Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Question on getting to 60 without "assistance"

By assistance I mean the Patron status or store-bought XP vials. Bots don't count because I'm certain none exist that are reliable for leveling in Rift.

Assume that you play a few days a week, and play between 1-2 hours on each of those days. Roughly how long would it take you to get to Level 60 by using that time-frame?

I'm curious because I still like Rift; it's not a bad game (for a WoW-esque clone). I just a) don't always like to sit for hours playing, and b) think I went overboard spending money on 0s and 1s from the in-game store.

Quote Originally Posted by ShasVa View Post

it's not a bad game (for a WoW-esque clone).
    How generous of you

In all seriousness, my style of play is fairly similar. I may get an hour or two of game time a night. My character is now in the mid-40's and I get a little over 1 level a night now. Granted I am a patron so I have the 40% xp buff, but I also take my time and explore things/read quest text, etc. That would lead me to believe you could get about a level a day (maybe more if you really just plow through IAs/quests/etc.).

The experience curve steepens pretty sharply (or at least it did) once you hit 50, though.

Maybe about 2 weeks I guess? Or around 10-12 days.

You won't likely gain a level an hour. Perhaps 1-2 hours a night gets about 75% of the way to the next level if you rush through stuff like a madman. So about a level every day and a half on a 1-2 hour schedule.

The bigger problem is once you get to 60, there is a lot progressive gearing to do and rep to gain.

Rift SL just takes a long time compared to old Rift.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The bigger problem is once you get to 60, there is a lot progressive gearing to do and rep to gain.

Rift SL just takes a long time compared to old Rift.
    Sounds like maybe I shouldn't bother playing the game again. There's effort, and then there is needless grinding. Shame I don't have the funds to finance a character from 0-60 as fast as possible.

Sounds like maybe I shouldn't bother playing the game again. There's effort, and then there is needless grinding. Shame I don't have the funds to finance a character from 0-60 as fast as possible.
    I hit 55 last night. I hit 54 the night before. I played a couple of hours each night, no XP vials or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I hit 55 last night. I hit 54 the night before. I played a couple of hours each night, no XP vials or anything.
    Sorry, exactly "how" much time did you spend during "that night" in terms of hours?

I've leveled 3 characters... with the use of 100% xp boosts + also weekend event boosts and the grind is particularly bad from 40~50 and from 55~60.

For people not in any rush, the game is fine to level - when you're rushing, it's very frustratingly grindy.

I really like Rift, but there is no denying it is excessively grindy lately.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-08-22 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Sorry, exactly "how" much time did you spend during "that night" in terms of hours?
    2.5 hours tops, each night. Did some quests, did some PvP, breezed right through it. 50-51 is the absolute worst IMO.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just play till it's not fun any more. Simple.

No point going "It may stop being fun later so I won't bother" really. Once you get bored, stop playing. Maybe come back later, maybe don't come back at all. Seeing as the game is "free" (ie you don't have to spend money at all if you don't want to) you lose nothing by just going halfway then moving on if it's not for you.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

2.5 hours tops, each night. Did some quests, did some PvP, breezed right through it. 50-51 is the absolute worst IMO.
    You haven't hit the absolute worst yet if you're only 55. You are getting close to hitting the worst though. 55-60 is horrible, especially after 57. Downright dreadful IMO.

I leveled 50-60 without patron status or xp vials and it's doable without too much trouble as long as you remember port to a major city before logging out to get rested xp and you make sure to so every "kill so many of this mob" carnage quests that pop up when you kill a random mob.

Remember to get the Porticullums to both Cape Jule and Pelladane. so that when you finish the Cape Jule quests go to Pelladane and finish all those quests (or vice versa) before moving to the 52-5x zone. It won't be superfast that way but you'll still have good xp quests as you make that final leg from 59-60

Quote Originally Posted by DerRot View Post
    I leveled 50-60 without patron status or xp vials and it's doable without too much trouble as long as you remember port to a major city before logging out to get rested xp and you make sure to so every "kill so many of this mob" carnage quests that pop up when you kill a random mob.

Remember to get the Porticullums to both Cape Jule and Pelladane. so that when you finish the Cape Jule quests go to Pelladane and finish all those quests (or vice versa) before moving to the 52-5x zone. It won't be superfast that way but you'll still have good xp quests as you make that final leg from 59-60
    These are great tips. Another thing I thought about that I should have mentioned sooner. There is a great addon called questfinder. If you get it, when you think you are done with a zone you can type /qfind and it will tell you any of the quests that you missed, including Carnages. If you do it before you move to the next zone, you're doing it a closer to level appropriate, therefore getting more XP out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    These are great tips. Another thing I thought about that I should have mentioned sooner. There is a great addon called questfinder. If you get it, when you think you are done with a zone you can type /qfind and it will tell you any of the quests that you missed, including Carnages.
    Oh really? Sweet, I need that. I'm 3 quests shy of getting the 52/52 Cape Jule, and at least 1 of them is a Carnage Quest(18/19 for achievement there) that I somehow missed despite killing basically EVERYTHING I came across.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have reinstalled Rift. I'm just considering what to do next.

I am considering subbing to Rift. Not sure what monthly option to choose yet though; I'm cautious about what I spend on this type of entertainment. On the bright side, if I did unsub for any reason I know I could still play the game, unlike WoW where you cannot. What, if anything, is disabled for Rift F2P?

I'm also considering starting over. It shouldn't be a problem really. Thanks to my purchase of Storm Legion I have that cool Cyclone mount, and access to all souls, so I'm pretty right. Couple that with the Patron benefits I would get, and I should be golden.

Oh really? Sweet, I need that. I'm 3 quests shy of getting the 52/52 Cape Jule, and at least 1 of them is a Carnage Quest(18/19 for achievement there) that I somehow missed despite killing basically EVERYTHING I came across.
    In some zones, there are carnages to kill one particular named mob that is off in some really out of the way place. There is also at least one in Cape Jule, perhaps other zones as well, that you need to kill Zone Event mobs for.

- - - Updated - - -

I have reinstalled Rift. I'm just considering what to do next.

I am considering subbing to Rift. Not sure what monthly option to choose yet though; I'm cautious about what I spend on this type of entertainment. On the bright side, if I did unsub for any reason I know I could still play the game, unlike WoW where you cannot. What, if anything, is disabled for Rift F2P?

I'm also considering starting over. It shouldn't be a problem really. Thanks to my purchase of Storm Legion I have that cool Cyclone mount, and access to all souls, so I'm pretty right. Couple that with the Patron benefits I would get, and I should be golden.
    There is no sub. There is Patron Status. All you really get is boosts. You get more currency of all types except raid, bonus XP, summonable Banker, Guild Banker and Trainer, some free currencies daily, +10% mount speed, favor and PvP rep gain boosts, 10% off on all other store purchases, priority que when shards are full, boost to rep gains and some loyalty which gives rewards every so often.

It's nice, but not that nice. Not worth the money IMO. You can still do everything in the game, they exact same way as when it was sub based, without spending a dime.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    A user named "theWocky" posted something that spoke to me in another topic titled "Item shop in rift". He said...

Patron is currently a waste of money in my opinion. 40% xp, rep & pvp buff? big deal.
    150% xp/rep boost? Now we're talking.
    All you "need" from the F2P shop (if you haven't got it) are the extra bag slots and if you're interested in maxing out one character, then all the professions too (I've done this on my cleric - all 9 professions)- also perhaps the 150% mount.
    He made a good argument, I reckon, for not taking the Patron status. I'm now not convinced that it is beneficial, given the low boost and the cost of the status itself.

Fortunately my Mage from a former play is Level 30, so I'm half way already. I'm currently just having fun nuking stuff with her Ele/Pyro/Harb roles.

Fortunately my Mage from a former play is Level 30, so I'm half way already. I'm currently just having fun nuking stuff with her Ele/Pyro/Harb roles.
    30 is not really halfway just because it is half of 60. 50 is more like the halfway point in terms of how long it takes and amount of XP needed.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    30 is not really halfway just because it is half of 60. 50 is more like the halfway point in terms of how long it takes and amount of XP needed.
    Do you suggest on saving any potential buying of XP vials/Patron status for the 50-60 range, and leaving 1-50 "unassisted"?

Do you suggest on saving any potential buying of XP vials/Patron status for the 50-60 range, and leaving 1-50 "unassisted"?
    Well, that depends on if you get patron status or not. If you get patron, just use them, they recharge every day and you lose them all as soon as you lose patron. If you have other ones, yeah, I'd save them for 55+. Especially 57-58+ gets really really slow. Also, if you have any notoriety vials, save those for 60 and rep grinding as well. That's just what I'd do though. 1-50 is quick and easy, even without vials. I also leveled 50-60 without vials, pre-F2P, and currently have a mage at 55 that I am not using vials on and doing just fine.

Definitely save all bonuses to leveling and currency gains for post-50. Maybe even post-52.

One can level 1-50 in like /played 24 hours without having to be a zombie. Vanilla Rift leveling was/is FAST unassisted.