1. #1

    10H Durumu questions

    Hey guys we are about to attempt Durumu this Friday. And I have a couple of questions about the encounter and I would really appreciate any tips.

    1) Will Ice Block and HoP safely remove Dark Parasite without getting adds? I heard Cloak and Divine Shield work, but not sure about these two.
    2) I heard some said you can redirect Dark Parasite with Zen Meditation. But I can't see how it, if it does, will make the fight easier. How do you guys think of it?
    3) I'm having dk and monk tank available for this fight, dk is much better geared. Which tank do you think is better for the fight? If I bring monk, what talent/glyph is recommended? By that I mainly mean lvl 75 talents, and whether or not to glyph Guard. I know his spike damage normally doesn't even trigger Dampen Harm on normal, but I'm not sure about heroics.

    Thank you very much!

  2. #2
    Keyboard Turner Naglol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7
    If you have a paladin you only need to have one tank, due to clemency, I'd have your DK go dps (if he can) for lots of damage on the icewalls.
    Dark Parasite can be close to negated by personal CD's and they have close to no HP, so they are easily handled, you really don't need to sweat the parasite.

    I would worry about killing Ice Walls during maze, and Ice Walls when beam is moving around what not, that is where most of your wipes will come from.

  3. #3
    Biggest issue for my raid when we were doing Durumu was properly handling the Life Drain. If you mess up and someone takes 5+ stacks, the boss will heal for 30million HPs or more. We pretty much ignored Dark Parasite. They died passively (random AoE damage) without ever being a major concern for healing.

    Depending on your comp, ice walls might be an issue. Got to focus them down quickly and be stacked up prior to them going out so you don't have your raid spread out. Also make sure you start in the right place when wall is lined up with the death beam - otherwise you'll be stuck in eye sores when they spawn instead of in a position to begin your run.

    Feel it out - but our group had the hardest time with life drains. Once we got that handled, he went down easily.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonleekungfu View Post
    Hey guys we are about to attempt Durumu this Friday. And I have a couple of questions about the encounter and I would really appreciate any tips.

    1) Will Ice Block and HoP safely remove Dark Parasite without getting adds? I heard Cloak and Divine Shield work, but not sure about these two.
    2) I heard some said you can redirect Dark Parasite with Zen Meditation. But I can't see how it, if it does, will make the fight easier. How do you guys think of it?
    3) I'm having dk and monk tank available for this fight, dk is much better geared. Which tank do you think is better for the fight? If I bring monk, what talent/glyph is recommended? By that I mainly mean lvl 75 talents, and whether or not to glyph Guard. I know his spike damage normally doesn't even trigger Dampen Harm on normal, but I'm not sure about heroics.

    Thank you very much!
    1. No. Cloak and bubble don't work either. I think what you heard was immuning the adds that come from dispelling Dark Parasite, which are not that dangerous. If you have a Shaman, you can Grounding Totem it if you place it at the right time and people are in range of it.
    2. If it gets redirected to the Monk, he can Diffuse it onto the boss (I think; we haven't actually done this). This would have to be timed properly like Grounding though.
    3. BrMs are awesome solo tanks. Huge vengeance and Keg Smash will help you clear walls. The monk will just do more damage too, unless your DK is gearing for tank DPS (not likely or advisable during progression). Just make sure he gets BoP'd on time. Don't glyph Guard; most of the damage is physical afaik. I'm pretty sure our BrM rolls Dampen Harm on this fight (and most fights).

  5. #5
    Warchief Radio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Straya Karnt
    Posts
    2,107
    Diffuse Magic / Grounding Totem are the only abilities that completely and utterly negate Dark Parasites, the rest of the immunity abilities just let you take the debuff for longer. We don't bother with Zen Med and just instead try to catch as many with grounding totem (monks kept out of the shamans raid group) as possible and all of the people other than monks in the non-shaman group have strong self cooldowns.

    As others said, Life Drain/Ice Walls tend to be the killer in this fight anyway, Dark Parasite is mostly just an annoyance.

  6. #6
    I'm fairly certain that our hunter used deterrence to avoid Dark Parasite, I assume that Ice Block and anything of the like will do the same (before the application obviously, otherwise it probably just functions as a dispel). Durumu picks a raid member and casts it at him without looking at immunities, that's why Grounding Totem works in the first place. I'm not sure if Ice Block is worth the DPS loss, but in theory you could put 5 people in a group with the Shaman and have the other group cast immunities/deflects whenever Dark Parasite is being cast, giving you a very high chance of no one being hit with it.

    If you can handle the Parasites, don't bother with it much. But since we have to two-tank and two-heal it, we rather have less parasites. Light Spectrum and adds at the same time are a ton to heal through when combined with the spiky damage of people running out of beams for Life Drains.

  7. #7
    If you're 10s, you could potentially try one-tank/one-healing it if your DPS can swing it. The boss will die right after the first maze during the walls/lights-spectrum phase. You'll still need an order for life drain, but we use either 3x3stacks or 4x2stacks (after the first person of course).

    Though this is a first kill for you, so playing it safe might be a better bet. Just play intelligently and deal with the new mechanics and it'll die eventually. (Likely during the second maze or shortly thereafter.)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    If you're 10s, you could potentially try one-tank/one-healing it if your DPS can swing it. The boss will die right after the first maze during the walls/lights-spectrum phase. You'll still need an order for life drain, but we use either 3x3stacks or 4x2stacks (after the first person of course).

    Though this is a first kill for you, so playing it safe might be a better bet. Just play intelligently and deal with the new mechanics and it'll die eventually. (Likely during the second maze or shortly thereafter.)
    That'll mean he'll die in about 5 1/2 minutes, which is pretty insane dps. We one tanked and killed it as the 2nd maze phase was coming up, and all our dps was about 160-170k

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr3nzy View Post
    That'll mean he'll die in about 5 1/2 minutes, which is pretty insane dps. We one tanked and killed it as the 2nd maze phase was coming up, and all our dps was about 160-170k
    What...? We 1tank/2heal and our kill was sub 5 mins this week, a 5:30 kill is not anywhere near insane lol

    On topic: Consider a shaman to drop grounding totems to absorb Parasites (totem has to be in range though)
    You can just heal through a parasite and dispel @ 7s left if it's too much healing required.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr3nzy View Post
    That'll mean he'll die in about 5 1/2 minutes, which is pretty insane dps. We one tanked and killed it as the 2nd maze phase was coming up, and all our dps was about 160-170k
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/i7tvl...?s=6529&e=6789 - 4:19 kill, we even two healed it. Our DPS isn't even that spectacular.

  11. #11
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    508
    We have always done it with 1 tank & 2 healers. Usually Drood or Monk tank. While healers is a setup of 2 of 4 healing classes (Resto Shammy, Mistweaver, Disc Priest & Hpala).

    Our fastest kill is 3:45. Our dps is from 200k and up.

    We tend to ignore the Dark Parasites from a dps point of view, might be DoT'ed by our SP / Lock or AoE'd by our tank when close to the boss. Our healers just heal as much as the debuff as they can usually.

    As many has said, Life Drain is the hardest of this fight. It helps if you pop some Deterrence, Disperse and the like, when soaking the Life Drain, as to reduce the healing Durumu receives. The hardest part in this fight is the 2nd Color Phase. Reason being, you get a Life Drain during the phase. If the boss is around 10% and you go into this phase, you can ignore the mechanic and just nuke boss dead.

    Also, bring an elemental shammy, makes the Ice Walls a joke due to Chain Lightning spam.

  12. #12
    In case you have a shaman, tell him/her to use grounding totem before Dark Parasite is applied to make Dark Parasite a nonfactor for the group that the shaman is in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •