Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    My only thought is maybe they are confusing Katrina with the Gulf Oil Spill. We dont know what the question that they were asked if it was perfectly clear or if it was somewhat ambiguous as to what they were asking. But concerning what a lot of the gulf coast area considers to be a bad response from the Obama administration to the gulf oil spill this isnt surprising. And only polling 700 people and claiming that it is everyone is pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    To be fair, the SEALs went in and did the wetwork but I seriously doubt that they did much in actually finding Bin Laden. I think the CIA are more to credit that to.
    The CIA found him (using torture at times) and informed the Sec. of Def. Panetta (and Obama). Obama then ordered the strike which was risky as fuck given that there was no confirmation OBL was living there. The SEALs were the instrument of OBL's demise, but they went in under the POTUS' order.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Wait, we're surprised that average Americans have no concept of how the government functions and who is in charge of what?
    Shocking, I know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The CIA found him (using torture at times) and informed the Sec. of Def. Panetta (and Obama). Obama then ordered the strike which was risky as fuck given that there was no confirmation OBL was living there. The SEALs were the instrument of OBL's demise, but they went in under the POTUS' order
    True enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Stop being so dramatic. Bush wasn't a "bad" president.

Exactly, he was the most destructive force to have every hit the country. Never was more damage done to the country in 8 years then under his watch.

Aren't you one of those guys who said Obama isn't responsible for Benghazi?

Aren't you one of those guys who said Obama isn't responsible for Benghazi?
    Considering there weren't enough troops on station to repel a mob, yes.

Let's also pretend that the Democrats didn't raise hell every time something happened under Bush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKdScVerrBU

Considering there weren't enough troops on station to repel a mob, yes.
    But, it's Bush's fault that FEMA failed to activate the correct resources in a timely manner? That's a pretty big double standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    You can critisize Obama all you want... but I simply cannot fathom how ANYBODY can possibly say that Obama is worse than the President who sent us to two useless wars costing thousands of American and innocent lives, failed to capture Bin-Laden, failed to send aid/response to Katrina, the subsequent pushing forward and OKing of torture, the constant feed of oil field sales of the Iraq War going to his Vice President's interests, and his Republican policies led to the near total collapse of the US and world economy...

But hey, I guess Obama's quick response and defense of Sandy (particularly when it helped a political opponent at the time, Chris Christie), his admin nabbing Bin-Laden, the ending the war in Iraq, the current withdrawal of troops out of Afganastan and efforts to establish good healthcare for all Americans don't mean much... It's like they're saying "if the president doesn't instantly make America like it was in 1984, then he's CRAP!!!"
    But that's exactly my problem with Obama. He is making America like it was in 1984, just like his predecessor. Yes, Bush's administration was corrupt and incompetent, and Obama's is less so. But the country can survive and recover from corruption and incompetence better than it can the deliberate dismantling of its democratic fundamentals - rule of law, free press, civil rights, and so forth. And Obama has done more damage to the underlying structure of American civil society than Bush did. Maybe because he is a better, less corrupt administrator, or maybe just because W was first and he was second. But either way, following W on the road to hell was Obama's decision; he had other options and chose not to take them.

(I suspect you chose that year deliberately, but I just couldn't resist. )
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

But, it's Bush's fault that FEMA failed to activate the correct resources in a timely manner? That's a pretty big double standard.
    The POTUS doesn't give every single order. OBL was one that Obama gave directly.

That's how the military works.

The POTUS doesn't give every single order. OBL was one that Obama gave directly.

That's how the military works.
    Obviously he doesn't give every order. If Bush is responsible for FEMA's/military failures during his administration, Obama is responsible for the same under his.

FEMA's failure was due to appointing someone with no relevant skills to its head. Bad appointments are certainly the president's fault.
    Last edited by Wells; 2013-08-22 at 03:25 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    So we can conclude that when republicans see an option to blame Obama for anything they take it. I'm sure if you made a poll that asked if Obama was to blame for 9/11 you would get a bunch of votes to.
    They'd vehemently argue he was flying one of the planes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psiclonus View Post
    They'd vehemently argue he was flying one of the planes.
    Which of the men listed below piloted the planes into the twin towers and Pentagon building:
    Bush
    Obama
    Bin Laden
    All of the above
    None of the above

I'd love to see the result of that poll question.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    To be fair, this thread would be more accurate if it said, "Some Republicans in Louisiana" as opposed to "Republicans". I'm not a Republican. I'm a fiscally conservative, socially liberal, Libertarian leaning Constitutional Constructionist. But is is inaccurate and misleading to say "Republicans" blame Obama for Katrina, when even this clearly liberal blog says that only 29% of Louisiana Republicans meet this definition.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/161910086/...ll-August-2013

Now actually, when you look at the poll's internals, it doesn't even look like they ASKED a person's political party. They asked whether you were liberal or conservative. And guess what? 17% of the "Very Liberal" people said that Barak Obama was more responsible - and "very liberal" is code-speak for Democrat. So this blame thing is not exclusively a GOP thing for Louisianians. Very misleading article, and VERY misleading thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    FEMA's failure was due to appointing someone with no relevant skills to its head. Bad appointment's are certainly the president's fault.
    So now the President is only responsible for certain things under his administration? I certainly hope you don't blame Bush for the bad intel from the CIA since Tenet was a Clinton nominee...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    So we can conclude that when republicans see an option to blame Obama for anything they take it. I'm sure if you made a poll that asked if Obama was to blame for 9/11 you would get a bunch of votes to.
    Former NYC mayor Giuliani is already on the record saying, "We had no domestic attacks under Bush; we've had one under Obama". I think Faux News has made similar claims.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Riddler, don't even pretend you're socially liberal. We've all heard your "abortion mill" bullshit.

So now the President is only responsible for certain things under his administration? I certainly hope you don't blame Bush for the bad intel from the CIA since Tenet was a Clinton nominee...
    The president is always responsible for what he chooses to act on.

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Former NYC mayor Giuliani is already on the record saying, "We had no domestic attacks under Bush; we've had one under Obama". I think Faux News has made similar claims.
    Giuliani is a steaming intellectual.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sainur View Post
    If Bush was so terrible, wretched, and a miserable failure of a president then why did he get elected a second time? Bush wasn't really that bad. Obama takes over and look at your precious country now, it's not going any better than it was before.
    some ppl would argue that Bush shouldnt have won the first election, since he technically had fewer votes than gore. its funny how a country that prides itself in representing the best a democracy has to offer, doesnt technically have a true democracy.

also the Bush administration used some very clever fear tactics in his 2nd election, basically making ppl believe that if you didnt vote for him, you arent a patriot(and all the persecution that followed not being a patriot or when you just went up against the president you werent a patriot, which is ironic coz the country was litterally built on civil disobidience) and terrorists would overwhelm the country.