Optimizing My Gaming Experience??

So I bought an ASUS G75VX Laptop for gaming (and in Canada, it's not cheap), and my question is whether or not there are any common optimization techniques that I'm missing due to a lack of experience, (such as drivers that I need, settings for performance, anything like that, things people use to optimize their computer's performance).

I kind of mean things like fan control, temperature-related, graphics-boosting or things like that. Someone mentioned that my processor "turbos" to 3.4ghz, but is 2.4ghz by default... I really don't know what that means. ;p

My specs are:

Intel i7 3630QM
    12GB RAM (Upgradeable to 32, which I'll be doing because it's cheap anyway, unless too much ram is a problem)
    NVidia GeForce 670MX

I really appreciate the help, and I know that everyone here is generally pretty friendly given my experience on MMO-C.

And just as a P.S.: If you're only going to post just to mention "shouldn't buy a gaming laptop", please don't bother, I have reasons for it... Plus half the people who say that to me benchmark at half anyway.

Thanks everyone
    Last edited by Stuneree; 2013-08-22 at 07:44 AM.

i7 4690K/4.7GHz | GTX 960 SSC (x2 SLI) | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Gigabyte Z97X SLI | Corsair CX600W | Corsair Air 540 Silver | Corsair H110i Cooler
    XL2430T @ 144Hz | Corsair K70 RGB Brown | Logitech G400S/800DPI+1.2 sens+Raw Input | QcK+

Three most common problems with laptop performance are: crapware, power saving modes and overheating

Make sure to uninstall all shit that shipped with the laptop you don't need, and especially make sure none of the shit is starting automatically with Windows. When you're gaming keep the computer plugged into wall instead of using it on battery, and keep it on a table so that you aren't blocking the air vents at the bottom and sides.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Three most common problems with laptop performance are: crapware, power saving modes and overheating

Make sure to uninstall all shit that shipped with the laptop you don't need, and especially make sure none of the shit is starting automatically with Windows. When you're gaming keep the computer plugged into wall instead of using it on battery, and keep it on a table so that you aren't blocking the air vents at the bottom and sides.
    I appreciate the response...

As for the vents, I generally keep it well vented, and REFUSE to have it on anything non-hard.

How would I find these things that need uninstalling??

i7 4690K/4.7GHz | GTX 960 SSC (x2 SLI) | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Gigabyte Z97X SLI | Corsair CX600W | Corsair Air 540 Silver | Corsair H110i Cooler
    XL2430T @ 144Hz | Corsair K70 RGB Brown | Logitech G400S/800DPI+1.2 sens+Raw Input | QcK+

Quote Originally Posted by Stuneree View Post
    How would I find these things that need uninstalling??
    Dunno about Asus how much crapware they have, but almost all manufacturers ship laptops with tons of 30 day demos and "useful" tools that are closer to advertisement than actual tools.

I recently got Lenovo laptop where I uninstalled at least four programs that were 30 day demos and few 90 day demos, none of which I even wanted to use or register, but were automatically loading. It's common strategy to subsidize for the retail prices of laptops.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    first of don't bother with the ram upgrade 12Gb is already plenty for gaming + way too many side processes. (besides the cpu would be the limiting factor anyway)
    as for driver settings it is usually the norm to switch the screen settings to performance instead of quality. (nvidia control panel first 3d settings tab)
    better question would be why did you go with the ivy series and not the updated haswell and 7xx gpu series?

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    first of don't bother with the ram upgrade 12Gb is already plenty for gaming + way too many side processes. (besides the cpu would be the limiting factor anyway)
    as for driver settings it is usually the norm to switch the screen settings to performance instead of quality. (nvidia control panel first 3d settings tab)
    better question would be why did you go with the ivy series and not the updated haswell and 7xx gpu series?
    Thank you, in that case I won't waste the money...

And as for the purchase, it was simply in the budget... I don't really know much about this stuff yet, including what "ivy series" is haha...

Found the control panel, I'll try to figure that stuff out... ;p EDIT: Is the performance switch going to make games look terrible??

ALSO:

Should I use something like DriverAgent for better performance, or is that going to give me 50% decent drivers, and 50% drivers that are useless or bad for my performance?? I checked it and it offered a whole bunch of driver upgrades (except Video, because I got those directly from NVidia), but I didn't know if I should download them.
    Last edited by Stuneree; 2013-08-22 at 09:27 AM.