Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The difference is WoW is dropping a lot of subs even though it's not the end of a expansion. 10+ months of the same raid would be horrible, especially with all the new MMOs coming out soon. The Elder Scrolls already have an insane amount of fans in the world, a lot of them also playing WoW. Blizzard need to release something around the release, just like they normally do when other MMOs are being released.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rioo View Post
    The difference is WoW is dropping a lot of subs even though it's not the end of a expansion. 10+ months of the same raid would be horrible, especially with all the new MMOs coming out soon. The Elder Scrolls already have an insane amount of fans in the world, a lot of them also playing WoW. Blizzard need to release something around the release, just like they normally do when other MMOs are being released.
    ESO is due out Spring 2014 so Blizzard would have to work their asses off the beat that release...

Destiny out the end of this year with Wildstar soon after too...

10+ Year Old Account
    elder scrolls online will be pretty massive and i don't see how blizz could counteract it.

depending on the gameplay of Grand Theft Auto online, could also have an impact on wows sub base.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Ummmm... no they did not.

EDIT: In fact, not only did they not say that about ICC - they probably based it off of ICC, because it was then the game went a full year without any major content patches and still hit the 12 million subscriber mark. (only patches during that time was the Ruby Sanctum (quickly forgotten) and the Cataclysm pre-patch.)
    Three months prior to 4.3 Tom Chilton said, in an interview reported on gameinformer.com; "Traditionally we've only been able to do an expansion about every two years. We're really hoping to make a meaningful difference in that." which certainly implies that they did not intend for DS and Cata to last as long as it did.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...on-timing.aspx

I seem to remember that they made similar claims that they intended to speed up the release of expansions during Wrath but since migrating to the Battlenet site it is difficult to find old Blizzard posts.

Deleted
    A bit off topic but i don't care much for ESO cause of the dumbing down of that series, and that's even worse than whats happening in wow over the years :/
    But i guess they need to speed it up to stay competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    We're looking at the 1st raid tier with the expectation to last us a full year! Even DS lasted 10 months. And the original announcement was made before the expansions final patch was released. Gamescom did not announce anything

New expansion looks like it's gonna be announced at Blizzcon which is 3 months away too...so...who's up for 12 or more months of killing Garrosh!
    Oh stop. Blizzard is more than likely already working on the alpha version of the expansion and will launch the beta soon after Blizzcon putting the next expanson on target for a spring 2014 release. There is ZERO indication their plans for 18 month development cycles for expansions has changed. Stop with the fear mongering and misinformation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    You can always just stop doing SoO. Just sayin'.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure the next expansion will be coming out next fall. Which would be the fastest they ever came around with a new xpac. Pretty acceptable if you ask me.
    When are people going to comprehend Blizzard shortened their development cycles? No the next expansion won't be coming out next fall any more than Mop was supposed to be released last christmas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Quote deployed.

Didn't ICC last like. A billion years?
    Ever think to consider ICC is the reason Blizzard changed their development cycles? ICC isn't proof of anything other than Blizzard allowed themselves to get too bogged down and it cost them. They have most definitely learned from that mistake and won't be repeating it again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    ICC lasted 1 day short of a year. DS was 10 months. These sorts of things are expected.
    No they aren't. Blizzard has repeatedly said they DO NOT want this to happen again and the very fact patches in Mop have come out on time every time every 3-6 months shows Blizzard is doing more than just talking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nebria View Post
    in front of the summer holidays? don't think so. fall makes more sense. (5.4 is also coming in fall, it is the same pattern always)
    Newsflash: not everyone is a college kid who arbitrarily spends 24/7 outside simply because it is warmer. Many people do this thing called "work" and can't go running off for weeks/months at a time leaving more than ample time for gaming. As far as expansions coming out in fall "like always", no. Blizzard has never set some schedule where Wow expasnions are meant to come out in the fall. They are released when they are ready and Blizzard isn't going to allow tier 16 to last more than a year simply to hit this imagined fall schedule. "Same pattern always" was broken in at least a dozen different ways with Mop so really just stop.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    No they aren't. Blizzard has repeatedly said they DO NOT want this to happen again and the very fact patches in Mop have come out on time every time every 3-6 months shows Blizzard is doing more than just talking.
    Remember when they said they were going to pump out faster patches in Cata too ?

Believe the actions, not the words... that being said... they've been a bit better with patches in MoP... so I'm inclined to hope that even *if* we're waiting a good long while before the next expac, we won't be sitting in boredom. Blizzard knows better then anyone that the longer people sit at endgame with no endgame... the more likely they are to unsub... and its MUCH harder to attract new customers then it is to retain/regain current ones.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    How about we stop the fake internet rage, wait for some kind of details and stop making knee jerk decisions to post every irrational fear and nerd rage on the forums?
    You mean details like Blizzard saying they want to release expansions every 18 months instead of every 24? We have been told this repeatedly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I expect it to be in spring, to outcompete both Wildstar and TESO. Would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Blizzcon will be in 2 months not 3.

Blizzard can easily pull this off, Beta right a week after blizzcon enough time to get another 5.5 out there, and then a little after 2014 the new expansion can begin.
    Also people need to consider the fact that Blizzard has significantly increased the size of the Wow team and this was prior to their decision to revamp Titan and temporarily move those devs and artists to other Blizzard games including Wow. There is no chance in hell the expansion is coming out any later than early summer and again it needs to be restated Blizzard has been able to get patches out faster like they said they wanted to do which just speaks to the fact that Blizzard has made some big changes behind the scenes in regards to how they develop. Like I said Blizzard is doing more than just talking.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a feeling that next expansion will be released in spring on 2014, maybe early summer. I don't think Blizzard wants another "1 year without content"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    You mean details like Blizzard saying they want to release expansions every 18 months instead of every 24? We have been told this repeatedly.
    Yes, you have told us repeatedly during Cataclysm:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e#post16543971
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e#post17271133
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e#post15896826
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e#post15999954

And how long did Cataclysm last? 18 months? Nope.. 21

Quote Originally Posted by JustStampi View Post
    I wouldn't be too surprised to see beta testing start soon after Blizzcon. I expect a release in next spring. Blizz repeatedly said they want to roll out new expansions faster, and I have yet to be convinced otherwise.

Summary of interviews posted on the frontpage yesterday.
    Are you joking? They flat out straight up said there WILL be a 5.5. How on earth does that translate into there won't be a 5.5? I'm sorry but a lot of this nonsense is borderline trolling at this point when people blatantly ignore everything posted on this site. I don't believe for a second any of you are actually this ignorant.

My hopeful guess is between May and early July. Since that's the timeframe between D3 and SCII's release. If they can release those games around that time. Why not a WoW expansion?

Would be nice if they mixed it up and opted out of the fall releases.
    Uh...you realize they can release games on any day of any month of the year right? Where are people getting this idea they can only release games on certain days/months?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    didnt wotlk come december?
    Pretty much every expansion of this game has released in a different month so it really is baffling how people can say they "always" release expansions at a certain time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Except Elder Scrolls is being published by EA. That should be your indicator that it will be rushed, buggy and then forgotten about regardless of whether Bethesda wants a good game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Guessing the next xpac will launch May 5th. That puts it just at about 8 months after 5.4

- - - Updated - - -

Not true. Cataclysm released December 7th.
    This crow tastes good. I missed that one. Okay every game - 1 expansion.

I agree. I don't wanna see something terrible happen. But who know's how many of us are actually loyal to the series?
    It's a video game. There is nothing to be "loyal" to. Play if you find it fun, quit and do something else if you aren't having fun. It's just that simple.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    elder scrolls online will be pretty massive and i don't see how blizz could counteract it.
    ESO has the advantage of an equally as massive lore and history as Wow, its also got a massive fanbase due to the fact the series has been around for over 20 years. i myself started playing Elder Scrolls at Daggerfall and have played every one of them since.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Except Elder Scrolls is being published by EA. That should be your indicator that it will be rushed, buggy and then forgotten about regardless of whether Bethesda wants a good game.
    EA doesnt ALWAYS release trash although its equally as guilty as Activision in putting cash before gaming, agreed. I played Secret World and that had loads of good stuff in it but the clunky character control really let it down. I guess thats an example of the 'rushed' ur talking about.

Dont forget that Bethesda themselves didnt start the ESO project, that was farmed out to another company. Bethesda put all their guys on Skyrim and then Dishonored and theyve only recently moved onto the ESO project. Hopefully their VERY high standards will shape the game properly... but that remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    Dont forget that Bethesda themselves didnt start the ESO project, that was farmed out to another company. Bethesda put all their guys on Skyrim and then Dishonored and theyve only recently moved onto the ESO project. Hopefully their VERY high standards will shape the game properly...
    Bethesda is known for extreme bugginess of release versions and months of patching to make the games usable... I'm betting TESO will have the most memorable and hilarious launch of any MMORPG ever.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Bethesda is known for extreme bugginess of release versions and months of patching to make the games usable... I'm betting TESO will have the most memorable and hilarious launch of any MMORPG ever.
    Except it's not Bethesda working on TESO <.< It's Zenimax

Yeah, I'm really concerned about the timeline of the expansion at the moment. These have been the fastest patch cycles ever, and yet this is nearing the longest time to announce the next expansion ever, I don't get it. I guess it's possible they could come up on stage at BlizzCon, announce the game, then say they're inviting people to the beta that very moment. Even then, unless there's a really good 5.5, it still seems like we'll be hanging on to the fastest expansion for a really long time, which is just unfortunate. It kinda defeats the purpose of putting things out faster if you have to take a huge break.