Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Kill Command / Explosive Shot....Aimed Shot??

Maybe I misunderstand...but is marksman getting no love for pve? KC & ES are both rotation attacks...Aimed Shot only used on steady shot procs. Am I off base here?

Quote Originally Posted by blkgunz View Post
    Maybe I misunderstand...but is marksman getting no love for pve? KC & ES are both rotation attacks...Aimed Shot only used on steady shot procs. Am I off base here?
    I don't play MM, but far as I know, if you have enough haste you should hardcast Aimed Shot. I think at 1.4 sec cast time you should hardcard Aimed Shot for focus dumping.

Correct me if I am wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll aimed shot during CA and, with the new 4pc, you'll aimed shot after every instant aimed shot. Take that into context with the buffs.
    Last edited by Conjor; 2013-08-21 at 09:41 PM.

With the buffs to aimed shot and the 2pc T16 it also looks like it may be worth using aimed a lot more often. My initial sims are showing it being worth hardcasting if the speed is 1.5 sec or lower and with higher rapid fire uptime that'll be fairly frequent.

It's a pretty complicated situation. With Arcane and Aimed shot if one is better than the other it just phases it out completely. Since Aimed not only stops your auto shots but resets the shot timer you lose alot of damage hard casting it.

Sitting at 1.3 second cast time fully buffed on the ptr i'm actually getting a 20% dmg increase using Arcane over Aimed and from what i've seen the 2 piece benefits Arcane significantly more than Aimed mostly since it's only 4 seconds for marks and you can cast much more Arcane Shots than Aimed.

Also if you use Thrill of the Hunt you got a nice bonus with the 15% more arcane shot damage since with the 50% increased cast your average Arcane shot only costs 16.5 focus which is barely more than lives 16 arcane focus cost.

It's also much easier to keep chimera shots cast asap since you're draining your focus reserves casting aimed shot so much.
    Last edited by jwtelesio; 2013-08-21 at 09:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The marksman analog to KC and ES is Chimera Shot (instant, short cooldown, costs focus) not Aimed Shot (cast time, no cooldown)

It seems the devs don't want MM to be 2% higher than BM or Surv because then everyone will switch to MM. They have made multiple blue posts about this. The thing is MM has been like 7-10% behind the other specs forcing most to play those specs and that's ok with them? Even if MM was 2% ahead of BM who cares? That would be a closer gap than BM has over MM right now. The community seems to like the idea of MM being strong. The newer players and people that like BM can still play it because it's easier to play and they can still do good damage.

To bring MM up to par I would suggest a couple changes:

1. Make aimed shot no longer cancel our auto shot. This would allow us to cast more aimed shots and still get the benefit from our mastery.
    2. Buff steady shot. This would help sustained dps some without harming the pvp side too much.
    3. Change piercing shots so that it can stack 2-3 times. Something similar to how fire mages' ignite stacks.
    4. Chimera shot and aimed shot both feel a little low damage wise. I wish that blizzard could buff them significantly for pve and give them a reduced value for pvp similar to mage bombs. If not, any buff for Chimera shot would be very welcome. Removing the cancel auto shot from aimed shot would help there and it just got a small buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjeff View Post
    It seems the devs don't want MM to be 2% higher than BM or Surv because then everyone will switch to MM. They have made multiple blue posts about this. The thing is MM has been like 7-10% behind the other specs forcing most to play those specs and that's ok with them? Even if MM was 2% ahead of BM who cares? That would be a closer gap than BM has over MM right now. The community seems to like the idea of MM being strong. The newer players and people that like BM can still play it because it's easier to play and they can still do good damage.

To bring MM up to par I would suggest a couple changes:

1. Make aimed shot no longer cancel our auto shot. This would allow us to cast more aimed shots and still get the benefit from our mastery.
    2. Buff steady shot. This would help sustained dps some without harming the pvp side too much.
    3. Change piercing shots so that it can stack 2-3 times. Something similar to how fire mages' ignite stacks.
    4. Chimera shot and aimed shot both feel a little low damage wise. I wish that blizzard could buff them significantly for pve and give them a reduced value for pvp similar to mage bombs. If not, any buff for Chimera shot would be very welcome. Removing the cancel auto shot from aimed shot would help there and it just got a small buff.
    On the ptr i've got MM behind SV by around 16-18% just because of how similar they are and SV just pumping out more damaging versions.

10+ Year Old Account
    one thing I would like to see is careful aim to 80% then again when the boss is in execute range. would make for interesting game play but thats just a pipe dream

Quote Originally Posted by Redrun View Post
    one thing I would like to see is careful aim to 80% then again when the boss is in execute range. would make for interesting game play but thats just a pipe dream
    One of the best ideas that I have read on this forum. Seriously. That would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post
    They can balance MM through the bleeds, can our bleeds even crit? They should add that.

Aimed shot and Chim shot aren't gonna get buffed more as they currently destroy in pvp and you know their current way of tuning.

Perhaps they should also buff steady again.
    I think MM bleed is like warrior deep wounds bleed, dealing dmg % of your weapon dmg, so they don't crit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post
    They can balance MM through the bleeds, can our bleeds even crit? They should add that.

Aimed shot and Chim shot aren't gonna get buffed more as they currently destroy in pvp and you know their current way of tuning.

Perhaps they should also buff steady again.
    I think MM bleed is like warrior deep wounds bleed, dealing dmg % of your weapon dmg, so they don't crit, could have just been that way in the past though.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    I think MM bleed is like warrior deep wounds bleed, dealing dmg % of your weapon dmg, so they don't crit.

- - - Updated - - -

I think MM bleed is like warrior deep wounds bleed, dealing dmg % of your weapon dmg, so they don't crit, could have just been that way in the past though.

Piercing Shots already functions like Ignite. TBH they should just make it off all crit shots, then have mastery increase that damage instead of lolextrashots
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Do you think MM will even be able to compete with the other top ranged classes?

Quote Originally Posted by kazijan View Post
    Do you think MM will even be able to compete with the other top ranged classes?
    According to Blizzard it is more than viable. You must be doing something wrong, it's not their fault.

Seriously tho, most likely in 6.0, with the small hunter redesign. Hopefully.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    Piercing Shots already functions like Ignite. TBH they should just make it off all crit shots, then have mastery increase that damage instead of lolextrashots
    good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeherah View Post
    With the buffs to aimed shot and the 2pc T16 it also looks like it may be worth using aimed a lot more often. My initial sims are showing it being worth hardcasting if the speed is 1.5 sec or lower and with higher rapid fire uptime that'll be fairly frequent.
    they nerfed that are you taking that into account?

what kind of uptime on RF you seeing?

still dosnt make any sense that they didnt buff CS and just went into the route of buffing MM focus dump instead of main shot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    According to Blizzard it is more than viable. You must be doing something wrong, it's not their fault.

Seriously tho, most likely in 6.0, with the small hunter redesign. Hopefully.
    are you sure they will redesign the class?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Perrito View Post
    they nerfed that are you taking that into account?

what kind of uptime on RF you seeing?

still dosnt make any sense that they didnt buff CS and just went into the route of buffing MM focus dump instead of main shot.
    Just ask yourself this question and it will all become apparent: What spec will be the best in PvP in 5.4, and, what high-damage shot does that spec rarely cast in PvP situations?

Hint: MM and Aimed Shot. It's another attempt to buff PvE while not "touching" PvP too much (even though CS doesn't hit all that hard anyways).

Honestly, based on how often I am casting Aimed Shot on the PTR, it seems like an ok place to start the buffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    marksman wont be viable in 5.4. blizzard thinks buffing one shot that hits for less than kc and cost more focus will balance it out. not to mention the 4 set being weaker than the other 2 specs, and the 2 set that went from 12 secs to 4 secs. ( still gotta wonder how blizzard over shot that amount by so much but hey they will get it right soon, hopefully 6.0 ).

Quote Originally Posted by Kissthebaby View Post
    marksman wont be viable in 5.4. blizzard thinks buffing one shot that hits for less than kc and cost more focus will balance it out. not to mention the 4 set being weaker than the other 2 specs, and the 2 set that went from 12 secs to 4 secs. ( still gotta wonder how blizzard over shot that amount by so much but hey they will get it right soon, hopefully 6.0 ).
    4 seconds? Isn't it 8 second per arcane or aimed? Unless they nerfed it again, I'm pretty sure they nerfed it BY 4 second not TO 4 second.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coblade14 View Post
    4 seconds? Isn't it 8 second per arcane or aimed? Unless they nerfed it again, I'm pretty sure they nerfed it BY 4 second not TO 4 second.
    its 4 , im on ptr right now. sure it will be 3 in a couple days, then back to 2 what they had at the beginning.