: "Imp provides more utility with AoE dispels while not sacrificing the damage you would otherwise need to kill the boss. You shouldn't rely on the VW shield to make up for low DPS."
    Can someone tell me exactly what they are doing with their Voidlords? Is it enough to keep him in any position or is it mandatory to keep them in front of the boss? Should any of the abilities be off Auto Cast?
    I know they do benefit from the warlock being Affliction more but is it such big of a difference between Affliction and Destro in terms of VL damage?

I'm doing Thok on normal atm and it's faceroll enough for me to not change specs so I only test it as destro and I can say I'm not impressed. Most of the high parses on Thok don't have VL's so I didn't bother finding one to see just how big the damage is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    Can someone tell me exactly what they are doing with their Voidlords? Is it enough to keep him in any position or is it mandatory to keep them in front of the boss? Should any of the abilities be off Auto Cast?
    I know they do benefit from the warlock being Affliction more but is it such big of a difference between Affliction and Destro in terms of VL damage?

I'm doing Thok on normal atm and it's faceroll enough for me to not change specs so I only test it as destro and I can say I'm not impressed. Most of the high parses on Thok don't have VL's so I didn't bother finding one to see just how big the damage is.
    You put him in front of the boss to reflect the breath damage, you also use soul link so the transferred aoe damage procs the shield. Its essential you are affliction, the reason VL does so much damage is because of the the fact that void shield is being amplified by affliction mastery. Destro does nothing for it, you're better off with the imp for destro.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadinar View Post
    You put him in front of the boss to reflect the breath damage
    I don´t get this part. How does the VL reflect the breath damage? afaik there are voidshield, suffering and torment or am I missing something?

Deleted
    You dont need to position him in front. The roar is physical and procs the shield via soul link. I had about 15 pulls on thok hc progress and after the first phase was over the shield itself accounted for close to 4m of my 45m damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    today's hotfix prooobably confirms that soul link's the main source for voidlords to expend as many shield charges as possible (for max dps)

Deleted
    Yeah. Fixed!