Any MAJOR changes to game?

I haven't played this game since release , due to RL and all. But I've been reading up on the updates, but it seems to me those events are "temporary" and i've missed many of them already. But I'm not talking about "events" as it were.

What i'm wondering is, has there been any major additions or changes, such as a new landmass to explore, new classes to try out, that sort of thing. As someone who haven't played since release, where would be a good place to read up a sum of the changes that has gone into the game? I read that the company isn't planning to release any expansions, which kinda suck for me. I love to explore new lands, fight new monsters, try new classes/races, and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Valar morghulis

The Guild Wars 2 wiki should be where you go first for game information.

Major changes...

- New mini dungeons called fractals
    - Achievements reward system
    - New skills in WvW
    - Account currency wallet [feature]
    - New landmass called South Sun Cove
    - New gearing system called Ascended gear
    - Toggleable PVE and PVP character culling [feature]
    - Guild missions

Those are all permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what the fuck these 5 new dungeons are.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what the fuck these 5 new dungeons are.
    I thought we already covered that in the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I thought we already covered that in the other thread.
    Don't remember

Deleted
    They stopped adding permanent landmass because Southsun Cove became empty as soon as the events finished. To be honest, it's the right idea, unless they are going to add a continent that replaces the existing content, adding new zones is pretty much pointless.

The game doesn't feel THAT much different from release since most updates are temporary events. The main change is a bunch of polish, fluff, and the fractal dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by laserguns View Post
    They stopped adding permanent landmass because Southsun Cove became empty as soon as the events finished. To be honest, it's the right idea, unless they are going to add a continent that replaces the existing content, adding new zones is pretty much pointless.

The game doesn't feel THAT much different from release since most updates are temporary events. The main change is a bunch of polish, fluff, and the fractal dungeons.
    It was empty soon as it was finish because when it was finished there was nothing to fucking do on the island. There was about 5 or 6 dynamic events on the whole island and half of them took forever to spawn, it was freaken boring.

They also haven't added a reason why you should pick the max level zones over a low lvl one. Champion loot was suppose to fix this but it didn't because it's better to farm in a lower zone where they spawn more and are easy that offer the same reward.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    They also haven't added a reason why you should pick the max level zones over a low lvl one. Champion loot was suppose to fix this but it didn't because it's better to farm in a lower zone where they spawn more and are easy that offer the same reward.
    Not really. There's a reason why those boxes don't stack ;-)

Labyrinthe Cliffs was also another zone they added. Access to that map did leave at the end of the month but will return periodically. Also, chatting with a map designer in game 2 days ago:

http://i.imgur.com/CFCisJt.jpg
    Valar morghulis

You get better champ bags in higher level areas. If you've done the invasions in lower level zones, you'll notice you get more lower quality champ bags. Gendarren Field champs often drop masterwork quality bags instead of rare or exotic.

I do think people farm Queensdale because it has the most beast/animal champs, and those bags drop the purple felblade. Still, you will notice the Queensdale champs drop subpar champ bags. About half your bags will be green quality, so I am not even sure it's the best way to get that weapon. You're basically relying on the champ spider dropping it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Damn... thanks for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    There really hasn't been any added depth, still the same boring GW2. On the upside we just got more mindless grind farming with the new update... totally fun getting your bags filled with pure shit in 5 minutes, I was like yeaaaaah no thanks logged out and back to WoW. I just can't stand how the devs think their players are fucking idiots that don't require any meaningful content. Lol meta achievement: grinding those events in 17 different maps, nothx particle effect city bitch.

I was sort of hyped about the what's to come post about new skills and such, I should have known that anything I cared about in that will come in 3 years time. What they have added is poorly implemented like the particle culling does absolutely nothing to help the screen clutter. I still can't see shit. ANet are a bunch of tards.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    There really hasn't been any added depth, still the same boring GW2. On the upside we just got more mindless grind farming with the new update... totally fun getting your bags filled with pure shit in 5 minutes, I was like yeaaaaah no thanks logged out and back to WoW. I just can't stand how the devs think their players are fucking idiots that don't require any meaningful content. Lol meta achievement: grinding those events in 17 different maps, nothx particle effect city bitch.

I was sort of hyped about the what's to come post about new skills and such, I should have known that anything I cared about in that will come in 3 years time. What they have added is poorly implemented like the particle culling does absolutely nothing to help the screen clutter. I still can't see shit. ANet are a bunch of tards.
    I'll bite!

"They really havn't added any depth, it's still the same old boring WoW. On the upside, we just got another boring mindless ilevel grind farming with the new update...tottally fun getting no loot after you kill a raid boss! I was like yeaaaaaah no thanks, logged out and back into GW2. I just can't stand how the devs think their players are fucking idiots that don't require any meaningful content. lol meta achievement: killing raid bosses in weird ways for a re-skinned mount, nothx flex-raid heros!"

See, it's easy to bash on anything when you grind it down into it's most simplest forms. I mean, what did you expect? The combat engine to be changed? A total overhaul of the graphics engine? It'd be like asking WoW to change it's combat engine to be more like GW2's, or Terra's or just...no...it's dumb. It's just short sighted to even think that ANet had suddenly tunneled on into your head, found all the "faults" you have directly with GW2 and then totally re-made the game to suit you and only you.

What they HAVE added is more GW2. Just how WoW adds more WoW, Terra adds more Terra, Rift adds more Rift etc. No game is going to suddenly change directions so violently, least of all after only being out a year. Taking what's been added at face value, it's amazing! More dungeons, more PvE content, some extra PvP stuff, just more GW2 in general.

Hell, their promise of new content every 2 weeks was enough to draw me back into the game. But if you really expected GW2 to have released say 3 raids, Pet-battles, Mounts and what ever else that actually keeps it distinct enough and interesting enough to seperate it apart from WoW, then you're either a troll (magic 8-ball says "Chances are high!"), or really deluded about the first year cycle of any game is handled, espcially a MMO.

If you have no money to donate then don't come to the fundraiser.

10+ Year Old Account
    @zaxlor

GW2 has piss poor content even for being 1year old. Everything is easy faceroll and could be done in a couple weeks from launch. I'm an MMO player, not a farmville fanatic which seems to sum this game up, just a facebook app you log in to collect your daily shit rewards with RNG and mindless clicking. Log out and forget the game exists until the next 2 week farm update.

I mean what is there to do in these world events other than spam your best AoE attack? You guys really think that's fun? Yuck! Challenge is good for the brain, and justifies the reward at the end.

I want difficult dungeons (or yes, raids) ala Liadri which I personally loved and expected more of out of this update. Nope, just more faceroll garbage collecting RNG that I could do in my sleep.

I guess too many people cried over Liadri that they wanted to add more content a 3 year old could accomplish with ease. I understand ANet wants to have casuals in their game but what they don't want is people that actually want to work for their rewards and no I don't mean grind endlessly, looking at you retarded legendary system.

Shit just baffles me, yo. Enjoy your farmville though man I'll continue being a drone in WoW! Btw I played GW1 for 7 years, too bad ANet abandons things that they don't like anymore.

PS: more content doesn't mean shit when it's terrible.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2013-08-23 at 01:21 AM.

@zaxlor

GW2 has piss poor content even for being 1year old. Everything is easy faceroll and could be done in a couple weeks from launch. I'm an MMO player, not a farmville fanatic which seems to sum this game up, just a facebook app you log in to collect your daily shit rewards with RNG and mindless clicking. Log out and forget the game exists until the next 2 week farm update.

I mean what is there to do in these world events other than spam your best AoE attack? You guys really think that's fun? Yuck! Challenge is good for the brain, and justifies the reward at the end.

I want difficult dungeons (or yes, raids) ala Liadri which I personally loved and expected more of out of this update. Nope, just more faceroll garbage collecting RNG that I could do in my sleep.

I guess too many people cried over Liadri that they wanted to add more content a 3 year old could accomplish with ease. I understand ANet wants to have casuals in their game but what they don't want is people that actually want to work for their rewards and no I don't mean grind endlessly, looking at you retarded legendary system.

Shit just baffles me, yo. Enjoy your farmville though man I'll continue being a drone in WoW! Btw I played GW1 for 7 years, too bad ANet abandons things that they don't like anymore.

PS: more content doesn't mean shit when it's terrible.
    The problem is that there are other players playing the game. Players that don't enjoy stuff that is difficult. Not every patch will suit you.

Just for interest sake, I did 3 invasions tonight and all were 3 failed events. People need to work in a coordinated fashion. Zergs kill you in that event.

@zaxlor SNIP
    I'll bite again!

WoW has piss poor content even for being 9 years old. LFR is easy facefull and can be done a couple of weeks after a patch has been launched. I'm an MMO player, not a farmville fanatic which seems to sum this game up, just a facebook app you log in to collect your daily shit rewards with RNG and mindless clicking. Log out and forget the game exists until the next 6 month raid update.

Break a game down to it's basics and of course it falls flat on it's ass. You can say that about any game. Yes, this clockwork menace event content is pretty much one big zerg event (though broken up all around the map, rather than in one direct area until the final event pops), but what did you expect? Really? What did you expect? GW2 to suddenly not be...GW2?

Have any MMOs ever really changed much from their original goals? Well, there was Star Wars Online and look at how well the NGE turned out for that game! Final Fantasy 14 did it too, but the difference between 1.0 and Realm Reborn is litterally like playing two different games.

I am not saying that GW2 is some pinacle of gaming, that every single person the second they pop out the womb should start playing and never once question how god-damn amazing it is. It has it's flaws. It has it's cracks. But for "free" content that you've only had to pay the box cost for, updated twice a month, is and should be the pinacle of gaming.

What you want, clearly isn't GW2. Or rather, is pretty niche. I was suprised they set the bar so hard for those arena fights, considering most of the GW2 content is pretty faceroll (speaking of events, not dungeons or high level fractals as I've got no experience of either), but if you want them to release more arena combatents every 2 weeks, you'd be better off playing through Demon or Dark Souls, or even buy something like Super Street Fighter or Marvel vs Capcom.

Either way, http://abload.de/img/yearonefinalzkkk0.png goes to show just how much has been added to the game, faceroll, hardcore, in-between or what ever. Give me GW2s free updates over any sub based games content any day.

Deleted
    As a naughty child who recently (Started playing during Dragon's Bash) picked up GW2 again after playing it during release and then left it to rot once MoP came around, I can very definitely say that it still feels like the same old Guild Wars 2 after I successfully got my bearings straight again. It's still got this silly, carefree and adventurous tone of letting you do whatever you want, however you want, anywhere you want.

That said, as far as I understood regarding permanent major changes, I can only really think of Southsun Cove (a new landmass to explore, seems quite empty though :/), Fractals (a set of mini-dungeons, only done them like twice so can't really comment), Ascended jewelry (A new gear tier), guild missions (Haven't experienced them, I despise other human beings, hoho), a bunch of activities/minigames on a set rotation, new PvP maps/modes and the ever so convenient account wallet, merging all your characters' riches into a single bag. And as a disclaimer, this is what I consider meaningful, some others might think that new armour skins are amazing and totally hypeable. I personally say "Bleh!" to those because ArenaNet are seemingly determined to make everything look awful on Charr. :P

I suppose GW2s shtick is the Living Story thing with frequent updates, though. Charming and refreshing, sure, but I honestly wouldn't mind if they slowed down a little to fix the glaring balance issues and bugs that have been pestering the last few patches on release. Having to download like three quickfix patches on a Patch day release makes me question ArenaNet's QA Team ethos.

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference between WoW and GW2 zax is Blizzard actually caters to both crowds, of course LFR is faceroll it's for the people that just want free loot and afk autoattack just like 99% of the content in this game. On the other hand there is heroic raids and challenge modes for competent players, not to mention they actually know how to optimize their game and have a target nearest player not forcing you to tab target through 100 pets and a myriad of particle effects. Herp derp just AoE since this game doesn't prioritize you clicking on your target when a pet is anywhere near them.

I don't expect the game to change, but let's be honest it already has done a 180 per the manifesto and GW1. Yeah I did expect hardcore content, it was everywhere in GW1. We haven't seen anything like HM WiK or DoA, FoW, UW, etc. just lame ass zerg dungeons and events. And I especially expect amazing content when they've taken out the trinity and replaced it with literally nothing but DPS. Hell, the beginning quests in MoP have more mechanics than the fights in GW2. That is saaaaaaaaaaad.

A game doesn't need to change to add hard content, but I'm sure you're one of those people that will scream for a 'LFR' because content is too hard and you're entitled to see it. I'm just assuming, since you seem to enjoy the borefest that is GW2.

Hm. It doesn't seem like this conversation on the difficulty of combat or the game overall is relevant to the thread premise of "major changes". At least not in the conversation ongoing at the moment. Also seems entirely too subjective and bracketed in words like "borefest", "amazing" and so forth.

A conversation on specific gameplay aspects related to combat & game depth or difficulty is probably not in the parameters of this thread, guys.

Consider this a stay on target reminder.

-- Fencers