Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    What do you mean how to deal with it? DEAL WITH IT!
    While crude, this is basically right. I suffered from depression, but you just rise above it. Going to therapy is a waste of time and money, and medication just ignores the problem. Nobody likes hearing it, but depression is of your own making, so the only one that can fix it is you. Whether by finding other things to focus on, or simply hardening up and ignoring it, you still have to do it yourself. Relying on others to fix or help with your problems will just make you more prone to getting depressed again when their crutch is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Naw I'm in an assholic mood. People need to have some common sense.
    1) If you're in an "assholic" mood - I suggest venting it somewhere else than on depressed people. My suggestion would be playing Grand Theft Auto. :P

2) What you perceive as "common sense" is not the same to others, as not everybody's brain is wired the same way. For example, my above statement of "Going to vent somewhere else instead of yelling at innocent people" is considered "Common Sense" to me. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    You should go see a psychiatrist, so you can determine fi what you have situational or clinical depression. Clinical will require medicine to fix, and i dont recomend doing what the 2 idiots above said and take street drugs since everyone is different.

Deleted
    The reason I'm going to the internet is because of the "brutal" honesty.. people behind the computer doesn't care and that makes them say their Honest opinion.. I don't trust psychiatrists because of what some of the people close to me has been through and the help they've been getting. Honesty and hard truths are the best help from my own experience.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get drunk, go clubbing get some girls, bang them and depression should be gone by then or go to the gym. Nothing beats a good workout.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crye View Post
    The reason I'm going to the internet is because of the "brutal" honesty.. people behind the computer doesn't care and that makes them say their Honest opinion.. I don't trust psychiatrists because of what some of the people close to me has been through and the help they've been getting. Honesty and hard truths are the best help from my own experience.
    My mother also had a really bad experience. That didnt mean she didnt want me to go get help. They are the best at determineing what kind you have. Situational, yeah you can "man up" on it eventually, but clinical is a brain chemistry problem. If you get told bad advice, report them to their medical license board and change. I can tell you right now, that seeing someone was the best thing that's happened to me because i can now function at a fairly normal level.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    1) If you're in an "assholic" mood - I suggest venting it somewhere else than on depressed people. My suggestion would be playing Grand Theft Auto. :P

2) What you perceive as "common sense" is not the same to others, as not everybody's brain is wired the same way. For example, my above statement of "Going to vent somewhere else instead of yelling at innocent people" is considered "Common Sense" to me. :P
    Naw we just seriously get threads like this every month or so for shit that is common sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depression and common sense don't often go hand in hand. I found that one out the hard way. One often needs outside help to see it. If you have not been extremely depressed, you do not know what you are talking about. Or are we talking about different kind of depression here? I'm talking about clinical depression, not something like being very bored.
    Last edited by Santti; 2013-08-20 at 08:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    As somebody who suffers from bouts of Depression myself, I can honestly say that after all the Doctors and stuff a long time ago - the key is to simply get your mind back to believing you're in control of your life/world/environment.
    Depends what kind of depression we're talking. Bouts of depression occasionally, because you're just bored, yeah, go outside and do something.

Clinical depression, you need medications.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    While crude, this is basically right. I suffered from depression, but you just rise above it. Going to therapy is a waste of time and money, and medication just ignores the problem. Nobody likes hearing it, but depression is of your own making, so the only one that can fix it is you. Whether by finding other things to focus on, or simply hardening up and ignoring it, you still have to do it yourself. Relying on others to fix or help with your problems will just make you more prone to getting depressed again when their crutch is gone.
    Again, if it is clinical depression, you need medications to fix it. There's no "just get up" when you suffer from actual depression, that's not an option. It's like asking a person without legs to walk.

Of course, I do not have sufficient information to say for sure what kind of depression it is OP suffers from.
    Last edited by Tzalix; 2013-08-20 at 08:16 PM.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

You should also have your Vitamin D levels tested, lack of Vitamin D can easily lead to depression.
    "You disgust me"- Grandma

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Depression and common sense don't often go hand in hand. I found that one out the hard way. One often needs outside help to see it. If you have not been extremely depressed, you do not know what you are talking about.
    Yup - though I will pass Rucken the one thing I believe he's wanting to say - but doesn't for fear of mod-action (my appologies if it's not the case).

And that there's 2 kinds of posters - people who are seriously depressed posting to find alternative ways to fix their condition, and those who come onto forums SAYING they're depressed but are really just wanting some attention. The second kind are VERY annoying indeed...

Having dealt with depression myself in the past, I feel I can usually spot the difference between the two. This guy? Honestly he's 50/50 to me - but given the condition I'm giving him/her/it the benefit of the doubt.

Also, saying STRAIGHT laced advice as opposed to useless things like "cheer up! You're worth it! Don't be down... you're a nice person!" make it easier to post. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepysnik View Post
    You should also have your Vitamin D levels tested, lack of Vitamin D can easily lead to depression.
    This. It's also why "getting some sun" is therapeutic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    What do you mean how to deal with it? DEAL WITH IT!
    If your solution is "deal with it" then I would ask you to turn off whatever it is that you're using to post on these forums and throw it into the nearest body of water.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Hard drugs mixed with alcohol is all you need.

It's normal to feel depressed at your age, it'll pass.
    "It'll pass" isn't that useful. At least, I'm sure the guy from high school that killed himself wouldn't have found it that useful.
    Naw we just seriously get threads like this every month or so for shit that is common sense.
    Funny, I would think that somebody who sees this a lot would be smarter about dealing with it. Recommend that they see a psychiatrist and a counselor. Don't be a dick about it. If you get pissed because you see it every month than you might have a problem.

Like Santti said, depression isn't really conducive for rational thinking. Yes, turning to a forum is the wrong move. Telling him to "see a fucking doctor" only exacerbates the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    This. It's also why "getting some sun" is therapeutic.
    yep, SAD is a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would firstly recommend taking up some sports. Secondly, sit down with your parents and talk about your problems - it's amazing how disclosing your issues with others helps. I was in a similar situation to you during my first year at university, because I got hit pretty hard with all that needed to be done, whereas high school was a walk in the park. Third: simply remember your favorite things!

P.S. Drugs are a last resort; do not resort to them unless you have an actual disorder and by this I do not mean something concocted by the pharm. industry (i.e. trembling hand syndrome). These drugs have serious adverse effects, so please take caution!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    If your solution is "deal with it" then I would ask you to turn off whatever it is that you're using to post on these forums and throw it into the nearest body of water.

Actually "deal with it" is rather good advice. If something is wrong, and you know something is wrong, you need to deal with it. Call a damn doctor. Going to MMOC or looking at articles in Men's health is not good enough. So how do you deal with it? You bloody deal with it. You handle it.

hmm I guess "deal with it" could also mean just tolerate it until it passes. I didn't take that post in that context though.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Actually "deal with it" is rather good advice. If something is wrong, and you know something is wrong, you need to deal with it. Call a damn doctor. Going to MMOC or looking at articles in Men's health is not good enough. So how do you deal with it? You bloody deal with it. You handle it.
    Calling a doctor is more specific than "just deal with it." Most of the time "deal with it" means "get over it."

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    yep, SAD is a thing.
    It's why I get cranky in Winter.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    It's why I get cranky in Winter.
    Well fuck I need some snow so I have an excuse.

Actually fuck snow.

The mind is not independent of the body. Exercise, eat right, sleep consistently (how much is less important than doing it at a consistent time).