Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What tanks are looking to be good next patch?

Going to get back into raiding this upcoming patch and will be tanking.. I have all tanking classes but wondering what i should be playing as a main tank.

I enjoy playing all so i just want to know what would be the best choice and why.

Thx!

10+ Year Old Account
    Monk and Paladin remain as strong as ever (paladin gets knocked down a couple pegs).

Bear doesn't look great, but relatively better. DKs are probably fine, too.

Warriors are having fairly severe threat and defense problems right now IIRC.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

All of them. Brewmaster and Pally probably still king of the hill, DKs seem alright, Druids seem to be fairly good as well (health buff should put them over 1m HP), Warriors maybe not so much but they are getting a buff so time will tell. Play whichever you are the are most competent with and what synergizes well with the other tank you will be running with (e.g. if your other tank is a Brewmaster, don't go Druid)

Deleted
    Monks, Paladins & Warriors are looking strong. Don't know about druids or DKs

and by really strong I mean Paladins and monks both got nerfed but are still more than okay.

Druid, paladin or monk. Aaaa and DK maybe. Or even warrior.

Stupid question. You are casual player (it suggests the question), so it doesn't matter what you choose. On that lvl each tank is the same. Play what you like or one which has highest ilvl.

Deleted
    Monk is going to continue to be the best tankg. Paladin and warrior are also very solid options, both recieved buffs.

It seems the star of this expansion was and will be the Paladin with the Monk close behind. I haven't tested my monk on the PTR but doing some 10man SoO, the paladin remains pretty much unchanged apart from various small nerfs/changed.

TBH, I would go Monk if I was you. You can always fill a DPS role with almost the same gear/gems and due to the fact that Monk tanks benefit from crit/haste, your dps will also be competitive. But take what I write with a grain of salt since I haven't tested my monk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prot Paladins are looking to stay pretty strong even with some nerfs on the way. Warriors are looking to be doing some mad DPS and with the tier bonus they are finally getting some nice self healing. Brewmasters also staying strong.

Imo, it's going to look like Prot Pala/Brewmaster > Warrior > DK/Guardian

As we get further into T16, I reckon we may see Warriors becoming a fairly strong tanking option.
    <Judge> Alonsus-EU. 6/8M Uldir
    Prot Paladin
    RECRUITING FOR BFA!

Quote Originally Posted by dzidek View Post
    Stupid question. You are casual player (it suggests the question), so it doesn't matter what you choose. On that lvl each tank is the same. Play what you like or one which has highest ilvl.
    so you think being able to drop 1 tank and pick up another dps or healer as it was the case in many ToT encounters doesn't help casual guilds?

I'll never understand this "oh you aren't going for world first so it doesn't matter what you bring"
    some classes depending on patch do simply make it easier for everyone regardless of the level they are playing at

Quote Originally Posted by ViridianCC View Post
    Warriors are having fairly severe threat and defense problems right now IIRC.
    Not really, no. Warriors are going to be pretty good next tier, IMO right up there with paladins. Damage was buffed a lot and we get so much more rage now that you can spam out shield barrier like never before. Going to be a good patch for warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Monk is going to continue to be the best tankg. Paladin and warrior are also very solid options, both recieved buffs.
    Monks continue to be best?

Is this a continue relative to earlier 5.4 ptr? Because all I see is paladin paladin paladin with monks holding a solid second place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

What buffs did we receive? All I can find is:

Crusader Strike now applies a Weakened Blows effect to the target for Protection Paladins.
    and

Grand Crusader no longer has a chance to activate from Crusader Strike and Hammer of the Righteous, but now has a 30% chance to activate when dodging or parrying a melee attack (up from 12%).
    Which is a nerf to haste but a buff in fights with a lot of adds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    Which is a nerf to haste but a buff in fights with a lot of adds.
    The GC buff is a significant buff. On the fights with adds, GC is gonna be completely overpowered to the limit of being broken. It is also a buff to haste, since more haste = shorter GCD = more GC procs.
    We are also recieving a quite substantional buff to EF which is gonna skyrocket our self HPS.
    SS and T6 talents GCD is not properly scaling with haste.

In my opinion the GC and EF buffs outweighs the BH and SS nerfs.

The GC buff is a significant buff. On the fights with adds, GC is gonna be completely overpowered to the limit of being broken. It is also a buff to haste, since more haste = shorter GCD = more GC procs.
    We are also recieving a quite substantional buff to EF which is gonna skyrocket our self HPS.
    SS and T6 talents GCD is not properly scaling with haste.

In my opinion the GC and EF buffs outweighs the BH and SS nerfs.
    Are there many fights with a lot of adds in SoO? I haven't seen any of them (well except Garrosh and that loot bag called Immersius (w/e it's called)).

But yeah, they made BH 99% useless, I know for sure I'll never touch it again. Sacred Shield was nerfed but mobs hit harder too (which means more vengeance, even with the vengeance nerf) so I don't know.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget 2 changes when looking at tanking and SOO

1) can't do the bop trick to take off debuffs
    2) Many of the boss debuffs are now going to be avoidable!

Looking at those 2 things makes me grin as a prot war that will be going Hit+expcap > Parry>dodge>mastery for 5.4! I will get 75% of that avoidance as crit and will have a good chance to avoid debuffs and no bop trick means I will probably get to tank all the fights > swapping to shitty dps spec while our prot palla gets to have all the fun!

Deleted
    I would say in T16 it doesn't matter that much which tank you will pick. They're all pretty close to each other damage and mitigation (I consider healing and absorb as mitigation though it is not) wise. BrM will probably be best and warrior = paladin. Guardians will be damn good in few fights. DK's are little bit behind everyone else, but especially if your not in super HC guild it doesn't matter.

Play what you find fun, if you find it fun you are probably going to play better and make less mistakes as well as not burning out as quickly, unless you are going to be pushing heroic modes very early on class doesn't matter that much and then its mostly on a fight by fight situation anyway.
    Last edited by yeryerdude; 2013-08-22 at 05:06 AM.

There's some real ignorance in this thread in regards to Bear tanks and thier stam buff, tier 16 bonuses, and barkskin changes....your losses....

Quote Originally Posted by morph757 View Post
    There's some real ignorance in this thread in regards to Bear tanks and thier stam buff, tier 16 bonuses, and barkskin changes....your losses....
    Agreed, Guardians may be the real surprise in this tier. We were already taking less damage than any other tank class on average; now we're getting a stam buff and a substantial amount of self-healing added to our toolkit to offset our weaknesses. Of course, it doesn't completely solve the fact that our only method of dealing with spike is healing it back afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by morph757 View Post
    So set them right with reasoned logic. Don't just post a stupid one liner. It is a discussion forum afterall.