Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    It if it 100km west from london, you can turn back and its 100km to east now
    Not from your starting location. In the above, London is the point from which it goes east and west.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Because when I'm travelling -----> relative to the Prime Meridian as it appears on a map, I need something to call that direction for practical purposes.
    (I understand your point (i.e. the need for direction relative to current location)

Just curious if "Eastern" countries are closer to the east of prime meridian and "Western" countries are closer to be counted as west of prime meridian. Doesn't Greenwich count as "Western"?

Or does anyone refer to prime meridian as "Central"?

Deleted
    But i mean when we are talking about "western countries" etc
    Western countries are eastern countries to western countries and vice versa. USA is far east to my country but also far west, so take your pick.

15+ Year Old Account
    That does not make any sense. Since world is a sphere, any part of the world is as much "west" as it is "east". There are no objective "western world".
    London is considered the Prime Meridian, or the center of the world. Everything around that longitude and to the west of that is the western world. Everything to the east is eastern.

It's an arbitrary "center of the world" but if there wasn't a consensus on a relative center point, everyone would be using different ones and they'd all be confused.

It's called common point of reference, and really isn't that hard to understand.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

By the way, claiming that there's "no such thing" as East and West is about as practically useful as arguing that we shouldn't state that the Earth revolves around the sun, since that's also (technically) a matter of perspective.

Deleted
    World is not that flat map known as "world map". If you go to other hemisphere and make map out of that, america is suddenly east side of the map.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    By the way, claiming that there's "no such thing" as East and West is about as practically useful as arguing that we shouldn't state that the Earth revolves around the sun, since that's also (technically) a matter of perspective.
    Orbiting is a known mechanical phenomenon :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Agreed! Let's use Rimward and Hubward. Oh wait...

10+ Year Old Account
    World is not that flat map known as "world map". If you go to other hemisphere and make map out of that, america is suddenly east side of the map.
    You are conflating the geographical definitions of "east" and "west" with their cultural definitions.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Earth is a sphere, so there is no such thing as "west" or "east", also the other wind directions are non existent aswell.
    this is a little bit ignorant from you to say, but on the most part it's just plain uneducated and wrong. i'll give you a few facts. if the earth was a sphere that is completely still and there was no external "reference system" (a universe around us), you'd be right.

but:

1) the earth is rotating around an axis
    2) the earth is orbiting around the sun (and thus, moves through "space" inside our universe)
    3) we have a magnetical north and south pole

and even more:

4) we cartograph the world in 2D (mostly only the surface of the earth), so you automatically have 2 directions (cartesic coordinates)

so if you take all those facts, it should be clear why we have north, south, east and west.

western and eastern when in regards to countries refers to their position in relation to Greenwich Meridian.

15+ Year Old Account
    If one person's eastern hemisphere is someone else's western hemisphere, and one says west and the other thinks east, it's going to confuse a lot of people. Common point of reference. It helps everyone understand things much easier. It's not that hard of a concept.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Only thing that really makes sense is coordinates, you can create a grid around earth and give every grid a unique value. So you can say that I need to go to grid A534B345 for an example. But you cant say that we need to go "west" because "west" is all over the sphere.

Since you're probably being obtuse on purpose, I want to add another question that will blow your mind; what is north of the North Pole?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Only thing that really makes sense is coordinates, you can create a grid around earth and give every grid a unique value. So you can say that I need to go to grid A534B345 for an example. But you cant say that we need to go "west" because "west" is all over the sphere.
    West takes four characters to type as opposed to eight. Which is simpler when they accomplish basically the same function?

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Orbiting is a known mechanical phenomenon :P
    Ignoring other celestial bodies, both Earth and Sun revolve around their center of mass -which simply happens to be inside the sun-.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Since you're probably being obtuse on purpose, I want to add another question that will blow your mind; what is north of the North Pole?
    Which North Pole?

West is always west. "Let's go west" tells me exactly where I should go.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    "north" and "south" are concrete directions in a sphere. If you cross northpole, you can turn back to get to northpole again

Deleted
    West is always west. "Let's go west" tells me exactly where I should go.
    Its not. West is different direction for another guy on another side of the sphere.