Poll: Weakest WoW Expansion

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Cataclysm, because deathwing fight wasn't a good fight at all. He posed a larger threat in the world than when we actually fight him. Everything else was acceptable, not great, but not that bad. I actually liked BWD, because it was kind of a 'choose your fight to progress' type of thing, rather than a single trail to a brick wall of progression. And drakonids. And little (chromaggus') adds.

BC

So many of Vanilla's problems weren't really solved, or came about late in the expansion.

Class design still poor, but better. PvE still saw "pure DPS" classes far ahead of "hybrids." PvP was awfully imbalanced, still is to many people.

Gear itemization at max level got better, but useless/near-useless stats were still present on several pieces. Low-level quest rewards were unchanged.

Raiding as a whole was more accessible in BC due to the presence of a single 10-man raid at the start of the expansion, with a second one coming later. T5/6 equivalent gear was available late in the expansion and made it easier to gear alts or replacement players, but small guilds still couldn't see most of what was available without merging, pugging, or forming a raid coalition, which turned sour in some, probably many cases.

Worst to Best (not including MoP because it isn't finished)
    Cata - Wotlk - TBC

Cataclysm hands down was the worst. I loved the start of cata. T11 was amazing and the return of hard heroics were welcomed with open arms by me. But then everything got dumbed down, FL felt like half a raid, and DS was just a disaster. The game boiled down to teleporting everywhere or sitting in Org/SW. I just felt bored the vast majority of the time.

Wrath was OK. It made all specs viable which I loved. 3D Sarth (during T7 before you could WTF ZERG it), Ulduar, and ICC (still have fond memories of hc PP and hc LK) were all good . But I still won't forget what a shock it was first doing heroics and raiding Naxx. The ridiculous ease was disheartening. It also introduced Dalaran (LAG CITY), Wintergrasp (LAG PVP), and Isle/Strand (Ugh...). And lest we forget the raid tier that rivals DS for worst all time... ToC.

Edit: forgot to mention 1 full year of ICC. The boredom!!!

TBC is still my fav. I know it had it's problems but throughout the entirety of WoW, it was my favorite journey. Maybe it was because I was still somewhat new or the lack of info on the internet, but it was the most fun I had playing WoW. I know some people hated it and I understand why. I had a blast though.
    Last edited by Fagatronics; 2013-08-22 at 12:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    You're full of shit honey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    You should have no expectations for the next expansion IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by Khiyone View Post
    Not that I recall. I remember everyone hating on WotLK in Cata. Now. . . not so much.

The Golden Rule of Expansions: two expansions ago = DA best
    Me and you must have different experiences because apart from ICC lasting too long I remember a LOT of rage about the lack of top level content and the near destruction of 25 mans

Cataclysm, even though I loved the 1-60 and 84-90 questing.

I think MoP is better than BC. The fact people vote against MoP and not BC is certainly because BC has both the nostalgia effect and had the feel of discovery. WoW was still "new" at that time. Yet overall, MoP was amazing, only an inch behind Wotlk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mop.

Had more fun in Cata even

I voted for WotLK. This is a personal opinion, don't forget, and the reason I voted that way is because I only play WoW for the raiding and I didn't enjoy WotLK raiding very much. tier 7 was a disaster with rehash, ruined naxxramas. Tier 8 Ulduar was wonderful, but Tier 9 was the worst raiding tier ever and Tier 10 was middle of the road at best. Ulduar might be the best raid ever, but the expansion featured the worst and 2nd worst raiding tiers so I just have to give it the weakest vote.

Probably Cataclysm, but it started going downhill with WotLK - so WotLK got my vote!

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I'll agree with this, Deepholm was the best of the Cata zones by a mile. The look, the story, it was all simply better than anything else the expansion offered. Vash is pretty, but unfinished, and the storyline sort of just ... ends. Uldum was a letdown after all the years of wondering exactly WHAT would be there. Twilight Highlands had some interesting phasing in the beginning, but after that it's just filler content, and Hyjal just needed to be a lot better.

I thought FL was actually pretty good, easily the highlight raid of the expansion, though I realize that's a minority opinion. DS was a letdown of epic proportions. TB was just not a fun bg in the slightest. 1-60 revamp was good in some spots (Badlands and Silverpine being particularly good), but also made every zone questing on rails, which is just terrible for alt rolling. Starter 5 mans were really good. Troll 5's were decent, but far too much emphasis was put on them. The DS 5 mans told their stories well enough, but were fairly a pushover. (across the board though, they're all miles ahead of MoP 5's). Chaos orb implementation was an absolute trainwreck of game design.

Bottom line is that despite a few positives, the expansion did a lot more wrong than it did right, more so than any other expansion. Which is why it's the logical choice.
    I liked the new zones in Cata, leveling the first time around was really fun. Unfortunately most of the max level content sucked and there was a grand total of maybe three really good raid bosses, followed by the worst expac endboss ever.

I voted Cata. I really enjoyed both WotLK and BC, it is hard for me to pick a favorite because there were so many things I liked about each expac. I didn't play MoP - I'd like level just to see the new lore, but it's not worth the money now, I'd have to pay for the game, 30 days, and a transfer to PvE because screw leveling without a flying mount on PvP this late in the game... so I will probably never play it, unless I buy it to access the next expansion because I'm dying to play it... I'm pretty sure I would rank it below BC and WotLK no matter what because the story would not interest me as much, but I can't say whether I'd like it more than Cata.
    Last edited by rebecca191; 2013-08-22 at 03:16 AM.

I've been banned more times than I can count for saying pandaland will virtually end wow and at risk of another forced "vacation" I'll say it again, childish pandas and watered down content have driven older players away.

BC by today's standards would be bad. But nothing beats the 10 month 8 boss raid tier with horrible bosses and an ending filled with plot holes.

I would have said Cata a few months ago but at least Cata held my interest. MoP is the first time i have unsubscribed.

I find it hard to compare really. I mean I can loosely say:

Wrath > MoP > Cata

But how do you compare Vanilla and TBC? They're so much more primitive, the later games innovated so much that that overrides any intrinsic merit they had. For example, Cata is undeniably a better game than TBC, just in terms of gameplay and sophistication, whatever you might think of the plot etc.

Although frankly TBC is vastly overrated in the plot department - yes it featured cool things from the RTS, but turning KT, Vashj and Illidan into mad jerks we have to kill was so boneheaded, and the rest of the Outland lore was pulled out of nowhere. Not that TBC was terrible, when I went through the Dark Portal it was amazing - TBC was certainly a mighty step up from Vanilla and there's lots of cool things about it. But Wrath was a big step up from TBC, and the other expansions have been that much better as well. Yes, including Cata.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cataclysm by far.

As much as I love Neltharion and his fall to becoming Deathwing, it was introduced far better in lore books than in Cataclysm.

Damned shame.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

MOP is the worst one i assume. IMHO of course.

Tons of useless dailies, easy 5 mans, uninteresting raids at all..

Cata had great revamp of old world, i had so many emotions to level again..they'd better renew old world every expansion that giving us new continents out of their heads..

BC was for sure best one, it was forcing to social aspect of the game, it was a must for a group to be friendly and cooperative, since otherwise the run wont be succesful, even normal 5-man..it was great to gather group up by yourself, you had friends on the server, got excited about every run with them. And there were not a problem with classes and specs as everyone assume...no one on Scarshield legion demanded CC from my elemental shaman, many peoply knew my skill and were asking to run with them regardless of class skills..that was great feeling..LFG killed this, no one even talk currently..

Echoes of Lordaeron, Scarshield Legion. Nasok draenei elemental shaman. 70 lvl.

I am not playing currently and won't resub till 3 things be done to the game:
    1. Attunements to raid and heroic instances.
    2. Hard heroic instances for all, challenge mode is option. People must learn to be skilled not burn through content on hello kitty island
    3. Kill LFG button, this is the baddiest thing ever made for MMO..the main thing is COLLECTIVE playing..

Everyone who played BC remembers Mechanar i assume...easy for normal groups and was very good for daily heroic to farm badges, fast one. I tryed it at lvl 70 with a group of people who were overgearing me because of yellow account-wide items. Dont need to say that i was the only survivor on the fight with pyromant boss? I was laughing at these kitties..they even did not found out why they were dead every time fight starts..had to kill it alone with a tank who also played BC..
    Last edited by Nasok1986; 2013-08-22 at 06:25 AM. Reason: adding some things

Vanilla...!

Cataclysm it is. It started out well with the first tier of raiding, excellent stuff. Then we had Firelands, far too small a raid for 6 months farming. Then Blizzard follows up a small raid with yet another small raid in Dragon Souls that also had the most boring/underwhelming/ridiculous end boss in the history of WoW (not the mention the entire zone was almost 100% entirely reskinned garbage). You can probably blame the implementation of LFR for the lack of content tbh.

TBC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MoP>Wrath>Cata>Vanilla. From a 100% raiding PoV.

Cataclysm probably had the weakest content overall, I feel like it started strong but it started going downhill from 4.1 and onward. The ZG rehash was pretty cool, ZA was pretty lame... 4.2 had Abyssal Maw scrapped for some reason (them wanting 1 theme for the raid is bullshit) and DS was one of the worst raids in a while. You can call me nostalgic but I did enjoy pugging ToC alot more then DS, it might have been an arena but the boss fights (few as they were) were more fun. 4.3 did bring transmog though which was pretty cool, but if we look at all the stuff the other expansions brought us... The selling point of the expansion was a rehashed 1-60, they did and awesome job there but other then that... Mounts were also pretty weak, glad mounts were armored drakes... DS mounts were slightly remodeled drakes,... Firelands mounts were really just reskins (although they do look cool), only the first tier awarded with unique mounts.

It wasn't all bad though, cata did bring the best questing experience up to that point and the new 1-60 were super fun and had pretty good lore, rather then the old kill 10 bears because w/e. And I really enjoy the BGs it brought aswell (alot more then IoC and SotA).

Was all set and ready to vote Cataclysm but then gave it some thought.

Cataclysm did make 1-60 a lot better, 1-60 is now actually kind of fun. It also had an interesting story with Cho'gall and the Firelands. Deathwing was pretty bad ass, well up untill they actually released that terrible DS raid, I think that raid is why the expac left such a horrible taste in everyone's mouth. Though 80-85 wasn't that good either.

So instead I voted for MoP, it's mostly a personal thing though.
    I dislike the asian theme and everything that comes with it, it's just not my cup of tea.
    I do like the new BGs and ToT was pretty good, I also like some of the scenarios.
    But if I wasn't pestered to come back by an old friend to tank I would've skipped this expansion completly.

The weird thing is, Cata had a lot of great things going for it.

Its really just the broken up zones, how friggin long we were stuck with DS, and some rather silly end-game fights that soured it...