Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Thumbs down Moving to a bigger server = buyer's remorse?

I decided to not wait for connected realms to happen and transfer some of my characters from a really, really dead realm to a pretty populated one. The previous server I came from was (and still is) in pretty dire straits. Things like world boss groups and any sort of organized PvP/raiding just doesn't happen. The community is a quaint little niche that seems more interested in pet battles and dailies. If you wanted to pug you almost had to use OpenRaid exclusively.

I transferred to this new realm alone, to hopefully sink my teeth into raiding. It was really surreal at first. Not being used to the constant pugging, guild advertisements and busy cities. Just the hustle and bustle of an active server. Hell yeah, it was like I transferred back in time! Unfortunately I didn't realize (right away, at least) the inflated population came with the inflated number of assbags and shitty people.

I've only been on this server 2 weeks or so, but I've had so many bad experiences that have happened completely unprovoked. A couple days ago I was tinkering with my UI in Shrine when I was approached by someone that I /greeted and /cheered at. It was met with instant hostility, and the guy asked me how much I paid for my challenge mode carry. I laughed to myself, didn't reply and just threw him on ignore. He decided to take it a step further; make an alt, and keep berating me. Thank god for account-wide ignore!

A day after that I decided to do some 2's for conquest points. I understand looking in trade is almost like shooting yourself in the foot but hey, it's not the end of the world if we lose. I'm not the best arena guy (~2k Ret Paladin) but I couldn't understand how hostile people were getting at our first loss. I would have to cycle through partners because they would get so mad after a loss I'd be kicked off the team during a loading screen. To add insult to injury, they would throw me on ignore and just have a go. Not a big deal, another couple ignores.

Tonight again I sat in Shrine minding my own business. Apparently I had an old PvE title on (I think it was Magic Seeker?) I get this random whisper from some guy asking where I got it. As I'm typing my reply he just starts railing on me calling me some fat, kissless virgin. I shift clicked his name and we weren't even in the same faction city. Why go to that extent? Why go out of your way to be an asshole?

I shit you not, as I started typing this post out some random warlock started throwing expletives at me and telling me I was a scrub who "didn't deserve the armor I was wearing." He went on to say how wrong my glyphs were, and that I was just bad. Again, completely unprovoked and not even tabbed in.

I have a couple other stories, but to a lesser degree. I had someone put me on ignore because I didn't have the profession pattern he wanted, and I was declined a ToES normal for being "over hit cap" at 530ilvl. It just seems like this server radiates elitism and passive aggressiveness.

It almost feels like I'm exaggerating these claims, and I wish I was. I know I've been on a tiny realm for so long I've been shielded by most of this bad attitude. Where I come from though, shit like this basically gets you blacklisted.. but just on a smaller scale.

So basically tl;dr I've had a bunch of bad experiences on a bigger realm, and I'm almost considering going somewhere else or just transferring back. I realize you can't avoid assholes anywhere you go, but have you guys ever had to deal with such abhorrent behavior?

Deleted
    I rerolled on two different high population realms: Eu-Dun Modr and Eu-Silvermoon (both, alliance side). And I have never experienced anything like you described.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you meet an asshole who tries to troll you, just answer with. yes,no and ok... it works great, had one yesterday who tried to troll me or make a fool of me, i've answered as stupid as he asked... and then he turned friendly, odd thing

But what realm do you play on? never had those experience ever, i've played on Sylvanas and Kazzak Eu for most of my time in wow i'm currently at twisting nether now... for me it sounds you meet the scums of the scums...

Erh. Is your name "LoLiOwnUAll" or something like that?
    Sounds incredible bad compared to anything i've experienced, or heard about from others i know.
    Is asshats on every server, but i guess you've been unlucky. I never tried to do arena with random people, but know several others that has, without hearing about any of them having those issues.
    I can't remember last time i got an unprovoked negative comment anywhere. I do talk a lot so sometimes people comment back on that in a more or less polite manner, but even then it's mostly the nice kind.
    Might be it's just that server that is incredible bad personality wise, and you took the wrong choice about transferring to it. Don't really get why you did this right before the virtual realms though.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

I played on Stormscale EU during MoP launch and was in a top 3 guild on the server and I played on EU draenor in a top guild and I never had any of that ever on any server. Are you unguilded? Maybe thats why people rage a lot seeing a high ilvl char with no guild or something like that I honestly have no idea.

I've been on a high pop realm for a very very long time and very rarely experience anything like this.

there's always some 'cool' server to be. in TBC it was stormscale, I guess these days in europe it's Kazzak?
    Either way, the worst idiots obviously can't do anything on small realms as they are known there pretty fast and can't do anything any more on their realm. so they have to move and then go to the high pop servers. I guess that explains a very high concentration of douchebags on these realms. certainly getting that feeling whenever I am in an openraid group on kazzak or outland.

I play on US-Stormrage and have had the complete opposite happen. I went from a med pop craphole that was all dirt bags to a high pop shrine full of good pugs and even better raiding guilds.

uhm..nope Silvermoon EU is pretty strongly knitted toghter as far as I can see, there is always going to be a-holes on ANY server, it might be more but..also..sadly blacklist don't work to well unless you keep track of the guy..which I do think is against the USER Agreement. or something like that.

i have never been on a server which instantly I got insulted on..at all.

As for the people you apprently met. note this:they probly can't do what you could. simple.
    Big servers are sort of like a big city, compared to smaller servers whos..well like towns.

Deleted
    I'm sorry but this feels made up and if not, it feels as if you left out parts of the story

Being on a busy realm myself, I have never seen like this except for the PvP rage kids that think they can have 100% winrate

Good post. We moved our guild from a dying server, Korialstrasz-US (alliance) to Cenarius-US (alliance) and have been very happy here If you are looking for a new home, feel free to message me!
    Last edited by IsoLovesYou; 2013-08-18 at 09:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have got 7 90s on a smaller realm (5k population according to wowprogress) and 1 90 on a bigger one (15k), so I can compare it...

I have never seen such a behavior like you describe. Either you are very unlucky to encounter a**holes, or it's the server. The only negative thing about high-pop server I have found so far is a higher number of people who leave after first wipe in raid. On my smaller realm, people don't leave until RL calls it or they have to go, which is like 15 wipes into instance. On this bigger? You wipe once on jin'rokh and half a raid leaves. No excuse, just leave.

I understand this can be a little bit frustrating, but the best thing I recommend to you is to keep putting those people on ignore list. Eventually, you will start to encounter less and less douchebags

I went to a large server for a short while on the EU side.

Same story there, its like a whole server full of wankers (with a few exceptions that somehow slipped through the cracks) It pays to make a toon on the sever you are going to first to see what the atmosphere is like. Some servers have decent communities, the one I went to wasn't one of them :P

My old server was pretty bad for elitism and trolling. The elitism had it's benefits by having most pugs be a higher quality than others and the trolling kept things interesting, especially between guilds. But after a while the elitist attitude was adopted by people who couldn't find their way out of a paper bag and the trolling just became repetitive with the typical copypaste trade chat spam.

I got tired of it and moved myself to lower population servers, the experience between people was greatly improved but the options you have are greatly decreased, as I'm sure you're well aware. It all comes down to what you're willing to put up with, a higher population and with it some toxic players, or a smaller population with nothing much going on. To me it all comes down to what you want out of the game at the time, if I was playing casually I would definitely choose a smaller realm, vice versa for if I was playing hardcore.

I'd recommend sticking it out for a while longer, maybe you just got hit with a bad string of luck. If it persists try switching back after you see what your old realm connected with and see if there's anything there that catches your eye.
    Last edited by Rushro; 2013-08-18 at 09:52 AM.

too many silent tryhard assholes on eu silvermoon. took warlock tome & whatever profit i made from that server and left

As I read this I'm kinda quietly laughing to myself because it seems made up and ridiculous. To drive my point home a bit harder, I don't have a stupid name, I keep to myself, and pretty much stay out of trade chat. I'm just not a fan of people who openly offer criticism when I don't ask or even know them.

edit: I play on US Mannoroth for what it's worth. I transferred and faction changed from Perenolde Horde. I just thought I'd clarify since I'm seeing a lot of EU atm.
    Last edited by Wuc; 2013-08-18 at 09:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been on EU outland for 3 years now, and NEVER had anything like you.
    And if most of the times if you get anyone who is being rude towards something you got then that most of the time means he is very jelly.

Infact on Outland if you have CM or Anything 'hardcore' you are respected alot.

But then again, I don't know Silvermoon, i don't know if they are a rude server like Kazzak x)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Deleted
    Some people will pretty much try to degrade any sort of prestige you achieve on your character. I still get people implying that I must have facerolled my way to Gladiator as a Rogue in s2 on an almost daily basis when all I'm doing is standing in the AH. If it's not because of titles or possibly transmog or anything like that then I'm not sure what it is.

i've got the same problem, on my server horde side has 600 ppl en ally side only 250.
    I am willing to transfer, but it'll cost me a shitload to transfer all my 90s over to another server, so this is no option for me...
    if only blizz would make transfer free, i'd be really really happy, though i dont think that will ever happen

Deleted
    Never had anything like that.
    But then, I'm in a guild and run stuff either with guildies (raids, CMs, arena, rbgs) or with oQueue (mostly world bosses and rbgs) and I've turned my trade chat off.. I can't remember last time a stranger whispered to me.. your experiences seem very extreme.