Thread: Replacing PSU

Replacing PSU

I need to replace my PSU. The computer is from IBP and I can either ship the computer to get it replaced or have them send me the part and get it done myself. I'd rather not be without a computer for 3-5 weeks and I'd also have pay the shipping to get it there. I've got a friend who is more than qualified to do it, but he's not always available. Does anyone have any idea (average price range) what a local computer repair business would charge to change out the PSU in a computer? In the last case when I had a problem with the computer, I had the part sent to me and had him replace it for the same reason - not having to pay the shipping price. I'd rather buy a friend dinner or or a couple drinks than giving it out for shipping.

Deleted
    Were I live it's about 700 SEK thats about 110 US dollar or 80 euro. But then everything here in sweden is expensive as hell : /

Goodness, I certainly hope it's not the same here. I would hope it's under or around $40-$50 US here for something like that which would probably take maybe a half hour. $110 for that would be crazy IMO

You could probably try and do it yourself, it's not a complicated process and it would have you learning things which can come in handy. Anyways I guess his estimate was with the PSU price included, as most shops only replace things if you buy the replacement off them to begin with. (plus scandinavian prices are crazy )
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Like you said, I could give it a try, I'd just be worried about not getting all the wires attached back to where they originally were.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    You could probably try and do it yourself, it's not a complicated process and it would have you learning things which can come in handy. Anyways I guess his estimate was with the PSU price included, as most shops only replace things if you buy the replacement off them to begin with. (plus scandinavian prices are crazy )
    Nope, no psu included. If you wanted a psu as well you would have to atleast dubble that price ^^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lbueno View Post
    Like you said, I could give it a try, I'd just be worried about not getting all the wires attached back to where they originally were.
    I really think you should try it yourself. Newegg has some really good how to videos on youtube if you feel brave xD

If you don't, it simply won't power up. Just remember to discharge any static energy you have on you before doing the job and also don't do anything on a carpet.

I'd recommend going for this one or if you want it a bit easier with cable management to go with this one which is modular.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Well, since the computer is still under warranty and the parts are covered, I just get a replacement. The PSU is a Corsair CX750 - So they'll just send me another one.