Gearing a character for WPvP?

I'd like to get feedback from the community on what's the PVP/PVE gear mix to optimize a character (In my case, my Rogue) for WPvP.

- Full PvP I miss about 130k hps to the enemy characters I want to fight with
    - I have a hard time figuring out the advantages of the PVE Tier sets over PvP power.

At the moment I'm thinking Full PVE gear with PVP weapon and trinkets but haven't seen some math evidence that it is the right choice.
    Many thanks guys!

Deleted
    HC Pve is the way to go

Deleted
    Anyone got any advice on someone just turning 90, who wants to go into PvP. Is it best to just do BG's and be god awful, and get honor gear or do dungeons?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mattrugbymad7 View Post
    Anyone got any advice on someone just turning 90, who wants to go into PvP. Is it best to just do BG's and be god awful, and get honor gear or do dungeons?
    What I usually do (if this is possible with the class you are playing) is queue for dungeons as tank or healer an farm JP which you can then convert into Honor.

OT: The stats higher end PvE gear has outweigh the PvP power you get from PvP gear by quite a large margin in world PvP. In instanced PvP it gets scaled down so PvP gear will be more preferable, but not in world PvP.

Deleted
    Thanks for the reply Ziktus.

I've been away from the game for a while until last month. I really feel out of it, can't remember anything!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziktus View Post
    What I usually do (if this is possible with the class you are playing) is queue for dungeons as tank or healer an farm JP which you can then convert into Honor.

OT: The stats higher end PvE gear has outweigh the PvP power you get from PvP gear by quite a large margin in world PvP. In instanced PvP it gets scaled down so PvP gear will be more preferable, but not in world PvP.
    They will actually increase the conversion rate (2:! iirc), so it costs even more JP to get 250 honor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziktus View Post

Is this intended and will it be changing? If not wtf is the point in having PvP gear, and why would PvE'ers get access to better gear then PvP'ers? Seems strange to change the pvp power, was there problems with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    Is this intended and will it be changing? If not wtf is the point in having PvP gear, and why would PvE'ers get access to better gear then PvP'ers? Seems strange to change the pvp power, was there problems with it?
    It is intended and it will not be changing in 5.4 patch. However my prediction is that it won't last long as it is a mistake.

Easiest roote would be to "cheat" your way into LFR (by raising your item level) to get some basic gear and then just do arenas till you cap all your 20000-25000 conquest points.

On second thoughts losing in arena until you eventually drop your mmr THAT low and cap your whole 20000-25000 conquests points might be less time consuming.

PvP gear is welfare epics, why should it be the same iLvl as heroic raiding gear?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    PvP gear is welfare epics, why should it be the same iLvl as heroic raiding gear?
    Do you feel special killing scripted encounters?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to start world PvP, you should gear for 522 or higher PvE gear with the PvP trinket.

If you want to start instanced PvP, you should aim for 496 gear via arenas. You'll get wrecked trying to do so without gear though, so I suggest getting anything over 496 PvE gear. Don't waste your time grinding battlegrounds/random heroics. Do the barrens quest for 502 boots, heroic scenario once for the random 516 quest, and every day thereafter for chances at 516 gear, get mogu runes and then do Nalak / Oondasta for 522 gear and LFR for 502 gear, and valor cap for more 522 gear. Also potentially look into 502 craftable weapons and 496 craftable chest/gloves.

You'll probably get better returns losing many many arenas and eventually winning a few and getting 496s that way than you would by running dungeons/battlegrounds for honor gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    Do you feel special killing scripted encounters?
    Do you feel special winning 10 arena games a week and collecting your epics from a vendor?
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelleas View Post
    I'd like to get feedback from the community on what's the PVP/PVE gear mix to optimize a character (In my case, my Rogue) for WPvP.

- Full PvP I miss about 130k hps to the enemy characters I want to fight with
    - I have a hard time figuring out the advantages of the PVE Tier sets over PvP power.

At the moment I'm thinking Full PVE gear with PVP weapon and trinkets but haven't seen some math evidence that it is the right choice.
    Many thanks guys!
    Ok, lets go over this.

First, what item level are your top PvE pieces?

Second, what spec are you running?

I personally run either:

All my pve gear except my weaker pve trinket, which I replace with the medallion to break CCs.
    All my pve gear except the trinket and gloves.

Depending on your gear, other breakpoints might include gloves and shoulders to get the 2 piece, or even the 4 piece pvp- but the big question here is, DO YOU HAVE THE FOUR SET. Since you will have blades up for a lot of your world pvp experience, the 4 pieces is greatly magnified in power.

For maximum glory, get a tyrannical primal diamond- the legendary one I believe has a very low proc chance against players. But I haven't been watching to find out if it is against players, or in pvp zones.

- - - Updated - - -

Nyeh. It depends. I mean, raiders work much fucking harder for their gear, and it isn't guaranteed. Any heroic piece is much rarer than any conquest piece, and harder to get. What is hard about pvp is getting a good rating- you can get the gear as a derp, or as a pro, or anything in between. This isn't an accident or anything- Blizzard set it up that way on purpose.

But, why should EITHER of them have the golden key to world pvp? I mean, arena gear was clearly the top dog at that for a long time, to the point where I wouldn't go outside an instance without PvP gear on for fear of just dying inside a shockwave. But now, the opposite is true. Since my raid gear was actually hard to get, and my arena gear was much much much much simpler, I agree with their current setup. But, I don't think it logically follows any more than the old way did.

Do you feel special winning 10 arena games a week and collecting your epics from a vendor?
    no. But you seemed entitled to superior item level, not me.

no. But you seemed entitled to superior item level, not me.
    No, you're twisting things round. I asked you why you think gear that can be obtained by playing 10 arena games per week should be the same ilvl as heroic raiding gear. All you've done to answer that so far is try to insult me with typical PvPer response.

It's only world pvp that this happens and it's intended. They have issues balancing world pvp or even getting large portions of the population to partake in it on a regular basis. We'll see how things change with the Timeless Isle, as they are pushing for it there.

Um, easy to say "full PVE", but that means full BiS heroic raid gear. Unless you're already in a well progressed heroic raiding guild, forget it, just get PVP gear.

But seriously, "gearing for world PVP"? What planet are you on?

It's capped in BGs/Arena so PVP gear is better there, and nobody gives a shit about world PVP. If you're in full Conquest versus someone in full Heroic Thunderforged/whatever, it still comes more down to who gets the drop on who anyway. People make way too big a fuss about the gear.

The asshole ganking you is probably a Blood DK anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

No, you're twisting things round. I asked you why you think gear that can be obtained by playing 10 arena games per week should be the same ilvl as heroic raiding gear. All you've done to answer that so far is try to insult me with typical PvPer response.
    By mentioning 10 games per week do you suggest that it is easier or effortless?

By mentioning 10 games per week do you suggest that it is easier or effortless?
    Both.

10char

Both.

10char
    easier is relative to the difficulty of your opponents assuming you don't tank your MMR low on purpose.
    effortless is not really the PVPers fault - it's the design.
    either way they could bring back rating requirements if PVE people feel offended they have the same item level gear with PVPers.

Nevertheless heroic raiding is not rocket science either to look down on PVPers. It is just different.
    Last edited by Kreeshak; 2013-08-22 at 04:21 PM.