Resto druid overheal

I couldn't find a simple answer to this question, but for 10m normal ToT, how much overheal is typically going to happen with an efficient resto druid? Typically we've been two healing the fights because ever since Primordius we haven't had a third. The two healers are a resto druid and a disc priest. Typically on fights like Meg the overhealing for the druid is around 20-30%, but otherwise it's anywhere from 45-55%. This is extraordinarily high, especially compared to the disc who usually only gets 10-25% overheal. I realize overheal is irrelevant unless mana is an issue generally speaking, but I'm still curious if the druid is doing anything incorrect. I don't have logs unfortunately, but generally the disc does around ~30% more healing than the druid with around 10 less ilevels. Basically I'm just very loosely asking if the druid is not playing optimally, or it's just a symptom of having a disc in the raid group.

Without logs to dig through it is difficult to say. I 3-heal with a shaman and monk, myself on a druid. That said, druids are notorioius for our overheals due to our HoTs. Once we place a HoT on someone, it ticks until gone, meaning if the target is brought up to full health prior to the HoTs expiring, they will simply overheal. Usual overheal culprits are Lifebloom, Rejuvenation, and Wild Growth. Mushrooms often overheal if they are used. Not to say that they others won't appear on the overhealing done, but these are usually the highest ones.

Something else to keep in mind is that disc priests are largely absorbs based. Power Word: Shield won't overheal because shields simply expire. With that said, if your priest is effective at shielding your raid, there is less damage going out for the druid to heal in the first place. On top of that, Atonement, though nerfed since the beginning of the expansion, remains a strong healing style for priests. Your priest can spam smite, holy fire, and penance on the boss and will smart heal your raid members for a rather decent amount.

It is very likely that your priest is very good at their job and is able to negate a large portion of the damage coming in on your raid, the absorbs stacking on top of the other healing. The question I would ask there is if your raid tends to stay at or near full health for the majority of the encounters. If you raid is dipping below 80% health on a regular and prolonged basis, then I would say your druid needs to kick it up a notch. But, again, it is difficult to say without logs.

On a personal note, I can say that I've been pushing above 50k HPS since ilvl 515ish and am currently averaging 60-70k at 528. That's assuming enough damage is going out to require that much healing.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseigaly View Post
    On a personal note, I can say that I've been pushing above 50k HPS since ilvl 515ish and am currently averaging 60-70k at 528. That's assuming enough damage is going out to require that much healing.
    Thanks for the comment. For this particular part, I'm going to use an example fights I remember when we two healed Meg. The druid is roughly 530 ilevel and the Disc roughly 520 at the time. The duration of the fight was something like 7-8 minutes, and both healers became OOM at the last head, so I think this is a decent example of the capabilities. The disc did around 130k, the druid around 100k. That's the highest I've seen either of them, so I'm assuming that's around their upper limit. Would you say that's good then? Both the disc and the druid didn't have the meta gem, I don't think.

I would ask there is if your raid tends to stay at or near full health for the majority of the encounters. If you raid is dipping below 80% health on a regular and prolonged basis, then I would say your druid needs to kick it up a notch. But, again, it is difficult to say without logs.
    Generally not really. During low-medium damage the raid is almost always topped off. For example, during H jinro, the only time the raid is under 80% for more than maybe 5-10 seconds is when the Ionization goes out and the healers need to focus on that instead. Lightning Storm is kind of random, if people don't get hit then they generally stay fairly high.

Healing is not a very large issue for us, I'm more asking this out of curiosity since I don't know much about druids and it seemed very peculiar.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2013-08-21 at 09:44 PM.

A resto druid will have very high over heals. Our hots keep ticking even if someone is topped off and most healers will not trust our Hots and heal someone at 90% up. If he is working with a good disc priest who actually shields and not just smite spams, his over heals will be even higher. He needs to pre hot before high damage phases and a Disc Priests shields will have to be taken out before anyone takes damage.

If ppl are not dying and he is not oom, he is doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricksterjim View Post
    A resto druid will have very high over heals. Our hots keep ticking even if someone is topped off and most healers will not trust our Hots and heal someone at 90% up. If he is working with a good disc priest who actually shields and not just smite spams, his over heals will be even higher. He needs to pre hot before high damage phases and a Disc Priests shields will have to be taken out before anyone takes damage.

If ppl are not dying and he is not oom, he is doing fine.
    Agreed. I hear there is a Druid on my second raid team that is pushing 100k in normals, but he's also 3-healing, so I'm not sure what's up with that. I would say that most people won't be able to milk much more out of a Druid on a consistent basis. Also, all my stuff is based on normal. My raid team will start up some heroics this week hopefully.

Druids typically have 40%+ overheal when played properly and used shrooms.(Except on H tortos?)
    The use of shrooms guarantees high overheal.
    Even on Iron Qon 25H I was having 45% overheal when pulling 170K HPS.

Deleted
    Aye, as others have said, if the disc is staying on top of damage the druid will have a higher proportion overheal than if the disc is struggling to cope with absorbs.

I'm no longer playing but I stayed with our disc priest in T14, on garalon for example we both did 82k at 487 ilvl. Certainly top wack for me, I couldn't have healed for more, but resto can produce better numbers now, so perhaps look for numbers similar to the priest on fights where both healers need to be at full chat throughout.

I've not raided T15 so I'm not sure on the fights but I'd expect the druid to do well on a fight like Tortos, where damage is in quite closely spaced waves and few quiet times.

If ur healing with a shitty disc priest then ur overheals shouldn't be nearly as high but if ur healing with a halfass holy paly or disc priest then expect to overheal alittle. Do u got any logs?

If your druid is doing a lot of over-healing, maybe check how many mushroom blooms they did as this will indicate if they're OH for the hell of it, or if there is purpose behind it.

Soruzi
    Rogue

Draenor

Quote Originally Posted by insanedruid View Post
    Druids typically have 40%+ overheal when played properly and used shrooms.(Except on H tortos?)
    The use of shrooms guarantees high overheal.
    Even on Iron Qon 25H I was having 45% overheal when pulling 170K HPS.
    This. resto druid is an overhealing spec. It's how we play out and it's what we're balanced around. As opposed to disc priest? cmon now, sorb spec shouldn't have much overhealing at all - dem shields.

Overhealing by shroom, tranq, efflo, wild growth, and lifebloom shouldn't really be considered much of true overhealing. Heck even like 20% of rejuv at the very least is expected - even more with more spirit. Only if healing is very stressed should you see less overhealing like on megaera as you pointed out. If he's having oom issues with this much overhealing, then yea - there's room for improvement, otherwise G2G.
    Last edited by boomkinhero; 2013-08-22 at 03:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Resto druids are designed to overheal a ton- generally 50% of thier overall healing goes to overhealing. This is why there is a mechanic in place to help with this- Resto Druid's Shrooms convert overhealing by Rejuvenation into a big AoE heal (Which itself tends to go to overhealing, since most resto's let it absorb healing to the max amount and then only use it on 3 ppl, instead of blooming them often for sustained AoE throughput)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Deleted
    Over-healing is totally irrelevant as it's clearly stated, since 85% of the druid's heals comes from HoTs. The only thing I have to comment is that is totally unacceptable for the druid to be out-healed by a disc priest, IF the druid has indeed 10 ilvls higher. Guess you have a very skilled and aware disc priest, in contrast to the druid.

Your going to have high over healing as a resto druid. But if your double healing them i'm guessing it's normal 10 man. And then you should probably be solo healing it.

Quote Originally Posted by pank View Post
    Over-healing is totally irrelevant as it's clearly stated, since 85% of the druid's heals comes from HoTs. The only thing I have to comment is that is totally unacceptable for the druid to be out-healed by a disc priest, IF the druid has indeed 10 ilvls higher. Guess you have a very skilled and aware disc priest, in contrast to the druid.

absorb > hot all day every day, not sure why you would think a resto druid should trump a disc priest in 10 man. It's a testament to a decent disc priest, nothing in particular about the druid.

Quote Originally Posted by boomkinhero View Post
    absorb > hot all day every day, not sure why you would think a resto druid should trump a disc priest in 10 man. It's a testament to a decent disc priest, nothing in particular about the druid.
    Disc priests healing output is capped. They can only absorb so much with out just massively hoping for lucky crits. Resto druids throughput is insanely high and can increase during times of high damage phases. A good disc priest can make the raid take no damage most of the time. But when there is too much damge going out too often than a resto druid gets to step up and pull crazy numbers.

Mushroom ninja heals