Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    This wasn't a personal issue for him, he doesn't live in Russia. This was not some 'Russian taking a brave stand" bullshit. This was a hack American reporter hijacking a news segment for his own political agenda to bash the country that owns the station he was brought on to.
    The bashing is deserved, that country is being pretty disgusting lately.

Now if only Sochi would move the Olympics, that would be so entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    Holy Shit, a post that looks at both sides of the issue's morality and doesn't just condemn what the guy did because in Russia it's illegal???????

Did MMOChampion just merge with some other forum or something?
    Do you even read other peoples' posts before responding? Nobody is condemning him for speaking up against the issue; they are condemning him for speaking up in an inappropriate time and place. Just because there's something wrong going on doesn't mean that every single discussion has to be about that something. He was chosen to speak at that specific time and place under the pretense that he would discuss the topic at hand: Bradley Manning's conviction. Instead, he decided to completely derail the entire show for 2 minutes to spew his opinion on something completely unrelated. There is nothing commendable about that. As a professional, you're expected to do what you say you will do. He was invited and expected to speak on the topic that was being discussed on the show, not a topic that not only has absolutely nothing to do with it but was also discussed on that same show previously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Disconnected View Post
    Do you even read other peoples' posts before responding? Nobody is condemning him for speaking up against the issue; they are condemning him for speaking up in an inappropriate time and place. Just because there's something wrong going on doesn't mean that every single discussion has to be about that something. He was chosen to speak at that specific time and place under the pretense that he would discuss the topic at hand: Bradley Manning's conviction. Instead, he decided to completely derail the entire show for 2 minutes to spew his opinion on something completely unrelated. There is nothing commendable about that. As a professional, you're expected to do what you say you will do. He was invited and expected to speak on the topic that was being discussed on the show, not a topic that not only has absolutely nothing to do with it but was also discussed on that same show previously.
    But that would have been boring.

You can't defeat a system by only protesting on its own terms, on the terms it put there specifically to stop you from succeeding, speaking up at times when you aren't allowed is something you have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You can't defeat a system by only protesting on its own terms, on the terms it put there specifically to stop you from succeeding, speaking up at times when you aren't allowed is something you have to do.
    Except that Russia really doesn't give a damn about what some random American journalist who can't even do his job properly thinks about their legislature. He accomplished absolutely nothing by doing what he did except getting kicked off the air and wasting peoples' time. Please tell me, what good does that do for anyone? Also, you seem to be under the same, albeit incorrect, impression that he was under when you say "speaking up at times when you aren't allowed is something you have to do." James Kirchick mentioned multiple times that "you aren't allowed to talk about this on this show." Too bad that RT already covered that exact topic just a week ago. It has nothing to do with him not being allowed to speak on the subject and everything to do with him being expected to speak on the subject that he was asked to speak on.

God forbid that RT expected him to actually do his job instead of pushing his own personal agenda. /rollseye
    Last edited by Disconnected; 2013-08-22 at 09:45 AM.

I didn't read all of your block of text, but in regards to your first point:

Yes, I did read what others said. What I was implying was that they were condemning him for speaking of Homosexuality on the news when he lied to get on it, condemning him for speaking of an illegal subject (which people were doing) and lying.

So apparently it's YOU who doesn't read what others say, hence why I didn't bother to read your whole post.

If you can't get a good stage, you should make your own stage. Even if the stage-builders don't like it.

I didn't read all of your block of text, but in regards to your first point:

Yes, I did read what others said. What I was implying was that they were condemning him for speaking of Homosexuality on the news when he lied to get on it, condemning him for speaking of an illegal subject (which people were doing) and lying.

So apparently it's YOU who doesn't read what others say, hence why I didn't bother to read your whole post.
    Are you really this dense? Without even going into the fact that you pretty much ignored 90% of my previous point just to get your own point across, I'll say it one more time. People aren't condemning him for speaking on an illegal subject; they are condemning him for lying about what he was going to speak about and speaking about something unrelated to the topic he was called to speak about.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue
    It sounds like they kicked him off the network because he deliberately changed the topic of discussion, not helping the fact that said discussion is now illegal. I wouldn't say it's right to lie about your intentions to people, then use your time on TV as a soapbox to preach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer
    He was invited to talk about ENTIRELY different thing. He then proceeds to sabotage the itnerview with off-topic comments.

Anyone would be kicked off for that. Doesn't have anything to do with gays. (Except for the fact that they like to attract attention to their antics at the most inappropriate times, like this interview just showed)
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26
    What a load of bullshit.

He's not even a Russian, let alone a Russian journalist.

He's an American journalist brought onto a Russian English-language news show to discuss the Manning verdict.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Kirchick

This wasn't a personal issue for him, he doesn't live in Russia. This was not some 'Russian taking a brave stand" bullshit. This was a hack American reporter hijacking a news segment for his own political agenda to bash the country that owns the station he was brought on to.
    All 3 of the posters said the exact same thing: He was brought to discuss one topic and chose to discuss another, completely unrelated topic. The first poster makes a reference to the chosen topic being illegal but neither condemns nor commends him for it. Neither the second nor the third poster make any mention of it being illegal to speak on that subject. So, I'm not exactly sure where you are getting this "People are condemning him for speaking about an illegal subject" bullshit but it sure as hell isn't from posts in this topic.

But hey, keep making assumptions without any basis, it makes you seem smarter than you really are. I mean, everything makes sense when you don't think about it. /yawn
    Last edited by Disconnected; 2013-08-22 at 09:59 AM.

Except that Russia really doesn't give a damn about what some random American journalist who can't even do his job properly thinks about their legislature. He accomplished absolutely nothing by doing what he did except getting kicked off the air and wasting peoples' time. Please tell me, what good does that do for anyone? Also, you seem to be under the same, albeit incorrect, impression that he was under when you say "speaking up at times when you aren't allowed is something you have to do." James Kirchick mentioned multiple times that "you aren't allowed to talk about this on this show." Too bad that RT already covered that exact topic just a week ago. It has nothing to do with him not being allowed to speak on the subject and everything to do with him being expected to speak on the subject that he was asked to speak on.

God forbid that RT expected him to actually do his job instead of pushing his own personal agenda. /rollseye
    Well presumably one thing he did was let a lot of the gay community in Russia understand that this issue within Russia has garnered international attention. Giving these people the confidence to live their lives on their own terms and change the laws so they can do it free from persecution doesn't sound like it achieves nothing. No one person is going to make this change happen, so to criticise the efforts of one person simply because you don't view it as affective enough seems a bit harsh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Are you really this dense? Without even going into the fact that you pretty much ignored 90% of my previous point just to get your own point across, I'll say it one more time. People aren't condemning him for speaking on an illegal subject; they are condemning him for lying about what he was going to speak about and speaking about something unrelated to the topic he was called to speak about.
    Which is why you cherry-picked comments that proved your point and not mine.

Wakka wakka wakka.

Yes, okay we get it... Russia hates gay people and they're awful because of it.

Honestly, I put this stuff squarely next to "woman is honor-killed by her [male relative] for being raped" shit in the middle east.

Yeah, it sucks but it's the same damn story over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Yes, okay we get it... Russia hates gay people and they're awful because of it.

Honestly, I put this stuff squarely next to "woman is honor-killed by her [male relative] for being raped" shit in the middle east.

Yeah, it sucks but it's the same damn story over and over again.
    Well sort of, but not really.

This is totally unrelated to a woman in the Middle East being honor-killed for getting raped, mostly due to the fact that this about someone speaking out against the anti-Homosexuality laws; not just people being scrutinized because of it.

Which is why you cherry-picked comments that proved your point and not mine.

Wakka wakka wakka.
    Show me one post that actually supports the point you are trying to make and I'll shut up. The only post that comes even remotely close to supporting your claim that people are condemning him for speaking on the subject just because it is illegal is this one:
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert West
    "I'm coming to a country with a brand new anti-gay law and history of intolerance for opposite opinions. What should I do?
    Ah right, protest against anti-gay law!"

That man is sooo clever...
    Even then, that post hardly condemns him. The poster makes a valid point, which is that it probably isn't the best idea to talk about something that is illegal. No condemnation, although I can see how a sarcastic "That man is sooo clever" could possibly be misconstrued as condemnation.

Also, I didn't cherry pick posts; I simply quoted all of the the posts that I saw that weren't in support of James Kirchick since the point I was trying to make was that those that were condemning him weren't condemning him for speaking on an illegal subject. Doesn't make sense to quote posts that aren't condemning him in that case.
    Last edited by Disconnected; 2013-08-22 at 10:11 AM.

I don't think it's wrong to protest evil, no matter the venue.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

You guys think this law was passed because a selected few decided it would be a good idea to ban homosexuality? Not really. You have to know that this anti-gay law is massively supported by the Russian people. Especially the older generation has zero tolerance. Even the younger generation doesn't really want to accept it.

This is bigger than one crazy guy with an idea like SOPA, where we all just sign a petition and his plan goes downhill.

If we wish to help gay people in Russia, we have to address the morality and social values of Russians. Gay people had a hard time in Russia even before the law was passed.

Russia doesn't care what the rest of the world thinks. I doubt they want what happened to Germany to happen to their country. The reporter was combative and rude and failed to get his point across. James Kirchick had an agenda and got rightly booted off.
    Last edited by GoldNSilence; 2013-08-22 at 10:37 AM.

Deleted
    I wonder why ppl make so much noise about sexual preferences that should be their own business not the society. Russian law is against LGBT propaganda not against gays. Read with using a brain and dont repeat without understanding. Its kinda wierd that one of less democratic nations is criticised by democratic nations for realy democratic law (majority of nation is against homosexual propaganda). I think that religion and sexual preferences are our personal things and shouldnt be a part of public. You should talk about many real problems of the world. Support killed womans and childrens in africa, middle east, situation in north korea etc. Etc. They need your support not ppls who want doing sex and shout about it. Shame on you.
    Last edited by mmocb840f33ed3; 2013-08-22 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wredzik View Post
    I wonder why ppl make so much noise about sexual preferences that should be their own business not the society. Russian law is against LGBT propaganda not against gays. Read with using a brain and dont repeat without understanding. Its kinda wierd that one of less democratic nations is criticised by democratic nations for realy democratic law (majority of nation is against homosexual propaganda). I think that religion and sexual preferences are our personal things and shouldnt be a part of public. You should talk about many real problems of the world. Support killed womans and childrens in africa, middle east, nsituation in north korea etc. Etc. They need yournsupport not ppls who want doing sex and shout about it. Shame on you.
    So I guess you are a major donator for organizations who take care of women and children in africa and the middle east, as well as somebody who actively supports South Korea with their fight against North Korea?

I'm impressed.

Many people are saying he will probably 'disappear' or that his life is in danger. Since he isn't a national, the law can be used to detain him for 14 days, then expel him back to his home country.

I wonder why ppl make so much noise about sexual preferences that should be their own business not the society. Russian law is against LGBT propaganda not against gays. Read with using a brain and dont repeat without understanding. Its kinda wierd that one of less democratic nations is criticised by democratic nations for realy democratic law (majority of nation is against homosexual propaganda). I think that religion and sexual preferences are our personal things and shouldnt be a part of public. You should talk about many real problems of the world. Support killed womans and childrens in africa, middle east, nsituation in north korea etc. Etc. They need yournsupport not ppls who want doing sex and shout about it. Shame on you.
    No, shame on you. All you've seen is a law, and have completely ignored how this law is now being used. It has essentially allowed people to bully, torture and murder gay people without fear of repercussion. There have been many disturbing stories of gay people being tricked into meeting other gay people, only to find a gang waiting them, where they are tortured, forced to drink their own urine, outed to their families, and in one or two reported cases, killed.

Not having a focus on LGBT rights and exposing kids to them causes suicides. Can you imagine how confusing it must be for someone to realise they are gay at a young age, but then have no access to any support on it? For heterosexual kids to not be taught that it is completely normal for some people to be homosexual, and then they go off and bully someone until they commit suicide? Heck, it even affects some straight kids too who are perceived as gay. Open your own eyes, before telling others to do the same.
    Last edited by Dundebuns; 2013-08-22 at 11:07 AM.
    RETH

10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    so an american invited onto russian tv to talk about the bradley manning trial decided to lecture russia on its anti gay stance. and he gets kicked off. sounds fair enough to me. wouldnt it be great if people could show equal concern say for children killed in drone strikes, arming FSA thugs in Syria or other perhaps bigger issues in the world than just who they sleep with.