• Mankrik's wife

135 30.41%
  • Other

43 9.68%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netamin View Post
    Regarding Ny'alotha, I have many wild theories. Hold on to your hats because it is ludicrously wild speculation time.

We start with Whispering Forest.

Whispering Forest is a zone in WoW with a few easter eggs and a very unsettling atmosphere. One of these easter eggs is a mushroom circle that will occasional be surrounded by fey dragons. The little guys will cast some sort of spell and sing a strange song. This easter egg implies a connection between Whispering Forest and the Emerald Dream.

This place is also likely where the High Elves first landed upon the Eastern Continent created by the Sundering. Some force is known to have driven some of the elves insane and caused to them to flee north where they founded our favorite city of pointy eared pretty people.

This force has been confirmed by Blizzard as something other than an Old God. This revelation leads me to another location in Wow's lore.

Chamber of Krasus

This chamber is likely located beneath the Whispering Forest in an underground citadel of mostly high elf and a bit of unknown architecture. The chamber, within the deepest part of the citadel contains a mysterious pool. When looking into the pool, Krasus often saw strange things at the edge of his perception. These things seemed to be creatures with very peculiar features. "When he stared into the pool, he saw odd shapes, which were at times "silvery fish," and at others still, a human torso, legs, or arms."

I always thought this was interesting but never thought much else of it because the scene was from a novel and possibly not canon. That is until I soloed Ulduar for the first time.

Within Ulduar there is a part of the raid called "Descent Into Madness." Within the Descent are many strange stained glass windows lining the walls. The first windows show what look like tad pool/humanoid babies. As you progress through the descent, the images change to show aquatic humanoids and eventually beings that are most likely Old Gods.

If the Whispering Forest has a connection to the Emerald Dream and the pool in Krasus' Chamber is connected to the Old Gods...I'm lead to believe that the Old Gods and the Emerald Dream share a yet to be revealed connection that goes much deeper than N'zoth or the Emerald Nightmare.

The answer might be contained within Ny'alotha/the Black Forest.

My current theory is that something very old at the center of Ny'alotha is not only connected to the Old Gods but possibly responsible for bringing them to Azeroth and/or spawning their corporeal forms and it has some connection to the Well of Eternity and also the pool within Krasus' secret chamber.
    Seems interesting theory, but I like it very much.

My speculation
    Ny'alotha:
    A city that is quite literally alive, something that would seem compatible with the Aqir more than anything. I suspect that it's sort of a Aqir capital ship, carrier or ark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    My speculation
    Ny'alotha:
    A city that is quite literally alive, something that would seem compatible with the Aqir more than anything. I suspect that it's sort of a Aqir capital ship, carrier or ark.
    I like this theory a lot. Maybe Ny'alotha is a giant tree at the center of the Black Forest which sprouted from a seed and that seed is what brought the Old God presence to Azeroth in the first place. I'm picturing a black Exodar with a giant black tree and small black tree off shoots growing from it.

"Beneath the shadow of the darkened spire, there is no light, no mercy, only void, and the chaos within."
    Last edited by Netamin; 2013-08-22 at 09:32 PM.

My speculation: Ny'alotha was a city built by the Faceless for the Old Gods. They had a falling out, and N'zoth was buried along with the city by the combined forces of the others. They then each placed spells of sealing over the tomb city, and over the millennia fell to squabbling amongst themselves. Eventually the Titans came, and after a difficult war they succeeded in containing the free Old Gods. But they didn't kill them. They even went so far as to keep Y'shaarj's heart intact and quarantined. They realized that with the destruction of each Old God's physical avatar, the spells holding Ny'alotha would weaken, and eventually the city would rise again and the most powerful and fearsome of their number would be free to have his revenge on the surface world.

Eons passed. The Sundering sank the center of ancient Kalimdor beneath the waves. And below that, below the deepest ocean trenches, below the sunken city of Nazjatar and the shattered remnants of the Well of Eternity, below layers upon layers of rock and alluvial muck, N'zoth sleeps. And dreams. Y'shaarj's seal has been broken. The corpse city stirs in the Dark Below.

Of course, it's a complete wild mass guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    My speculation: Ny'alotha was a city built by the Faceless for the Old Gods. They had a falling out, and N'zoth was buried along with the city by the combined forces of the others. They then each placed spells of sealing over the tomb city, and over the millennia fell to squabbling amongst themselves. Eventually the Titans came, and after a difficult war they succeeded in containing the free Old Gods. But they didn't kill them. They even went so far as to keep Y'shaarj's heart intact and quarantined. They realized that with the destruction of each Old God's physical avatar, the spells holding Ny'alotha would weaken, and eventually the city would rise again and the most powerful and fearsome of their number would be free to have his revenge on the surface world.

Eons passed. The Sundering sank the center of ancient Kalimdor beneath the waves. And below that, below the deepest ocean trenches, below the sunken city of Nazjatar and the shattered remnants of the Well of Eternity, below layers upon layers of rock and alluvial muck, N'zoth sleeps. And dreams. Y'shaarj's seal has been broken. The corpse city stirs in the Dark Below.

Why haven't you been hired by Blizzard? Your speculation sounds like an actual blurb for an expansion.

I hope it's something like this... :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xinjun View Post
    Some of that stuff is said by Y'Shraaj in SoO. Not Yogg.
    Nope, are all also said by Yogg in the puzzlebox

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xinjun View Post
    Some of that stuff is said by Y'Shraaj in SoO. Not Yogg.
    All the puzzlebox stuff is shared between all the Old Gods. It's not Yogg exclusive.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd say that's pretty likely for a guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Concequence View Post
    This would be so badass to see in game.

The first rule of Ny'alotha is: You do not talk about Ny'alotha.

The second rule of Ny'alotha is: You do not talk about Ny'alotha.

Quote Originally Posted by babalou1 View Post
    I think this might be the 3rd time this post you've said this. However, as people have already pointed out to you.. It was actually APPROVED as a trade mark. Now That isnt to say its for WoW but its still a filed and ACCEPTED trademark filed by Blizzard.
    It was not approved it was SUBMITTED. There is a different code once it's passed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crennox View Post
    This would be so badass to see in game.
    Agreed. Underwater city concept art makes me drool over the possibilities.

That and I'm a huge Lovecraft fan (so is everyone else blah blah.)

10+ Year Old Account
    What if it's a city surrounded by a black forest which both share the same name and at the core of the city, lies the real Mankrik's Wife who's real name is also Ny'alotha?

10+ Year Old Account
    Going by one of the quotes said by Y'Shaaraj in SoO "When you walk among the black forest, you will see" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYdM752o2QM if you have yet to see it ) and stuff on the Wowpidia, I'd have to say that Ny'alotha is a sunken city, with a black forest around/near it
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

I like the idea that Ny'alotha is just Nazjatar corrupted by the Old Gods and twisted

Extremely plausible. Wouldn't be surprised if this ended up being word for word what "The Dark Below" is. Great theory man

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    And the forest contains "the giant rook", which watches from the dead trees.
    Could be wrong, but I believe that one in particular is a reference to Karazhan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Calling it:
    The fifth, yet unnamed Old god.

The Dark Below is pretty much 100% now.
    the third unnamed old god seems to be imprisoned underneath the depths of Azeroth.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fish know all the secrets. They know the cold. They know the dark.