Thread: Is Prot "slow"?

Is Prot "slow"?

I played Prot as my main all through Wrath and was a pretty good tank on my server. I loved tanking and the challenges that came with it. I would say I was well above average in skill. Today, years later, I am just now dusting off the warrior (been playing holy pally as my main) for action and the gameplay just seems slow overall. Granted I am only in heroic ilvl gear, but it just feels so different. The change in shielding is cool and I like that active mitigation aspect. Could it be that my gear is the culprit? Am I just misremembering the gameplay from Wrath?

This is not a complaint thread because it is what it is. I'm at the point though that I will continue to try and gear him or work on another tank character. Could my issue be gear related or is that just how the spec plays? In comparison I have a Blood DK that just seems to flow better and the gameplay feels quicker and more fluid. Same with monks.

Please don't take this as a flame I seriously am just interested to hear some opinions on the matter and my issue.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What makes my poor Prot Warrior feel sluggish as all hell compared to my Blood DK or my Prot Paladin is the 1.5s GCD vs the 1s GCD on the DK and the haste shortened GCD on my Paladin.

It isn't that I have GCD's with nothing to push, it's that it feels like it takes forever to actually USE those GCD's compared to DK/Paladin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Love my warrior. I initially did completely hate the change to active mitigation, but I've grown accustomed to it. As far as slow game play, it depends on playstyle and gear. As you get more expertise, your shield slams and revenges will hit more consistently and your rage generation will increase, giving a more satisfying experience. Of course this does rely on using the proper "rotation", but there are guides to see if you're doing things correctly. Or you just may find it slow. I recently began tanking on my monk and I have to say that if you like a demanding spec that keeps you on your toes, look into Brewmaster. It's intense.
    Look! Words!

That was my fear that it was a GCD issue and that I had either forgot or gotten so used to a 1s GCD on my monk while leveling him. Are DK's and monks the only tanks that have a 1s GCD? Is there a push to change all to 1GCD? If not, why...? Seems like it would make it feel more up to date with the changes they've made to most specs ive played in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricks View Post
    That was my fear that it was a GCD issue and that I had either forgot or gotten so used to a 1s GCD on my monk while leveling him. Are DK's and monks the only tanks that have a 1s GCD? Is there a push to change all to 1GCD? If not, why...? Seems like it would make it feel more up to date with the changes they've made to most specs ive played in the game.
    I don't know, really. It may be a balancing issue, but prot warriors are really the only tank that have a spammable, no-cooldown ability that they are consistently mashing in their rotation (devastate). It might make the spec feel like too button mashy like a combat rogue with high haste. Monks do have jab, but they also have so many other things to hit as well.
    Look! Words!

Try playing a Prot Paladin with no haste. So Boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    Try playing a Prot Paladin with no haste. So Boring.
    Well that's why you play them with haste :P

also 1.5 gcd for Warrior is agony.
    Hi Sephurik